Fusion going Open?

FUSION...........A OR OPEN  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Should Fusion make the transition to open?

• YES
    • No
  2. 2. Does it make a difference

• Yes
    • No

How nice would it be to be a member in a 12 member mello or TUBA line. Stagger breathing would be a breeze, but smaller lines playing kick a** parts at 180 bpm is much more challenging. It's no easy task AND you don't get much, if any credit for the extra effort being put in.

You know, I was with you until you wrote this. It's not "more challenging". Sure, you my be working harder, but you're certainly not working smarter. It's like Jeff said a few posts earlier, it's all about smart design. It's about WHAT you do with WHO you have.

There are times where having 12 tubas is much more difficult than simply having two. There's no default answer here, it's all about what you design. And sadly, many Class A corps have not designed all that smart over the last few years. They clean great, but in the end, you can't polish a turd (and that goes just as much for Open class).

Any corps that thinks they should get "extra credit" for being small is doing it wrong.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 1

You know, I was with you until you wrote this. It's not "more challenging". Sure, you my be working harder, but you're certainly not working smarter. It's like Jeff said a few posts earlier, it's all about smart design. It's about WHAT you do with WHO you have.

There are times where having 12 tubas is much more difficult than simply having two. There's no default answer here, it's all about what you design. And sadly, many Class A corps have not designed all that smart over the last few years. They clean great, but in the end, you can't polish a turd (and that goes just as much for Open class).

Any corps that thinks they should get "extra credit" for being small is doing it wrong.

I have to respectfully disagree John having played in big lines and small line, however I do agree with the flip side of having 12 tubas vs. two. There's more people that need to play like one which has it's own set of challenges.

There also is no room for having someone march around the field with a horn in their hands that really can't play but can march really well.....not that any of the corps do that, but it's easier to do in a 55 man horn line than a 26.

• Like 1

As an individual, in a smaller corps what you do on the field is more exposed to the judges and the people in the stands. I'm not going to speak for Holly but I find that more challenging. And design can only go so far in masking any mis-steps, wrong notes or not playing at all. I've seen slight drill flubs in full size corps and small corps and guess which ones are more glaring. Also in my posts and the way I read this (could be mistaken) the focus is on the individual and not on the design.

And I missed where anyone wanted extra credit....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

In the end size does matter. A larger corps can make a few mistakes here or there and they might get away with it, but if a smaller corps makes the same mistakes it stands out like a whore in church.

• Like 2

In the end size does matter. A larger corps can make a few mistakes here or there and they might get away with it, but if a smaller corps makes the same mistakes it stands out like a whore in church.

What church do you go to? :w00t:

• Like 1

What church do you go to? :w00t:

The church of Drum Corps, hard knocks and heavy machinery. In my junior days we had a perc instructor who started out in Blessed Sac, moved on to the Polish Falcons and aged out with SCV. He later went on to instruct a DCA line and became the most frustrated SOB I ever knew. The judges would alway give him the old blah blah blah explanation about this or that. They were marching seven snares and three tenors with a full bass line at the time and they were pretty clean, but they couldn't score. He finally got fed up and said "Look, why don't you guys just tell me that we don't have the size". He even tried to recruit me in mid-season. (no kidding). It was flattering, but I was too close to age out so I guess we'll never know.

Edited by Piper
  • Like 1

good is good, size matters not. In fact, size sometimes gets too much of a break in the numbers IMO

• Like 1

For the past couple of years, many people have asked me "why isn't Fusion open"? Well, we've made our decision but we want to hear what our drum corps community thinks about A vs. Open for Fusion.

Does it make that much of a difference? I've heard from time to time different people say "well, I'd march Fusion but you guys are Class A. The question I have is "what makes it different"? Good drum Corps is good drum corps isn't it?

I do have to say........I love Class A. I think they are the classiest group of Directors I've had the pleasure working with. We have always been able to turn to each other for advice, input, suggestions, etc. It's been a pleasure and I'm very proud of being part of DCA's Class A!!

Your thread here does confuse me a bit. If you were seriously considering open class, you would not be making that decision in February. Therefore, let me be the first to wish you the best in your pursuit of the 2012 DCA class A title.

If your corps is ready, willing and able to take on more than 65 members for 2013, then announce your "intention" to make the 2013 corps an open class entry in September of 2012. If potential members really will fall from the trees the instant you are no longer a class A corps, that announcement will shake the trees prior to that first rehearsal.

After that, remember that the deadline to declare class selection is June 1. You do not need to make that declaration until then. And if you have 65 or less members at the end of May, it is still your choice which class to enter even if you originally "intended" to go open class.

It is okay for any corps that attracts under 65 to go class A, and it is okay for any corps that attracts over 65 to go open.

• Like 1

Thanks for bringing that up. When we first started fusion we set goals for ourself. I believe most people who start any kind of business or organization set short and long term goals so this isn't a decision that is being made in "February".

At the end of last year, we, the admin assessed where we were at the end of our fifth year and did an evaluation of the season and the past five years. We made our decision based off that assessment.

im a firm believer that size should NOT matter. programming, finance, talent, etc. should be the drive behind your decision.

This post was for fun. It's a good topic for DCP. It makes an interesting read. We know what we're doing. This topic did not change our decision it just provided some drum corps stimulation.