THE WOW FACTOR

:thumbup:

I've said that many times as one of my all-time favorite drum corps moments ever.

I remember Blue Rock entering the field in a tight block formation....looked like something from SPARTACUS in Roman times. very intimidating !!!

The first time I saw St. Kevin's come to the starting line at a Dream Contest. As they marched on (silently) arms swung, INCLUDING horn. Gave the impression they were stopping between steps every time the horn was full forward or full rear. Neat effect.

St. Lucy's, middle 60s, Clifton Stadium....lights (rental truck.....lights on extension ladders......noisy generator) went out at end of color pres. After a delay to get them back on, they continued. At least they weren't assessed a timing penalty.

Les Dips block turn---- saw it in same Dream as the thunderstorm on Cru. (2 wow's .... one admission)

196? Dream.... Troopers brought wow factor to NJ....but Sac kept 1st place trophy in the diocese.

Grand Prix 1........ Hinchliffe Stadium, Paterson. The newly-merged Rochester Grey Knight Crusaders Off-the-line, color pres, and exit seemed to last 10 minutes EACH !! awesome corps, awesome sound.....

And of course...... 1962 "Starlight Drum Fiesta" at Clifton Stadium (my FIRST attendance at a competition). "What IS that sound?" Our Lady of Loretto..WOW !!! "What IS that sound???".........and then an exhibition by some older guys....... The Caballeros!!! "WOW... What WAS that sound?" Within two months, I was a member of the Fair Lawn Police Cadets trying to "push the (only) valve (forward), the music goes 'round and 'round, and it comes out ..."..... nothing yet....maybe next week.

Joe Dz in NJ

I remember Blue Rock entering the field in a tight block formation....looked like something from SPARTACUS in Roman times. very intimidating !!!

How about the old fashioned 'PRODUCTION NUMBER " The Hurcs 'CARAVAN " Ny's "MISERLOU",the CAB'S "FLAMENCO CHA CHA...ST. LUCY'S 'GIRL FROM IPONIMA." HAVA NAGILA....SKY/BALLANTINE/BOSTON CRUSADERS/. Sac's "MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY ...etc...I remember sitting in the stands already knowing the corps routines,..saying to everyone 'wait till you hear this...here it comes!!!!

Living about a mile from Aquinas Stadium allowed me many opportunities for WOW moments...and many came from the corps entering the field from under the tunnel. You knew which corps it was even with a blindfold on because of their intensity and their own trademark "street beat"...Cabs, Sky and Hurcs in particular.

Kilties at Cleveland in 1964, Royal Airs seemingly floating off the line at Mc Cormick place, 1966 Cavaliers Bully are all worthy of mention. Cabs soloists were always a WOW factor!

One that I will NEVER forget is when John Grass held out the double Bb with one hand for seemingly a minute or more during Sky's broadway closer.

And two performances that I was actually a part of...Auburn Purple Lancers after the rain stopped in Ithaca to make DCI finals in 1974....and 1975 Phoenix prelims performance to place 4th in DCA after competing in RCA all year! Jumpin Joe was a little upset over that one.

Donny

That "line-perfect" front the Troopers did in 65(?)and the color pres, it was like the flag came out of nowhere. I get chills (and a little teary) whenever I listen to it. I think I was 10 when I saw that, great show, and Sac was, well Sac. I also recall Reilly's rifle line did a jig I think. Cabs rocked, or was it cha-cha'd? Anyway what I remember most was the big grin on my dad's face. He never played, but he loved it just as much as I did/do.

Thanks BB.

The company front by 1972 CRUSADERS after marching backfield turning coming back at the crowd with the girl on the shield on 2 guy's shoulders holding up the American flag while played loud than louder than louder.......

One moment I'll never forget occurred in the early 70's at the Dream. We (Hurcs) had gone on and I went to the stands to watch. When it was time for the Skyliners, the big back gate opened, Butch gave "Ready...Move" and that famous streat beat thundered through the stadium. As the drum line marched to their starting spot, it became apparent that the rest of the corps was not following!

Butch (or Wink?) finally went over to the drum line....in an animated fashion, asking where everyone was? you could see the drummers responding with a shrugged shoulder...I duno' look! In short order Grass stood at the front wall and let loose with those four famous notes..".New York New York" where-by, throughout the stands, peppered all over the place, guys started standing up, gathering up equipment and putting on their Red Jackets!.......muttering things like "We gotta go" and "Hey how'd it get so late."

As they streamed down the isles , hopped the wall to take to their starting positions, needless to say, the place went NUTS! As you would imagine ....the Skyliners owned Roosevelt Stadium that day. They'd managed to infiltrate and prank the most astute drum corps crowd of the era!

Those years seem to blur together now, but I'll bet Andy "a drummer in a red jacket" Lisko could add a detail or two!

One moment I'll never forget occurred in the early 70's at the Dream. We (Hurcs) had gone on and I went to the stands to watch. When it was time for the Skyliners, the big back gate opened, Butch gave "Ready...Move" and that famous streat beat thundered through the stadium. As the drum line marched to their starting spot, it became apparent that the rest of the corps was not following!

Butch (or Wink?) finally went over to the drum line....in an animated fashion, asking where everyone was? you could see the drummers responding with a shrugged shoulder...I duno' look! In short order Grass stood at the front wall and let loose with those four famous notes..".New York New York" where-by, throughout the stands, peppered all over the place, guys started standing up, gathering up equipment and putting on their Red Jackets!.......muttering things like "We gotta go" and "Hey how'd it get so late."

As they streamed down the isles , hopped the wall to take to their starting positions, needless to say, the place went NUTS! As you would imagine ....the Skyliners owned Roosevelt Stadium that day. They'd managed to infiltrate and prank the most astute drum corps crowd of the era!

Those years seem to blur together now, but I'll bet Andy "a drummer in a red jacket" Lisko could add a detail or two!

HAHA ... good one Fish ... I never knew we impressed you with anything back in the day ... :smile: ... the stunt ... er ... well planned entrance we pulled off that day was purely spontaneous ... I think it had something to do with the rain ... the last time we "executed" it was with the Alumni Corps at DCA in 2002 at Scranton ... yeah ... that rain disaster ... it went from NO PLUMES ... to NO UNIS ... to LET'S COME IN FROM THE STANDS!!!! ... AGAIN!!!! ... true to form ... unscripted ... purely spontaneous ... I remember Grass (yeah, the same guy) sitting next to Petrone in 2002, chatting as we wer being announced and then saying "Mickey ... I gotta go ..." ... blew those ever familiar four notes standing next to him in the stands ... and sauntering down the steps to the field, with the rest of the corps ... Mickey just muttered, "Gxx Dxxx NY ... NO PENALTY!" ... then chomped on his cigar and smiled ... I then meandered down to the field, drum in tote ... classic!

:-)

Yes, that was cool...with the neat bass drum lick as they moved around.

In Garfield we took the opposite approach...we always marched single file to a single bass tap. My parents used to watch for us; they loved to see the plumes moving in the distance when we were marching towards the field area.