Pioneer-How have they managed to survive

I really wish people would stop equating winning with success. I understand Drum Corps is a competitive activity but we need to expand on the win at all cost. Its reallt whats killing the activity. Every corps needs to buy uniforms every couple of years. New equipment is getting out of control.

If I had kids that wanted to march I would look for a corps that treated thier kids right, was fair and had fun. Pioneer is to me what drum corps should be...giving kids a chance.

• Like 1

I really wish people would stop equating winning with success. I understand Drum Corps is a competitive activity but we need to expand on the win at all cost. Its reallt whats killing the activity. Every corps needs to buy uniforms every couple of years. New equipment is getting out of control.

If I had kids that wanted to march I would look for a corps that treated thier kids right, was fair and had fun. Pioneer is to me what drum corps should be...giving kids a chance.

I dont' think there's necessarily anything wrong with the variety of priorities the corps involved with DCI have. Prospective members have a wide variety of reasons to march, so having corps that fall all over the map in that regard is a good thing in my opinion. A lot goes into choosing a corps, and that's what I try to share with my students. When a student wants to march and asks where to go, one of the first things I ask them is what they want to get out of the experience. From there, we can have a real conversation.

I agree that I would want to send a student to a corps that will treat them well, be fair etc, but the fact is, that's most of the organizations around. Yeah, you hear horror stories from time to time, but you could dig up a horror story about any of the corps on the planet (except maybe Pioneer). The fact is, people are much more vocal about negative experiences than they are about positive ones.

Again, I think success is defined by those involved, not the outsiders. If the corps and its members share the same priorities, that corps will be successful in their own eyes, and that's all that really matters. The fact that Pioneer understands that is why they have survived for so long in harsh economic times.

I dont' think there's necessarily anything wrong with the variety of priorities the corps involved with DCI have. Prospective members have a wide variety of reasons to march, so having corps that fall all over the map in that regard is a good thing in my opinion. A lot goes into choosing a corps, and that's what I try to share with my students. When a student wants to march and asks where to go, one of the first things I ask them is what they want to get out of the experience. From there, we can have a real conversation.

I agree that I would want to send a student to a corps that will treat them well, be fair etc, but the fact is, that's most of the organizations around. Yeah, you hear horror stories from time to time, but you could dig up a horror story about any of the corps on the planet (except maybe Pioneer). The fact is, people are much more vocal about negative experiences than they are about positive ones.

Again, I think success is defined by those involved, not the outsiders. If the corps and its members share the same priorities, that corps will be successful in their own eyes, and that's all that really matters. The fact that Pioneer understands that is why they have survived for so long in harsh economic times.

Not true.

• Like 4

Not true.

I see that someone hit you on this response, but you're right about that, and the previous poster was also correct that every corps has its horror stories. It's just true.

I love Pioneer and I always will, but it's not always what people perceive it to be. As with every corps, the horror stories typically have little to do with the organization itself, but instead it's the individuals that do the great (and/or sometimes horrific) things within the organization, and Pioneer has had its share of both. No organization or individual is perfect, and organizations are made up of individual people. In that sense, organizations are "organic," made up of people filled with all the typical stuff (good and bad) that people bring to it, so...

Anyway, what I think is worth noting is that as an organization, Pioneer has routinely demonstrated the ability to minimize and/or recover (mostly intact) from the occasional damage caused by individuals. THE big reason for that is that it maintains itself as a values-based organization, "walking the talk" so to speak, and that stems directly from its leadership. :satisfied:

• Like 1

There were some things happening before 2007, but after that year's World Championships, Blue Devils Executive Director David Gibbs and Glassmen Executive Director Brian Hickman went to South Africa for the Field Band Foundation national championship. After that, (though I don't know how much of this was due to that trip), Pioneer got into touch with people from the association and ended up with a good number of kids from South Africa.

Would someone from Pioneer please fill in the blanks?

Pioneer began its relationship with the field Band Foundation and its Director, Retha Cilliers in 2001. Since that year they have sent the corps some of its finest members. The brass players from South Africa are trained by music major students from the University of Norway. Several of the students who came to Pioneer were given a scholarship to attend the University of Norway after their stint with Pioneer. Several former South African Pioneer members are now teachers for the SA Field Bands. Our very first member from South Africa, now teaches brass technique and music theory. It is a true pleasure to watch these young people with their love for music, develop into fine young musicians as well as very decent and respectable young men and women.

