DCA Accepting Bids For 2014, 2015 World Championships

It'd be a tough sell for Lexington at Commonwealth Stadium. The Athletic Department freaks out about the marching band using their field and the state high school marching band finals is usually blamed for the Wildcats poor performance. Apparently Dinkles destroy a field whereas cleats don't. Kentucky hasn't had a good football team in, well... ever, so THAT couldn't be the reason. :rolleyes:

Kentucky actually has a ton of people at the football games but not to watch the team lose, rather to see and be seen during tailgating. It's quite the little party in the parking lot before and during the games.

Jeff's point of no local corps in the area is kind of the nail in the coffin for Lexington, as much as I'd love for championships to only be a 45 minute drive.

Also, an SEC or ACC school is highly unlikely to sign a contract with anyone for use of their stadium on Labor Day, since ESPN can bribe a school into playing a Labor Day game with just 8 months notice.

That is totally true...and speaking of older fan base...how about the Alumni Spectacular? Even if the field corps have no issue with a long trip, do the alumni corps that attended in 2011 have the infrastructure in place to travel an extended distance in 2012? Seems like 7 of the 9 corps are Northeast, plus two from Canada. How far would they be able to travel? Or does that matter? Are there a lot of alumni corps in other areas that might like to attend but can't because the Northeast is too far away??

So ... here's the list of Alumni Corps performing:

Mighty St. Joe’s Alumni

Park City Pride

Hanover Lancers Alumni

Hawthorne Caballeros Alumni

New York Skyliners Alumni

Preston Scout House Alumni

Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights Alumni

Reilly Raiders

Sacramento Freelancers Alumni

Yankee Rebels Alumni

Bayonne Bridgemen Alumni

Toronto Optimists Alumni

I've highlighted (IMO) the corps who will have less miles to travel to MD than Rochester ...

:-)

• Like 2

Mighty St. Joe's Alumni

Park City Pride

Hanover Lancers Alumni

Reilly Raiders

Yankee Rebels Alumni

Bayonne Bridgemen Alumni

Toronto Optimists Alumni

I've highlighted (IMO) the corps who will have less miles to travel to MD than Rochester ...

While as the crow flies Rochester might be 150 miles closer to Sacramento than Annapolis, I'm willing to bet that total airfare is less... just sayin'

• Like 1

While as the crow flies Rochester might be 150 miles closer to Sacramento than Annapolis, I'm willing to bet that total airfare is less... just sayin'

I agree. If you do your homework, you can find some pretty good airfares in and out of Baltimore's BWI.

I do think if the Championships go very far away from the "Northeast" it will effect the "Alumni Spectacular". At least till more areas get to have the JOY of having more "Alumni(type) Corps".

Which is why I say a place " like Nashville ", which is ALSO a Big Tourest location, is so good. Some of the North East Alumni(Type) Corps could schedule a more " family Vacation ", around the Championships. Where as, Wife or Husband, might be at Practice or some of the other events. The Other Family members, could be out siteseeing and doing other things. Then go to which ever event's "their Family member" is in. (That also goes for the " Competing Corps " also.) Same for me as a FAN now. I am more likely to go to a DCA Championship in Nashville, Memphis TN, - Atlanta GA, Savannah GA, - Louisville/Lexington KY, - Mobile AL, - Charseton SC, or the like. Than to a say a Cleveland, Indianapolis, Madison, and the like. ( I must say. I would love to go to Denver or Kansas City also though. But I have doubts that will happen in the next 5 years.)

But no matter what. The main thing NEEDED is: "A Bid", from a Place that has ALL the things needed to do all the events, and lots of money to invest in the event that May or May not be, Profitable.

It's going to be Rochester. Not sure why anyone thinks otherwise.

So the fix is in?

• Like 1

Mighty St. Joe’s Alumni

Park City Pride

Hanover Lancers Alumni

Reilly Raiders

Yankee Rebels Alumni

Bayonne Bridgemen Alumni

Toronto Optimists Alumni

Oh, I was speaking about after Annapolis..people talking about Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana, etc...sorry I wasn't clear.

Oh Yes. I think this will be the Biggest & Very Best, "Alumni Spectacular" EVER:

List of the " 12 " Alumni (type) Corps performing:

Mighty St. Joe's Alumni

Park City Pride

Hanover Lancers Alumni

Reilly Raiders

Yankee Rebels Alumni

Bayonne Bridgemen Alumni

Toronto Optimists Alumni

One of the main reasons I plan to attend this year. But, I am also planning on attending "DCA Prelims" also. NOW, tie that to a GREAT LOCATION, with "many other things to see and do", just makes it more Desireable to ME, and my WIFE.

I will say that Rochester has alway's been nice. They (Rochester) seem to realy like having the Championships and do an OUTSTANDING job!!!! Hotels, Food, People, Stadium, Police, Everyone seems to CARE!!! (UN-like Scranton. Which I will NEVER go to again. I ALWAYS seem to have a bad time. Both DCA weekend and the big Legion show.)

Edited by 2B or not 2B

That is totally true...and speaking of older fan base...how about the Alumni Spectacular? Even if the field corps have no issue with a long trip, do the alumni corps that attended in 2011 have the infrastructure in place to travel an extended distance in 2012? Seems like 7 of the 9 corps are Northeast, plus two from Canada. How far would they be able to travel? Or does that matter? Are there a lot of alumni corps in other areas that might like to attend but can't because the Northeast is too far away??

Class A seems pretty wide-ranging in geography, but Open class still shows 5 from the Northeast, 2 Midwest, 1 West Coast and 3 from the South.

Annapolis seems like a noce way to branch out a little, but still be local enough to attract a lot of the 'regular' DCA fans. Hopefully some new ones will make the trip from other areas...Annapolis is a great spot to visit even without DCA!

as most alumni corps dont travel as much as competing corps do, it makes it a little easier to budget. But there are some new faces listed this year that make geographic sense

I do think if the Championships go very far away from the "Northeast" it will effect the "Alumni Spectacular". At least till more areas get to have the JOY of having more "Alumni(type) Corps".

Which is why I say a place " like Nashville ", which is ALSO a Big Tourest location, is so good. Some of the North East Alumni(Type) Corps could schedule a more " family Vacation ", around the Championships. Where as, Wife or Husband, might be at Practice or some of the other events. The Other Family members, could be out siteseeing and doing other things. Then go to which ever event's "their Family member" is in. (That also goes for the " Competing Corps " also.) Same for me as a FAN now. I am more likely to go to a DCA Championship in Nashville, Memphis TN, - Atlanta GA, Savannah GA, - Louisville/Lexington KY, - Mobile AL, - Charseton SC, or the like. Than to a say a Cleveland, Indianapolis, Madison, and the like. ( I must say. I would love to go to Denver or Kansas City also though. But I have doubts that will happen in the next 5 years.)

But no matter what. The main thing NEEDED is: "A Bid", from a Place that has ALL the things needed to do all the events, and lots of money to invest in the event that May or May not be, Profitable.

Ok nashville's got a lot to do...but...

up here school's already in session Labor Day weekend, so it makes it tough for family vacations. Also...where's the local DCA support there? Can Nashville prove they can run a regular season show that will draw fans?

people here Won't travel if it's too far away. people from PA didn't go to Rochester. People from Rochester didn't go to Scranton.

People from both won't go to Nashville. You need a big enough base in place to replace them