DCA Accepting Bids For 2014, 2015 World Championships

The Northeast is a DCA stronghold and always has been, but it's having growing pains. Sooner or later it'll have to hold the championships outside of the Northeast. It's just a matter of time. JMO.

• Like 1

What about Hoboken, the sphincter of the world. No stadium, no hotels and no parking. It does have LOT'S of bars. sounds perfect.

I actually love Rochester, but do believe finals could/should be somewhere else...........tho speaking in generalities doesn't really get anywhere...........we could/should discuss and examine specific cities

How about the Columbus Crew Stadium in Columbus, OH? Columbus is a very nice city, similar size to Rochester. The airport (CMH) will help long distance travelers. Flights from US Airways and Southwest frequent those terminals all the time. There are plenty of locations within a 30 minute drive from the stadium where a corps could house.

The stadium itself IS another soccer stadium, which is a con, but at least the seating capacity is only 20,000. 8,000 of which are the home side seats which is perfect for DCA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbus_Crew_Stadium

Edited by irishbugle

Commonwealth Stadium at the University of Kentucky?? Bigger stadium so it would dwarf the audience a little bit but not like a professional football stadium, but it is a great area on a great campus.

http://en.wikipedia....dium_(Kentucky)

UK is known for their stellar basketball program. There football program on the other hand does not draw the kind of crowds the stadium was built to handle. It is likely, DCA could pick up this stadium for a good price.

It's not a terrible ride for the North East group, the South East group gets a reprieve from extensive travel, and those corps get to shave a few hours off of their travel too.

Edited by irishbugle

The Northeast is a DCA stronghold and always has been, but it's having growing pains. Sooner or later it'll have to hold the championships outside of the Northeast. It's just a matter of time. JMO.

Well... technically, the championship is outside of the Northeast this year... in the Mid-Atlantic. :rolleyes:

Seriously, though... I understand your point.

It's going to be Rochester. Not sure why anyone thinks otherwise.

as long as A) 15 is 4 lanes all theway across the PA line and B) the roast beef sandwiches are sold at the stadium, I'm fine.

My little girl will need to see why Rachacha is a Ream family history marker

right...and Annaplois is a sign to show movement. as Scott and I have said, the regions need to show they can suplly enough locals to make up for the NE fans that won't travel. Face it, many won't. The fan base is older, and travelling more than a few hours drive is costly. If the host city doesn't have the local support, it's screwed and the corps are screwed, because they payout drops or disappears.

Right now, I'm not sure of a region that can come close to having enough of a base to support finals weekend to account for folks that won't come. Spare me the WS talk, because rain or no rain, the base was not in place. $40 or higher tickets are not going to generate enough walk up business. Hell I've seen YEA paper the hell out of shows to fill up the most expensive seats so a show doesnt look empty, and that's in an area with DCi support

Commonwealth Stadium at the University of Kentucky?? Bigger stadium so it would dwarf the audience a little bit but not like a professional football stadium, but it is a great area on a great campus.

http://en.wikipedia....dium_(Kentucky)

UK is known for their stellar basketball program. There football program on the other hand does not draw the kind of crowds the stadium was built to handle. It is likely, DCA could pick up this stadium for a good price.

It's not a terrible ride for the North East group, the South East group gets a reprieve from extensive travel, and those corps get to shave a few hours off of their travel too.

and who is there or Columbus to build the local market?

Scranton had Doc, who was an institution. Rochester had Cru and Empire which was well known in the community.

what DCAcorps have a presence known in those two markets?

It'd be a tough sell for Lexington at Commonwealth Stadium. The Athletic Department freaks out about the marching band using their field and the state high school marching band finals is usually blamed for the Wildcats poor performance. Apparently Dinkles destroy a field whereas cleats don't. Kentucky hasn't had a good football team in, well... ever, so THAT couldn't be the reason. :rolleyes:

Kentucky actually has a ton of people at the football games but not to watch the team lose, rather to see and be seen during tailgating. It's quite the little party in the parking lot before and during the games.

Jeff's point of no local corps in the area is kind of the nail in the coffin for Lexington, as much as I'd love for championships to only be a 45 minute drive.

right...and Annaplois is a sign to show movement. as Scott and I have said, the regions need to show they can suplly enough locals to make up for the NE fans that won't travel. Face it, many won't. The fan base is older, and travelling more than a few hours drive is costly. If the host city doesn't have the local support, it's screwed and the corps are screwed, because they payout drops or disappears.

That is totally true...and speaking of older fan base...how about the Alumni Spectacular? Even if the field corps have no issue with a long trip, do the alumni corps that attended in 2011 have the infrastructure in place to travel an extended distance in 2012? Seems like 7 of the 9 corps are Northeast, plus two from Canada. How far would they be able to travel? Or does that matter? Are there a lot of alumni corps in other areas that might like to attend but can't because the Northeast is too far away??

Class A seems pretty wide-ranging in geography, but Open class still shows 5 from the Northeast, 2 Midwest, 1 West Coast and 3 from the South.

Annapolis seems like a noce way to branch out a little, but still be local enough to attract a lot of the 'regular' DCA fans. Hopefully some new ones will make the trip from other areas...Annapolis is a great spot to visit even without DCA!