Edited by brassensemble

Pioneer began its relationship with the field Band Foundation and its Director, Retha Cilliers in 2001. Since that year they have sent the corps some of its finest members. The brass players from South Africa are trained by music major students from the University of Norway. Several of the students who came to Pioneer were given a scholarship to attend the University of Norway after their stint with Pioneer. Several former South African Pioneer members are now teachers for the SA Field Bands. Our very first member from South Africa, now teaches brass technique and music theory. It is a true pleasure to watch these young people with their love for music, develop into fine young musicians as well as very decent and respectable young men and women.

Yes; the big hits, flashy productions and high scores are great for us fans, but THIS (above) is really what it is all about. /cheer Pioneer!

• 1 month later...

There were some things happening before 2007, but after that year's World Championships, Blue Devils Executive Director David Gibbs and Glassmen Executive Director Brian Hickman went to South Africa for the Field Band Foundation national championship. After that, (though I don't know how much of this was due to that trip), Pioneer got into touch with people from the association and ended up with a good number of kids from South Africa.

Would someone from Pioneer please fill in the blanks?

Pioneer was in South-Africa way before any DCI corps. Trust me, I have been there many years with Roman and even the year Dave and Brian where there. I guess the South-Africa story is not so much different. I mean, Pioneer is a welcoming organization. It has always been. This year it is 17 years ago I flew from The Netherlands to Milwaukee for my first season. The years have passed....I aged out as did many. The family is still there. Pioneer is about people and never forgets about their people. It does not matter where in the world they live, what value they were, are of can become for Pioneer....Pioneer is about lives, touching those and enrichment of those lives. I really cannot think of another reason. Plain honestly might be the word.....

Whatever Pioneer is doing, I'm glad it's still working.

My son Gaelen wasn't able to audition for any corps in the winter because of school (we live an hour north of nowhere, transportaion means a whole day lost going, and another coming back). In May he found out there was room in Pioneer. This is his age out year. In a matter of days he was on his way to camp Memorial Day weekend, got a spot in the bari line (he's a snare drummer, line was full). Far cry from the response he got from an east coast corps that didn't even answer his emails, nor mine.

He went back a week later and is having the time of his life. Some of you may recall Gaelen's interview at Nats a couple years ago with Dan Potter. Gaelen was with Blue Saints at the time, and was touring with his guide dog (Gaelen's deaf).

Anyway, I'm glad he's there. I've met Roman a few times over the years and trusted Gaelens' experience would be good.

Regards,

John

• Like 4

Whatever Pioneer is doing, I'm glad it's still working.

My son Gaelen wasn't able to audition for any corps in the winter because of school (we live an hour north of nowhere, transportaion means a whole day lost going, and another coming back). In May he found out there was room in Pioneer. This is his age out year. In a matter of days he was on his way to camp Memorial Day weekend, got a spot in the bari line (he's a snare drummer, line was full). Far cry from the response he got from an east coast corps that didn't even answer his emails, nor mine.

He went back a week later and is having the time of his life. Some of you may recall Gaelen's interview at Nats a couple years ago with Dan Potter. Gaelen was with Blue Saints at the time, and was touring with his guide dog (Gaelen's deaf).

Anyway, I'm glad he's there. I've met Roman a few times over the years and trusted Gaelens' experience would be good.

Regards,

John

John, that is great! I love hearing stories like this. I think I remember that interview with Potter. Good luck to Gaelen and Pioneer!

Not to be rude or critical or anything here, but I'm sure everyone is wondering, how in the world can one be in a drum corps while being deaf? I am very intrigued, and hope you elaborate on this.

As far as Pioneer, I think they are also a private Christian organization, and have heard that every Sunday they attend mass. This corps has other things that are important to them, even within its' members, than trying to chase numbers.

They stick to the "Better every day" motto, like corps should, and not worry about their subjective scores.

Put on a show for the crowd to enjoy, and perform for the enjoyment of performing, that is what it's all about.

And what is even more impressive is that they do take members that are in some cases totally inexperienced, or deaf, or from multiple nations, and they provide that experience.

If I had won the lottery, I'd buy Pioneer some new buses. I've seen them, so have many others, they are a little "old school". :-P