Fantasia video

TrishDish1002

I saw it on Youtube. It's a good show. Very dark, and very well staged, all rifle which I love (like San Jose's all sabre show a while back) but it's just another take on a good old "World War 2 and Nazis theme" with a "shocker" ending. There's no reason for this not to be on the Fan Network. I don't know why WGI would have such a problem with it -there has been worse!

I subscribe to the Fan Network because I can't go to regionals (they are all too far away) but I still want to follow the shows and their progression throughout the season.

If this is in fact a request by Fantasia - this disturbs me - as it sets a precedent for other guards to request the same thing (and you know some will!)

So why would I pay for this service if I'm not getting the product I paid for???

Later,

Mike

Edited by Guardguy89
  • Like 1

Being a big fan of Fantasia, I am very disappointed that the show is not on FanNetwork because I would like to watch it over and over and over.... However, I will say another issue from this regional is being overlooked due to this distraction. Am I the only one with an issue with Arcadia? I hate to use words like crime, stealing, plagiarism, etc. - so I won't. I'll leave those descriptions to other people. I do like their show for the same reasons I like the original version produced by Emerald Marquis way back when. I can see that Arcadia has a very talented staff (and kids), so I am perplexed as to why/how the staff came to the conclusion for this "idea" for this as a show. Seems like someone already had this idea 15 years ago (and was successful doing it). I don't see it as a "tribute" and I don't think they have improved upon the previous iteration, seems to me to just be "borrowed". okay, I did think of another issue about this regional - the write-up on the wgi website. Funny how the writer has wonderful descriptions and accolades for even the "less than" wonderful groups, but when he gets to Fantasia (who were clearly the stand-outs of the day) seems to have developed writer's block. This is not an exact transcript from the WGI website but the general idea - - "So and so colorguard" in Scholastic A - blah blah blah wonderful wonderful yadda yadda yadda for four sentences. Then the description for Fantasia - They entered the gym, did their show, and left. Seriously? ...or perhaps the staff of Fantasia requested that no description of their show be written, lest ye be stricken down by lightning.... Legal disclaimer - All of the preceding was my opinion only.

The post description review, was edited by the governing organization.

Edited by DesingerK

Its not hard to find online.

Its here

I am glad that this is from the first show. I hope they stay strong and don't change the firing squad moments. Do you hear the crowd screaming when the last guy can't do it? It seems to be the biggest reaction to the whole show, more than any "trick". I am also glad because my memory thought the ending changed from this show to the regional, and I hope they go back to it. The difference was that at the regional the last lady gets up to approach the German to pick up his arm band. She should stay on the ground like this first version. She doesn't owe him any debt of gratitude as somewhat implied by her retrieval of the arm band. She should just leave it on the ground where it belongs like the piece of garbage it has become.

I hope you all had time to see the link before it was removed because according to DCP policy, links are not allowed to be posted unless an organization promotes it.

Sorry....PM me for more (ahem) "info"!

• Like 1

maybe what fantansia is doing as far as their video isthe beginning of guards taking the power away from the video companies and circuits and taking control....maybe..who knows... I know of several circuit guards angry last year that video companies controled and then made money off them .

AS far as the show I have seen it and I think although well thought out possibibly a line has been crossed. :blink:

I'll ask again..If this were an A guard or open guard or a bottom World guard would they get rewarded for this show?...HMMMMMMMMMMMM

Edited by GUARDLING

My concern with the video not being posted has nothing to do with the content of the show. What concerns me is the precedent that is being set. Can other guards now request the same thing in order to not be viewed outside of their own region prior to Dayton? The whole thing leaves a bad taste of "playing the game" in my mouth.

The other question is what constitutes objectionable content. Some could argue that they should pull down other controversial shows such as Northmont 1997.....after-all a girl does hang herself mid show.

Yes, I found Fantasia a bit shocking when I first watched it.....shocking is not always a bad thing....It certainly got people talking. If you watch the ending it actually shows the compassion of the last soldier.

• Like 1

Being a big fan of Fantasia, I am very disappointed that the show is not on FanNetwork because I would like to watch it over and over and over.... However, I will say another issue from this regional is being overlooked due to this distraction. Am I the only one with an issue with Arcadia? I hate to use words like crime, stealing, plagiarism, etc. - so I won't. I'll leave those descriptions to other people. I do like their show for the same reasons I like the original version produced by Emerald Marquis way back when. I can see that Arcadia has a very talented staff (and kids), so I am perplexed as to why/how the staff came to the conclusion for this "idea" for this as a show. Seems like someone already had this idea 15 years ago (and was successful doing it). I don't see it as a "tribute" and I don't think they have improved upon the previous iteration, seems to me to just be "borrowed". okay, I did think of another issue about this regional - the write-up on the wgi website. Funny how the writer has wonderful descriptions and accolades for even the "less than" wonderful groups, but when he gets to Fantasia (who were clearly the stand-outs of the day) seems to have developed writer's block. This is not an exact transcript from the WGI website but the general idea - - "So and so colorguard" in Scholastic A - blah blah blah wonderful wonderful yadda yadda yadda for four sentences. Then the description for Fantasia - They entered the gym, did their show, and left. Seriously? ...or perhaps the staff of Fantasia requested that no description of their show be written, lest ye be stricken down by lightning.... Legal disclaimer - All of the preceding was my opinion only.

First let me thank you for your very excellent review of Fantasia's show. WGI should approach you to do the reviews in your region. We can definitely hear the voices of the fans concerns to WGI to reconsider and post Fantasia's show to FanNetwork. I hope they do; I live on the East coast and I generally attend many WGI events but since WGI discontinued the Las Vegas regional I don't get a chance to see many of the West coast guards before Dayton championships. So FanNetwork is valuable to we paying customers.

Now on to your more personal vent. I am a huge fan of the now defunct EMASS circuit and bigger fan of Emerald Marquis. Here's a question to you; do you think Arcadia went to Dale Powers and told him they were doing this show/tribute? Most fans of the activity (that I know of) are not having the reaction that you are about Arcadia's show. I believe you mentioned you marched with EM so your main issue is that they are not doing a tribute but more of reproducing (I hate using the word ripped off) that show. Well, it never fails there's always something to talk about when it comes to WGI and who's doing what. Keep us informed if anything further develops. I'm sure both shows, once they arrive to Dayton, will be well received.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Yes Arcadia has large curtains, yes they move from stage left to stage right. Emerald Marquis is not the only guard that has used this as a staging method. If they were using the exact same staging, choreography and music I would have an issue.....however they are not.

• Like 1

Yes Arcadia has large curtains, yes they move from stage left to stage right. Emerald Marquis is not the only guard that has used this as a staging method. If they were using the exact same staging, choreography and music I would have an issue.....however they are not.

It's certainly is reminiscent of the same music and staging and set design, even the same composer. It is very similar.

As for fantasia, allowing them to do this should open the flood gates on other groups wanting this option to not be on the fan network.

This could be the end of regional videos being posted. And loss of income for wgi.

It is a huge disadvantage to have your show be scrutinized routinely on the fan network. By fans and judges alike. Through repeated viewings a show can lose its luster. If given the option many groups would much rather the show not be all over the Internet leading into wgi from the last regional weekend. It takes all the mystery and suprise away when the final product can be viewed multiple times as well as judges rehearsing tapes and organizing premeditated opinions and observations. really not much good comes of it from the purity of competition standpoint.

I cannot believe wgi is allowing this. And if it continues. I see alot of angered people and the fall of the fan network. Bolsheviks

• Like 2