Where were you?

The question of closers brought back memories of the late great Jim Ott, I was working with the San Jose Raiders driving the equipment truck when we heard about the accident. I think there was a show in San Francisco or somewhere in the Bay area and I think it was at the end of one of the shows real soon after words the horn lines from BD, SCV and Freelancers got together and played his arrangement of the Navy hymn I think it was. The memory of some of the things that happenend that night are a little vague today after all of the years but I remember the feeling at the show and the spirit of reverance for a man that gave so much to the activity. Anyone other thoughts?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I marched with Spirit that summer, so I remember it quite vividly. We had been in New Orleans the day before and had a night off on Bourbon Street. I remember seeing Jim and Lloyd Pescola several times that night and remember how much he was laughing and enjoying himself. The next morning, after we woke up, we were called into the gym for a meeting and were told about the accident. One of the worst moments of my entire life.

Jim Ott was a friend of mine. He was my horn instructor in the Stockton Commodores the year I aged out in 1976, and he was the reason Spirit of Atlanta hired me to teach marching back in the fall of 1977. I was not on staff in 1980 (having left after the 1979 season) but I was nevertheless one of the first people contacted after his tragic accident due to the fact that his wife, Magi, also a dear friend, had not yet been notified, a task that ultimately wound up on my shoulders.

I was a bit reluctant to post a reply to this topic but I am really moved by the fact that after all these years there are still people who are reaching out, trying to get whatever shred of information they can about a man that most never knew personally, yet many know only through his music. It is as if Jim Ott lives on, not only through his arrangements, but also through the emotional performances left behind by the people who were touched by his genius. His hornlines, playing his charts, the way only he could get them to play them, are, and will always be his legacy to the youth activity that we call drum corps.

I was marching timpani with the Geneseo Knights in 1980. I had only seen Spirit once, in '79, but loved the corps. Anyway, we were at the Dolton, IL, show, I think, and the announcer said that Spirit had arrived and was going to play an exhibition after retreat and that all corps members were invited to sit in the front stands for the show. This was, I think, about one week after the loss of Jim Ott. I've never seen or heard a more emotional show played by anyone--there wasn't a dry eye in the stadium. I thought about how close we were to our instructors, and what those kids must have been going through. It was a terrible loss, but we can all celebrate Jim Ott's contributions to drum corps.

Bob Blomberg

Knights, '79-83

but we can all celebrate Jim Ott's contributions to drum corps.

20+ years later and truer words were never spoken.

I was marching with the Imperials that season and the Dalton show was our home show. Spirit was given the option to perform and they decided it would be good therapy to do so. It was one of my most memorable drum corps moments. The emotion coming through Spirit's performance was the greatest tribute Jim Ott could have received. Truly touching.

Smoothy

I remember DCI night finals... the seats in the back field were flipped so that they spelt out JIM OTT> THat wa very touching... I still have a picture of it.

I was Sitting On Darrin Bobrosky's porch and we were both playing our sticks on the Porch. His mom came out and told us that Jim had died.

We Both looked at each other for at least 30 Seconds.

I just left and went home to tell my Mom..She Cried more than when Kennedy Got shot.

Darrin and I never Spoke of it again.

What happend to Bonnie? Is she still around?

Jim Ott. Enough said. He was bigger than life for me. God bless him and his. I have one GREAT memory of him and I shall keep it. He allowed me to hear the Corps from the front line. Just WOW!!!!!!! I got the point that day.