Pacific Crest and Mandarins

I know maybe they aren't on the same level as Blue Devils and Santa Clara Vanguard, but we should still be hearing more about these fantastic corps. I have loved both of these corps for many years. Mandarins before Pacific Crest, as I can remember some great shows from Mandarins way back in the 90s where they were only marching probably 40-60 kids, and still put on some incredible shows. Pacific Crest I first remember them from when they first made the Mid Seasons Selection CD in the late 90s.

These 2 corps seem to really get forgotten, and sometimes I am really confused as to why. There are only 23 World Class corps. And I haven't seen a show from either one of these corps that I haven't enjoyed.

I remember a few years ago, Pacific Crest went to the midwest in June, and performed at the Bloomington Normal show. They were incredible for early season. I was really surprised that they didn't beat the Colts at that show. At that point, I really thought they might end up being a top 12 corps at some point in the future. And while that hasn't happened yet, I thoroughly enjoy their shows year after year.

Mandarins, I know they tend to be one of the smallest corps in terms of members each year in World Class, but this corps is extremely good for their size. Definitely one of the most interesting corps in terms of corps history, and they tend to bring an original look and feel to the drum corps world.

I know people in California complain about not getting late season shows there, and I understand completely. But when I look at some of the lineups in June and early July some years at some of their shows, I think they are seeing some amazing shows early season. When you look at the lineup of BD, SCV, Pacific Crest, Mandarins, BDB SCVC, Impulse, VK, and sometimes add in someone like Blue Knights or Academy, I have to say that is an amazing lineup. These are times when I really appreciate thefannetwork.org. I can go see shows in the Midwest, and then watch the West coast shows online.

So can anyone give us updates on Pacific Crest or Mandarins this year? I can't wait to see these corps at the end of the season, and am looking forward to my first viewing of them on thefannetwork.org. I really hope these 2 corps start seeing some of the appreciation that they deserve.

• Like 1

I think many corps could benefit greatly from a public relations campaign. It could be as easy and posting camp videos on youtube, posting info on DCP, or having a dynamic web presence. I look at DCP almost daily, and I can't recall seeing anything by the Mandarins, and only a store add for Pac Crest.

Also, I think some corps even have an isolationist mentality and actually prohibit staff and members from being active on the web concerning corps issues. I don't know it that is an issue with the two corps in the OP.

I am interested in what every corps is up to, but I don't have the time to track down info. If it doesn't make it to DCP or DCI I really won't see it.

• Like 1

I think many corps could benefit greatly from a public relations campaign. It could be as easy and posting camp videos on youtube, posting info on DCP, or having a dynamic web presence. I look at DCP almost daily, and I can't recall seeing anything by the Mandarins, and only a store add for Pac Crest.

Also, I think some corps even have an isolationist mentality and actually prohibit staff and members from being active on the web concerning corps issues. I don't know it that is an issue with the two corps in the OP.

I am interested in what every corps is up to, but I don't have the time to track down info. If it doesn't make it to DCP or DCI I really won't see it.

Lee Rudnicki (Drumlaw80) from SF Renegades used to do a pretty good job for them.

I suspect he is available (for a fee).

I'm not a rep for PC in any way, but there are camp update videos that are released after each camp. As far as the show goes they are trying to not reveal anything until the season. With all the new talent that came into the corps, this could be the year that they make top 12.

I'm not a rep for PC in any way, but there are camp update videos that are released after each camp. As far as the show goes they are trying to not reveal anything until the season. With all the new talent that came into the corps, this could be the year that they make top 12.

Great to hear. It would be great to see some new corps challenging the top 12. Are the videos public, and are they on their website, or youtube?

Great to hear. It would be great to see some new corps challenging the top 12. Are the videos public, and are they on their website, or youtube?

sorry for the double post, somehow it sent twice.

Edited by MisterA

In these two cases, I don't think they are isolationist at all. I think they are modest and prefer to wait and let their product on the field speak for itself. (i.e.: Speak softly and carry a big drum stick.)

• Like 1

If there was more presence, people here would complain that the corps was over-hyped and should have waited for their show to speak for them. Unless they're a perennial top-12 corps. Then it's being transparent and fan-friendly.

Tell me it isn't true.

• Like 4

If there was more presence, people here would complain that the corps was over-hyped and should have waited for their show to speak for them. Unless they're a perennial top-12 corps. Then it's being transparent and fan-friendly.

Tell me it isn't true.

I agree with you, except some people treat ANY news from corps as hype.... That's including the perennial top 12 corps.

It sort of takes the fun out of the winter but it's the cool thing to do on DCP these days...

• Like 1