Physical or mental ailments

*shakes head* Dan, Dan, Dan. Here we go, folks!

Don't think my wife would think this is insulting. She never marched but uses a walker to get around and "submits" (hates it) to being pushed around in a wheelchair at DCA because of the distances involved.

Hmm, Allie D of Court of Honor tymp player from about 10 years back. Also a DCPer but hasn't posted for quite a while.

Insulting topic.

Could have definitely been set up better, for sure.

People sometimes get themselves in a craw when we talk about soloists... I can't imagine being someone with a mental or physical disability getting called out like this.

Edited by WPendergrass
  • Like 1

Could have definitely been set up better, for sure.

People sometimes get themselves in a craw when we talk about soloists... I can't imagine being someone with a mental or physical disability getting called out like this.

Perhaps it might be better if the OP asked the mods to delete "mental" from the title and change "ailments" to "challenges."

Having an only sibling with both mental and physical challenges, I've spent enough time around people with both that talking about this doesn't offend me, as it opens up the wonderful things these people can do and can teach us. At the day training center of the organization that runs his group home, there is a poster, the first line which reads, "See the disabilities." In the second line, "dis" is a little fainter, and in the third line, it's fainter still. In the fourth line, "dis" is completely gone and the sentence reads, "See the abilities."

Perhaps it might be better if the OP asked the mods to delete "mental" from the title and change "ailments" to "challenges."

Having an only sibling with both mental and physical challenges, I've spent enough time around people with both that talking about this doesn't offend me, as it opens up the wonderful things these people can do and can teach us. At the day training center of the organization that runs his group home, there is a poster, the first line which reads, "See the disabilities." In the second line, "dis" is a little fainter, and in the third line, it's fainter still. In the fourth line, "dis" is completely gone and the sentence reads, "See the abilities."

Yes, an "inspirational marching members, overcoming adversity" type thread... probably would have set up the responses better. Mr. Boo making great points, as usual. :satisfied:

I feel like the current trend of the thread will turn into more of a "where's waldo" of finding said persons with disabilities in shows, than more a recollection of their incredible feats overcoming adversity many of us never encounter.

---edited--- made the mistake of typing my post while eating Italian food... ended up messing up quite a few things. Thanks, Boo for the PM! Crash and burn this evening. Probably shouldn't post for a day or two to get it out of my system. :doh:

Edited by WPendergrass

I marched with a guy that has Tourette's and is allergic to the sun. He had a few tics every so often and wore shirts as neck coverings and was covered head to toe, save for his face.

Insulting topic.

Take these and call us in the morning. :tongue:

aspirin_1514938c.jpg

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 1