The Loudest Hornline of 2011?

Multiple answers are allowed :)  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Which hornlines do you think were the loudest in 2011? (multiple answers allowed)

I say Crown not just because of the amount of sound but also the superb blend and intonation which both increases the volume and increases the perception of volume (because it is so pleasant to listen to).

• Like 1

Uh, how do you come to the that conclusion from the numbers in the above post? :blink: Pioneer's peak according to the above was "106"...and that is higher than Carolina Crown's 120 and Madison's 119 how? :blink:

I do realize you were being sarcastic but within your sarcasm is the implication that the above poster listed numbers that indicated "Pioneer was the loudest"? Sorry, I don't get how you could have read CrownBariDad's post that way. Please explain. :lookaround:

I thought people would realize just from my screen name that I sometimes get things backwards. I was wrong.

Speaking seriously now, does anyone think that at prelims in Indiana, the Jersey Surf hornline was 10 decibels louder than the hornline of the Blue Knights? The closer you look at those numbers, the less sense they make. Besides, if we are really measuring peak sound levels, percussion must have more impact on the results than brass.

I thought people would realize just from my screen name that I sometimes get things backwards. I was wrong.

Speaking seriously now, does anyone think that at prelims in Indiana, the Jersey Surf hornline was 10 decibels louder than the hornline of the Blue Knights?

No, as I and other have already stated, the decibel meter is not just picking up brass sounds. It is...as you say next....

The closer you look at those numbers, the less sense they make. Besides, if we are really measuring peak sound levels, percussion must have more impact on the results than brass.

DING DING DING DING DING!!!! Only not just percussion, ELECTRONICS! AlSO....there is one other variable nobody has yet to mention....

...numbers of people in the audience. The more people in the stands, the more sound is absorbed. The LESS people in the stands, the more sound resonates. Hmmmmm...in the case of your question with Jersey Surf?

Conclusion: A DB meter has too many variables to be completely accurate. Yet, I have no doubt that CrownBariDad's readings are accurate. Surf probably got that reading from higher volumes of electronics and less people in the stands (I'm sorry to say that last part).

Speaking seriously now, does anyone think that at prelims in Indiana, the Jersey Surf hornline was 10 decibels louder than the hornline of the Blue Knights? The closer you look at those numbers, the less sense they make. Besides, if we are really measuring peak sound levels, percussion must have more impact on the results than brass.

I tried to avoid using "impact hits" (especially when reinforced by the pit bass drum(s)) as the loudest value, but sometimes it was unavoidable.

The whole point of the exercise was to avoid perception as much as possible and present some real measurements. It would be nice (if we do this in the future) if those participating would pool their measurements (and seating locations) so we might get a better picture on all of this. However, as has been said before--there are TOO many variables to consider when trying to make volume comparisons between Corps. Even the stuff I posted, I generally view as "gee whiz" data--not much more.

Thanks!

I tried to avoid using "impact hits" (especially when reinforced by the pit bass drum(s)) as the loudest value, but sometimes it was unavoidable.

The whole point of the exercise was to avoid perception as much as possible and present some real measurements. It would be nice (if we do this in the future) if those participating would pool their measurements (and seating locations) so we might get a better picture on all of this. However, as has been said before--there are TOO many variables to consider when trying to make volume comparisons between Corps. Even the stuff I posted, I generally view as "gee whiz" data--not much more.

Thanks!

I'm game! We could also do a reading from the warm up arc, as well?

...numbers of people in the audience. The more people in the stands, the more sound is absorbed. The LESS people in the stands, the more sound resonates. Hmmmmm...in the case of your question with Jersey Surf?

Actually for Madison, the crowd reaction could not be factored out of the measurement, even using a directional mic.

And frankly, I wasn't paying too much attention to the meter during the end of their show.

If they had the same number of horns last year... who knows? For a person who marched with them last summer, I can say with certainty that they put out a hell of a lot of sound last year for only 45 or so horns. Imagine them with 60+ last year...

Actually for Madison, the crowd reaction could not be factored out of the measurement, even using a directional mic.

And frankly, I wasn't paying too much attention to the meter during the end of their show.

LOL! I hear ya LOUD and clear on that one. Obviously, I was referring more to the opposite extreme with Surf where conditions due to less absorbtion would create a more hollow condition...creating larger amounts of sound,

I have to agree with a comment made earlier. Madison seems loud, but a finger on a synth can create a massive amount of added volume. And yes they seemed to be forcing it a lot. That's not a bash seeing as I marched there, I'm just saying they don't have the talent to build the full sound like Phantom yet.

I'm just saying they don't have the talent to build the full sound like Phantom yet.

Hopefully that is changing. I felt 2011 was a step up, but they are still relatively

young and need time/experience to grow. I'm hoping the younger members stick around

and really mature with the Corps...they could be monsterous in the coming years!