Crossmen 2012 - Fragile

agreed...but.....it's more cool to do it just brass and percussion in Chuck's mind as well as creative...and many fans agree

That's fine. I don't care how something is done, as long as to me it is good. Can be brass/percussion, can be voice, WW, strings, synths, etc...for me 'good' is what matters.

That's fine. I don't care how something is done, as long as to me it is good. Can be brass/percussion, can be voice, WW, strings, synths, etc...for me 'good' is what matters.

Generally I agree, but in the case of drum corps, I think brass and percussion are the way to go. It's so rewarding when one can force one's self to produce a great product within the constraints of the DC idiom. Leave the other stuff for marching band.

• Like 6

Generally I agree, but in the case of drum corps, I think brass and percussion are the way to go. It's so rewarding when one can force one's self to produce a great product within the constraints of the DC idiom. Leave the other stuff for marching band.

I favor DCI having no restrictions on instrument choices their member corps want to make, hence my own POV.

I favor DCI having no restrictions on instrument choices their member corps want to make, hence my own POV.

I know. smile.gif

I'm with Ream on this one. 87 Cadets are a very good example of translating orchestral music to DC. Another example is 90 Star, and (late thought, sorry) SofA Petroushka. 86 SCV Festive Overture. I'm sure there are many others. I've done done side by side comparisons and these arrangements are very true to the Composer's arrangement. (Oops left out PR Shoshtakovitch 5th and their many other accurate arrangements.)

There are also programs that in side by side comparisons, IMO, were musical flops. Cadets Copland 3rd Symphony didn't come close, nor did 93 Star's Medea, just to name a few.

To switch subjects, I've been listening to Sitar music for many years. Obviously Ravi is the popular master and Coltrane named his son after him. DC will never be able to do this music because the dynamics of the instrument are so complex. You could break up the brass voices into 4 parts per voice and it still wouldn't cover what a master sitarist can play.

However there is a lot to be learned fom the drumming. I have a Shankar recording in which the drummer (Ali Akbar Khan? Memory is foggy on this) broke down the names and strokes. It is mind boggling. Do I recall that a couple of Corps tried some of this in their shows? Maybe Cavies, and I think Cadets where you break down your licks into Indian sounds and verbalize them?

I've said enough (No responses, please, I mean about this line, not about the rest)

Kevin

Edited by Kevin Doherty

The BD page is up to 8 pages already and they just announced today. Is it love or is it hatred? hmmmm

Edited by xbones7480

The BD page is up to 8 pages already and they just announced today. Is it love or is it hatred? hmmmm

I would say that it's both adoration and trepidation...

THIS thread is going much better though, right? thumbup.gif