SCV Corps Jacket Sold on eBay

I can certainly understand (and do entirely sympathize with) the animosity the sale of this particular jacket has aroused in some, but with that in mind, I do have a question...

My younger brother spent a couple of years with the Bridgemen back in the early 80's, and has one of the classic black and yellow satin corps jackets with all the stitching on the back. I will also note here that his name and section are NOT on the jacket. He sweated a lot and never wore it so as not to ruin it. To date, I've been to literally tens of hundreds of shows across the country, and haven only seen this particular jacket TWICE.

My brother went on to spend years and age out with another Top 12 corps, and while he respects the time he spent with Bayonne, he'd really prefer to sell the jacket to someone who would appreciate more than he does.

Is this wrong?

I can certainly understand (and do entirely sympathize with) the animosity the sale of this particular jacket has aroused in some, but with that in mind, I do have a question...

My younger brother spent a couple of years with the Bridgemen back in the early 80's, and has one of the classic black and yellow satin corps jackets with all the stitching on the back. I will also note here that his name and section are NOT on the jacket. He sweated a lot and never wore it so as not to ruin it. To date, I've been to literally tens of hundreds of shows across the country, and haven only seen this particular jacket TWICE.

My brother went on to spend years and age out with another Top 12 corps, and while he respects the time he spent with Bayonne, he'd really prefer to sell the jacket to someone who would appreciate more than he does.

Is this wrong?

IMO, the only wrong is if a person who buys a jacket wears it and acts like they were a corps member. Then again I'm in my mid 50s and more and more I look at all the crap I have and wonder what would happen to it all if anything happens to me.

My corps stuff would probably get crap-canned unless some collectors make it to the on-site auction when the house gets emptied.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

IMO, the only wrong is if a person who buys a jacket wears it and acts like they were a corps member. Then again I'm in my mid 50s and more and moe I look at all the crap I have and wonder what would happen to it all if anything happens to me.

My corps stuff would probably get crap-canned unless some collectors make it to the on-site auction when the house gets emptied.

I completely agree, and this is my point. As long as the buyer doesn't go on to do a "stolen drum corps valor" routine, I don't really see the problem with this, judging from the pictures of the Vanguard jacket at the link.

• Like 1

I completely agree, and this is my point. As long as the buyer doesn't go on to do a "stolen drum corps valor" routine, I don't really see the problem with this, judging from the pictures of the Vanguard jacket at the link.

Hmmm... maybe I shouldn't wear the Booster Button I bought either....

Says I supported the Jersey Skeeters D&BC - Hackensack, NJ..... in 1948.... :tongue:

• Like 2

After seeing this thread, I did an E-Bay seach for my corps and found this.

Madison Scouts Jacket

The original price for a member jacket wasn't paid in cash. I told my wife that if she decides to have me buried when I leave this world, it should be with my corps jacket on.

Ok, so you earned your jacket, I get it. I'm just asking how much they cost originally as a point of interest. Did they corps buy them? Did the jacket company throw jackets instead of babies? Some money changed hands somewhere down the line. My guess is $80 in 1994 dollars.

What in the... Whoever sold it must have just found lying around somewhere. They seem to not know anything about SCV or Drum Corps.

I asked the seller how he got the jacket, he replied that it was one of the items won in a storage locker auction.

The description mentions the name "Brian" and that he was in the horn line. Does anyone know Brian, and if so, can you ask him what happened?

Hi Michael, I checked the SCV Alumni Roster for 1994. There were three Brians in that year's horn line. Two have come forth saying it's not theirs, and the third was sent an e-mail by a mutual friend. He has yet to respond...

Please don't assume whoever bought the jacket is going to parade around saying they were Brian from the 94 horn line. The person might be a collector, might make it into a pillow, might return it to the corps or might be Brian reclaiming his long lost property.

At $132 did this jacket appreciate in price? How much was it originally?

Understood. I don't think they'll wear that jacket in public anytime soon.

The auction started at $19.99.

... and then?

"The rest is up to you..." - Peter Gabriel

• Like 1