Pioneer-How have they managed to survive

I've heard of DCI kids coming from almost everywhere but South Africa tops the charts. How do they find these kids?

I've heard of DCI kids coming from almost everywhere but South Africa tops the charts. How do they find these kids?

There were some things happening before 2007, but after that year's World Championships, Blue Devils Executive Director David Gibbs and Glassmen Executive Director Brian Hickman went to South Africa for the Field Band Foundation national championship. After that, (though I don't know how much of this was due to that trip), Pioneer got into touch with people from the association and ended up with a good number of kids from South Africa.

Would someone from Pioneer please fill in the blanks?

• Like 1

Roman goes to the field band championships every year and gets some kids to fill out some smaller sectons. Also every year that I marched (04-08) we had around 5 south africans in the corps.

There were some things happening before 2007, but after that year's World Championships, Blue Devils Executive Director David Gibbs and Glassmen Executive Director Brian Hickman went to South Africa for the Field Band Foundation national championship. After that, (though I don't know how much of this was due to that trip), Pioneer got into touch with people from the association and ended up with a good number of kids from South Africa.

Would someone from Pioneer please fill in the blanks?

Pioneer has consistently offered marching opportunities to students from the South African Field Band Foundation since at least 2001, typically bringing 3-5 members over to the states each year. I'm not certain if 2001 was the first year or not, but Pioneer has had members from South Africa as early as that year, and every year since. Not surprising, because of the South African school schedule, the members typically arrive in Milwaukee in early May, and stay at the Blenski home until "everyday" rehearsals begin around Memorial Day. I, along with Dr. Cecil Austin (currently a DCA Judge) have had the almost annual privilege of spending a couple of days with the students shortly after they arrive, showing them around Milwaukee and giving them some African American history.

I believe it all began with Al Murray's connection to the Field Band Foundation (Murray was on Pio staff in 2001), and it lead to what is now at least a decade long relationship between Pioneer and the SAFBF. The organization's Executive Director (Retha Cillers) visited with Pioneer at a winter camp in 2004 (or 2005?), and over the years Roman has had a few opportunities to visit and judge at the SAFBF National Championships when he can.

On the surface, it may appear that drum corps' (DCI's) connection to South Africa was a result of the BD/Glassmen story, but Pioneer has been nurturing their relationship with the South Africans consistently for at least six years prior to the 2007 World Championships. I wouldn't be surprised if Roman played a role in Mr. Gibbs and Mr. Hickman's involvement, though I don't know that for sure.

Anyway, it's an amazing story that (like Pioneer itself) keeps going on, and on, and on... :thumbup:

• Like 4

they spend within their means, even less than their means.

Same for the Mandarins. Over the past few years, they've shortened tour by a week and switched to a cheaper bus company in order control rising tour costs. (These are things I see having zero knowledge of the financial details.)

And it's worth remembering that every year, the corps takes in anyone, even if have no experience playing an instrument or twirling, and gives them a World Class tour experience. Plus, they reach out to kids in other countries who want to get some experience with American drum corps and then take their experience back to their own country and hopefully help stimulate the country there. (A few years ago, they had members from South Korea and other countries and more recently, numerous kids from South Africa.)

Again, yep and yep. While not as extensive as Pioneer, the Mandarins have had a very strong Japan pipeline for the past few years - at least three people from Japan each season arrive speaking little to zero English, and the corps gets them up to speed and brings them in as family. As I type this, remembering a beloved Japanese rook-out in 2009 worked 3 jobs, including dangerous overnight shifts at convenience stores, to get money to come on tour.

I'm extremely happy that corps like Mandarins and Pioneer still exist and thrive. People complain a lot about how "DCI's lost its neighborhood aspects" and "all the corps are dying", and here are two corps focused on financial and extending the DCI opportunity to people who wouldn't have a chance at the Top 6/Top 12 corps just yet. Underappreciated, but just as important as the Top _ in an apples-to-oranges manner.

(edited for better wording)

Edited by rootofthechord

Patriots had a lot of money from what I remember. I do not know why they disbanded though...don't think it was financial. Someone else know?

blenski.jpg

Dear fate, he had the hat way back then!

Imagine if just one year, some big name staff members got together, and just said, screw it, im going to Pio. Or what if the corps one year just went all in and put all their money on the table and hired some big names.

I think it all boils down to a philosophy. That organization, and everyone involved, understands WHY they exist. A lot of corps focus on what they will do, or how they will do it, but never even ask themselves why they exist. From my experience with the organization, they think about why before the what or the how. They tailor everything they do, and how they will do it to fit their purpose, not the other way around. That's why they remain successful (success is defined by the objective of the individuals involved, not the outsiders).

• Like 2