DCA Accepting Bids For 2014, 2015 World Championships

DCA Vice President Allen Buell announced this week that DCA will be accepting bids for the 2014, 2015 DCA World Championships. The DCA Championship presents not only a great time for drum corps fans and performers, but also is one of the largest conventions of its type each year. With several thousand participants and many [...]

... Read the rest of the article here - http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/2012/03/dca-accepting-bids-for-2014-2015-world-championships/

Los Angeles! :cool:

• Like 1

Ed, I agree... except for your second point.

The stadium is not always available Labor Day weekend. Quite often, Navy's football team has a home game that weekend. And a Navy home game means no drum corps show that weekend at the stadium.

Honestly... we are quite fortunate that there are no Navy home games either this year or next on that weekend. That's the reason the stadium is available in 2012 and 2013.

I would be willing to bet if the money is there for the local economy (which I believe it is) and the interested parties that a football schedule work around could and would be accommodated.

I really don't believe that regions outside the NE have any shot at getting a bid. IMHO.

Perhaps I have missed it but one place that has not really been mentioned is Annapolis. The first note has not been played there yet and everyone is screaming about going back to Rochester or other NE bound cities.

DCA needs to really take a hard look at Annapolis and not just the first years gate totals. Annapolis on the surface has a LOT of things in the plus column.

1. Its a football field.

2. Its available Labor day weekend

3. It geographically closer for MOST ALL CORPS except a very few

4. Airport Rates are cheaper and friendlier for everyone that must fly in

Lets really put our weight behind this before we abandon ship.

I want they place to succeed,........but:

A. Hotels are more expensive

B. Ticket sales are slow

• Like 1

I just hope that the Economy does not drop out before Labor Day. This $5.00 or $6.00 (or more) Gas thing could be a real killer. (Let alone the cost of eating out for a few day's). But, think Annapolis, is still close enough that things should turn out OK.

It looks to be one of the Best line ups of Corps in EVERY EVENT yet. AND! On a Real Football Field!

Now it is UP to US, Corps and FANS. To get there and make this work out.

Edited by 2B or not 2B

B. Ticket sales are slow

May I ask how you know the ticket sales are slow?

Ive been told by very reliable sources that they sold a HUGE amount of seats for Annapolis at last years Championships at the ticket booth and that sales are fair/steady as of this month.

Just wondering who your sources are because mine are pretty good.

May I ask how you know the ticket sales are slow?

Ive been told by very reliable sources that they sold a HUGE amount of seats for Annapolis at last years Championships at the ticket booth and that sales are fair/steady as of this month.

Just wondering who your sources are because mine are pretty good.

If you click on the tickets sales link on the DCA website, it will take you to seating charts showing specifically which seats are sold and which are available,..........I assume it is correct.........

B. Ticket sales are slow

My fear is that the voting block will ONLY look at ticket sales the first year and conclude championships will not work in other geographical areas.

It takes time.

I would be willing to bet if the money is there for the local economy (which I believe it is) and the interested parties that a football schedule work around could and would be accommodated.

Knowing some of the dynamics involved with the situation... I don't think there is any way possible that Navy would move a home game on that weekend to accomodate a drum corps show.

Among other things... to move the game, you're bringing radio/TV coverage logistics into play....plus the travel plans of the fans who are coming into the Annapolis area from out of town, or out of state, for that game.

Navy football has become a big deal in this neck of the woods. A home game is quite a boost to the local economy.

Don't get me wrong... I wish we could be in Annapolis for 10 years, even if I didn't live in the area. The stadium is a terrific venue, and the area (including Annapolis, Washington DC, Baltimore and Maryland's Eastern Shore) is great for sightseeing.

But with the football situation, that isn't going to happen.

Edited by Fran Haring

Fran,

It could be done by moving the Navy game to FedEx stadium, but unless you're playing ND or Army you are not going to fill up the stadium and cover the costs they will charge Navy to use the Redskin' s stadium. If Navy fills up their stadium for home games, but DCA can't, I know what decision I'd make. Thanks, but no thanks, our fans bring more money to the economy than DCA fans do. You are right on the mark.

However, I am salivating over the thought of Chesapeake Bay Clam Cakes. None in NE Texas. Want to trade for some Brisket?

Kevin

If you click on the tickets sales link on the DCA website, it will take you to seating charts showing specifically which seats are sold and which are available,..........I assume it is correct.........

Another method of determining from whence the paying audience is coming would be to run a list of the ZIP codes to which those sold tickets are being sent.

If very few, for example, are going to the 44xxx or 43xxx ZIP codes, then we should probably rule out the Cleveland or Columbus areas for a DCA weekend. If the lion's share of the ZIP codes are in the northeast, then probably that's the place to stay - at least for the foreseeable future.