DCA Accepting Bids For 2014, 2015 World Championships

Oh, don't get me wrong. I understand the "NEED" for All the events to be "FULL of Paying FANS". Having it in a Proven place like Rochester. (OR, even better for ME. North Jersey or Philadelphia would be Fantastic for me and many, many other NE Fans.)

Just was saying how a place like "Nashville" that is:

a good Tourest area,(with lots of Hotels and other things to see and do),

a place where marching band is Big,

a place that has BOTH a DCI and a DCA group there,

a place with Many good Stadiums,

a place out of the NE yet close enough to drive.

"MIGHT" -- be a good place, " if " a bid could be made.

the key is the number of paying fans. the corps make money from finals. Annapolis is setp 1. the regions need to keep building the buzz

• Like 1

ALLENTOWN.....

nope. The Fair is in full swing, and hotel space is limited. Also issues with High school sports will affect many groups and their rehearsal plans.

What about that new soccer stadium over in Harrison, New Jersey?

Red Bull Stadium. I literally am right across from in at the office. Still have yet to be in it so I can't give you any idea what it is like inside. I can tell you the soil is such a mess from the chemical plant that formerly occupied the area that grass can not grow on the areas surrounding the stadium. We have watched them apply spray on grass no less than 10 times in the last 2 years and it won't last for more than 3 days. And there really isn't any area for corps to warm up before going in.

Ad much as I would loe to be able to roll out of bed and be at championships in under a half hour, I do not think that is the right place. I can send confirming pictures if anyone would like of the toxic mudbowl.

Before holding Championships outside the Northeast region, it'd be a good idea to first host a "super regional" in another region first to test the waters. For it to work though, at least a few of the big name corps from the NE would need to attend to get an accurate impression of the potential success of championships. It'd be a good financial stress-test for the corps that don't normally travel that long of a distance to gauge the viability of everyone traveling to that region.

Nashville, specifically Murfreesboro, embraces the DCI show really well and is a superb stadium. However, the area has been slow to warm to the idea of DCA. Although, having the really great corps come down might help make the case that DCA can be great and even be at the performance level one would expect from a top DCI corps. There's a number of people in Nashville that have gone our their way to discourage the DCA model but it's hard to argue the case when the great corps go unseen by the locals.

Of course, with the marching arts so centered around Indy I think it'd make sense to consider that as an option. The big problem that already plagues DCI is housing and rehearsal space which could be an even bigger problem for the Labor Day weekend time-frame.

Edited by Hulka
  • Like 1

You're missing TSU's campus entirely. And I bet you could get support from them to host.

I didn't miss it at all. I stated that Nashville has some very nice stadiums. That would be one of them. Of the ones that had been mentioned Vandy and Titans,,I stated those would never happen.

Before holding Championships outside the Northeast region, it'd be a good idea to first host a "super regional" in another region first to test the waters. For it to work though, at least a few of the big name corps from the NE would need to attend to get an accurate impression of the potential success of championships. It'd be a good financial stress-test for the corps that don't normally travel that long of a distance to gauge the viability of everyone traveling to that region.

Nashville, specifically Murfreesboro, embraces the DCI show really well and is a superb stadium. However, the area has been slow to warm to the idea of DCA. Although, having the really great corps come down might help make the case that DCA can be great and even be at the performance level one would expect from a top DCI corps. There's a number of people in Nashville that have gone our their way to discourage the DCA model but it's hard to argue the case when the great corps go unseen by the locals.

Of course, with the marching arts so centered around Indy I think it'd make sense to consider that as an option. The big problem that already plagues DCI is housing and rehearsal space which could be an even bigger problem for the Labor Day weekend time-frame.

The ONE show like your "super regional" idea was the show in Winston Salem NC in 2005 which had some great corps and would have had even better attendance had it not been for the horrible weather.

Why it never happened again, I don't know.

• Like 2

my name is Jeff Ream, and except the part about Indy, I approve of this post

The ONE show like your "super regional" idea was the show in Winston Salem NC in 2005 which had some great corps and would have had even better attendance had it not been for the horrible weather.

I think that contest was a move in the right direction and was very well planned by some very smart and proggressive thinkers. Had it not been for the weather and the lack of travel on the parts of the die hard NE FANS the contest would have drawn 4k fans.

I don't think looking at JUST the attendance numbers that weekend was in the best interest of DCA.

That contest had a lot going for it. Do another one like that with the full weight of the top DCA corps in a spot like Ohio or INDY on a good weather weekend,,,get the support of the NE fans to travel and you will have something.

Or we can just keep having smaller contests like we have now and keep losing contest and eventully there will be no DCA at all.

IMO.....location. There was no real DCi base there, let alone a DCA base. a $40 ticket is not going to grab the average Joe off of the street to entice them to come see "marching bands". While the lineup was solid, PR outside of DCP hypewas not much despite some big promises made. To add to it, there wasn't much else to do down there that would entice travellers.

I'm glad I went, and it was a great lineup, but the place was not ready yet. With 6+ years since, it'll take even more work to get it there

I think that contest was a move in the right direction and was very well planned by some very smart and proggressive thinkers. Had it not been for the weather and the lack of travel on the parts of the die hard NE FANS the contest would have drawn 4k fans.

I don't think looking at JUST the attendance numbers that weekend was in the best interest of DCA.

That contest had a lot going for it. Do another one like that with the full weight of the top DCA corps in a spot like Ohio or INDY on a good weather weekend,,,get the support of the NE fans to travel and you will have something.

Or we can just keep having smaller contests like we have now and keep losing contest and eventully there will be no DCA at all.

attendance IS very important. the corps get the money from finals weekend, minus any DCA administrative costs. Yes, Scranton held less than Rochester does, but the corps got money. Now cut the Scranton crowd in half, and tell me how much the corps get?

This is where Annapolis is very important to helping prove DCA can survive in areas outside of the norm, and the Annapolis area is outside of the norm geographically. There have only been a few attempts to run shows in that area by Shenandoah Sound in the last few years. Until They got up and running, the last DCA corps in that region was the Yankee Rebels, who had not been competitive since 1981. While corps like Bucs,Sound, Cabs, Bush, Fusion and Windsor may have members from the "bay area" and may teach the numerous bands down there that compete in TOB or USBands, it's not a known DCA hotspot.

and I don't care how hard you try to sell me, finals night prices are not going to entice Floyd the Barber, his wife Ethel and their son Jimmy the fisherman to go see some "marching band show". It's going to take a lot of marketing to the schools down there, as well as maybe something with the Academy, and possibly wrking with TOB and USBands to push the event hard. One good thing is many folks in the PA areas that did not go to Rochesterdue to the distance may be enticed to drive 2/3 hours to Annapolis. The downside is folks from the Rochester/Buffalo/Syracuse/Canada areas may not want to drive 7 plus hours to Annapolis.

DCA's fan base is still trending older, and travel isn't always easy when you're older. One good thing is several major airports are only an hour or so away