Drum Corps "Why didn'ts...."

1. Why didn't the Blue Stars place higher?

* if I remember correctly, with the exception of color guard, Blue Stars were consistent 7th or 8th

* SCV had superior vis (especially effect, I think), and possible a better brass line & vis performance than Blue Stars. Blue Stars were no where near Top 6 in 2010, though if I remember right they did have a real good percussion section & guard. No shame in 8th in a year where all of the Top 10 were pretty stellar/talented.

2. Why didn't Bluecoats place higher?

* if I remember correctly they had some vis problems

* Cavaliers & Blue Devils were superior to Bluecoats in music & vis in pretty much every caption. That's not to say that Bluecoats were 'bad' at all, just that Cavaliers and Blue Devils were significantly better.

I've judged in the band word....there's no conpsiracy. there is a however a huge lack of objectivity in people looking at their own stuff or favorite teams stuff

Agree. I also judge in the band and winter percussion world, and I can attest that there is no conspiracy. In fact, if you look at WGI Percussion Finals the recaps are all over the place due to judges' different ideas of what was better. Nothing really wrong with that, per say: judging is mostly opinion (though obviously dirty is dirty).

TOTALLY agree that lack of objectivity and bias of favorite teams is rampant, but that's why they're called fan(atic)s. :tongue:

Why didn't DCI do whatever was necessary to preserve and or produce "CHAMPIONSHIP" footage from 1981. In what way is it acceptable for an organization to not find a way to secure it's history. :thumbdown:

* if I remember correctly, with the exception of color guard, Blue Stars were consistent 7th or 8th

* SCV had superior vis (especially effect, I think), and possible a better brass line & vis performance than Blue Stars. Blue Stars were no where near Top 6 in 2010, though if I remember right they did have a real good percussion section & guard. No shame in 8th in a year where all of the Top 10 were pretty stellar/talented.

Hearing all of this discussion with the 2010 season, I went and found a site that has recaps from all of the shows (since DCI.org apparently does not...)

http://www.fromthepressbox.com/2010season.htm

It looks like the Blue Stars were beating SCV in brass the majority of the season, in fact, they were 6th in brass at quarterfinals and semi-finals, but then dropped to 8th on finals night.

I don't feel like looking at everything else with visual and whatnot, but just decided to see if I could find any information on brass since it came up a couple times.

Cadets, minus the snare feature, peaked at the right time

I know it doesn't "count." But that sh** was crispy semifinals night.

I don't know if the Garfield marchers are trying to make you guys simply feel better about finishing behind Garfield or not in 1984, but that '84 Cadets show performance was selected by fans nationwide as one of the top 5 favorite shows ever in a DCI national poll. '84 Garfield's Finals performance was magnificent, and its on fan network. The Visual and Guard alone was spectacular, and the closing drill sequence ( and its execution ) is one for the ages. The '84 Cadets were deserving champions with the vast numbers in attendance that night in Atlanta. Nothing against coming in 2nd however as BD was a deserving runners up in both the Prelims and in the Finals to the Garfield Cadets that year, imo. '84 Garfield was one of those rare shows that was considered the best with both the fans in the Prelims and Finals AND with both the separate judging panels at Prelims and Finals..... as well as with fans nationwide that saw it live on TV and later with those who viewed it on tape.

Just catching up in this thread, Brasso, but this is an excellent post, and thanks for the facts. I couldn't agree more.

Like '83, Gahfield '84 is a classic for the ages. You said it perfectly.

BD had their day to come, but Garfield owned the field for the three-pete and several years there-after. Nobody else got close.

Great post.

WHY DIDN'T...

I march more years of drum corps?

Worst mistake of my life.

Right there with you, my friend. I did two years in corps, then learned to fly in the summers. Flying was my dream, for which I sacrificed drum corps. Then I got to college/flight school and my eyes changed to 20/40. Boom. Out. Can't fly left seat with glasses. And I'm too old, and too out of shape to go back and march.

Priorities can be a pain the arse sometimes.

At least you had a year or more left, Dave. 84 was my rook-out year....so I'd have to ask "WHY didn't I discover drum corps until it was almost too late?"

That's the point - I knew about it and I walked away from it for a different dream. You didn't know how great it was. I did, and I walked away.

I'm a knucklhead.