Blue Stars move to Jupiter, Mapex and Majestic.

If this will save them some money for increasing gas costs, more power to them. i think that sometimes, corps should go with the cheaper company in order to keep them financially solvent. :thumbup:

And the Jupiter horns are much nicer now than people give them credit for, and they are great when it comes to balance and holding in the hands.

The Jupiter horns play pretty well, too.

It's just the sound. Yes, it was a different hornline, but '08 Phantom, '09-'10 Blue Stars, hell, even BD in '10 (they sound good now- but the "normal" Kings made them sound great too). Those King hornlines just sound great.

Ok, at first I thought holding their entire spring training in Indianapolis was just a tad far from LaCrosse, bu t this is just way over the line. I mean, with the price of fuel these days, how are these kids supposed to find their way to Jupiter? Last time I checked, I'm pretty sure there are no $99 one-way deals there on Southwest. Heck, just getting to Canada these days is hard enough. And, have you seen the weather there? You think LaCrosse can get cold in the springtime? Try another million miles or so away from the sun. Geez, what is their corps leadership thinking???

• Like 9

Marched Mapex last year. Everything broke and our Stars veteran snare tech could not figure out how to make them sound better. Otherwise don't have any experience to comment.

As a Mapex marcher, I'll admit that there are far more admirable makers on the market. However, I feel that when tuned well (and NOT using PowerMax heads), their basses and quads are the best sounding ones out there. Here's hoping the Blue Stars can adjust to the weight too...

The only complaint I have against the Jupiter/Mapex/Majestic collective is that they haven't really figured out field frame design. Their instruments sound ok. But they are the only company still using round accessory bars on their boards, and the frames themselves aren't particularly well built. However, with a drum corps, they are going to have reps ready to help them out at any given time, so those are problems they'll be able to deal with fairly easily.

I haven't heard a Jupiter horn line that actually sounds great yet. Phantom 09 was probably the best sounding Jupiter line I've heard. And it still wasn't comparable to their lines on King or others on Yamaha.

I'm sure they play fine. Still not satisfied with their sound.

• Like 1

Marched Mapex last year. Everything broke and our Stars veteran snare tech could not figure out how to make them sound better. Otherwise don't have any experience to comment.

Everything broke? I find that hard to believe, can you expound on that comment?

• Like 2

Sooo.. Teal Sound, Academy, Blue Stars, Boston Crusaders, Phantom, will all sound more or less the same in the lot?

:rock:

Edit: Well, ok, Bari/Wuph balance notwithstanding.

Edited by Barifonium