2012 Blue Devils

I decided not to read any of the post in this topic. After last years show I thought BD was heading in a better direction. By looking at the show description and rep I'm picturing another bit's and Pieces show of follow the leader, tight rope walking, chairs, mirrors, poles, park and blow moments while playing difficult runs.

In a nut shell: another cut and paste production that will compete for the title.

"As a rule, man's a fool. When it's hot he wants it cool. When it's cool he wants it hot. Always wanting what it's not."

• Like 2

I'm calling waffles on that .... abstract art and avante guard jazz are not equivalent with dada. Both take themselves somewhat seriously. Dada explicitly did NOT.

Well, I'm calling syrup on that....time to get together! :tongue:

This conversation smacks of the very reason why dada, et al ever exists in the first place......people (and by extension..governments) not paying attention, dulled by expectations and assuming they understand...then grinding away with a bad decision that has a life its own, and gobbling its young. Sound current? Yup! We are due for some dada!!!!

The point I was making, my wise and normally crisp friend, was NOT a comparison of the mediums but that they rose from similar circumstances and were departures from whatever norm that got them there. All reactions to surreal environments (outrages loss from life-shattering wars, hero assasinations, dreadful depressions, etc). The only way to get through these horrendous conditions, that seemed to go on and on... was "shock and awe" artistically speaking. Polical? You #### right is was! And out of these conditions were born, some of the things I mentioned and in more recent times...the Beatles, the Summer of Love, the drug culture, woodstock, slam dancing, hip hop, ect. I'll get the butter.

, not

, not

, not

DaDa, not

Okay, I had to laugh! Thanks! tongue.gifthumbup.gif

• Like 1

The point I was making, my wise and normally crisp friend, was NOT a comparison of the mediums but that they rose from similar circumstances and were departures from whatever norm that got them there. All reactions to surreal environments (outrages loss from life-shattering wars, hero assasinations, dreadful depressions, etc). The only way to get through these horrendous conditions, that seemed to go on and on... was "shock and awe" artistically speaking. Polical? You #### right is was! And out of these conditions were born, some of the things I mentioned and in more recent times...the Beatles, the Summer of Love, the drug culture, woodstock, slam dancing, hip hop, ect. I'll get the butter.

meh. I think you're really reaching trying to save your point.

The whole argument you're making here is that art is often reactionary and a product of it's time. Nothing earthshaking there. But the parallel you made earlier pretty much still falls flat on it's face if only for a single reason -- dada wasn't "art". It was "un-art".

Anyway I'm curious to see the show.

and yes -- actual real butter please and some yummy grade b maple syrup !! none of that clear, flavorless crap for me.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 2

Okay, I had to laugh! Thanks! tongue.gifthumbup.gif

:-)

One random thought I had in pulling up the old DaDa films...

All of those films I first saw 20 years ago in university when taking an experimental film course. I spent loads of hours searching catalogs for, requesting, bringing to a viewing station, loading up tapes and film reels to watch a small number of films.

Now, with the internet, YouTube... all that info and anything else is available within seconds.

Could it simply be that drum corps is not necessarily becoming more esoteric, but that, due to technological innovation, creators have a much broader range and volume of influences than ever before?

This could open up an entirely different discussion... but it seems that the greatest influence on design has actually been technological innovations. It is not so much that the capabilities of creative talents are so quickly, but that technological tools are advancing at a rate allow different influences (as mentioned above) and the ability to do things that would have been much more complicated years before.

Notation software, drill design software, photoshop, illustrator, digital printing, instant video, etc. are what is driving the pace of creativity. How much has video influenced both creativity and technique? Now a kid on the other side of the planet can pull out their phone and capture a video of themselves drumming, playing, spinning, moving... upload it and get feedback from a number of others.

A bit of a tangent, but... sort of comes full circle, and is related to DaDa in the sense that the movement was a period where new technologies like film were really being explored as a creative medium... and explored simply for technological capabilities (capturing light, movement, sound, etc.) that can drive new forms of expression in the medium (while film had been around for a bit.. was the first time it was really used for non-narrative expression... and exploited simply for technological capabilities of these creative tools).

:-)

One random thought I had in pulling up the old DaDa films...

All of those films I first saw 20 years ago in university when taking an experimental film course. I spent loads of hours searching catalogs for, requesting, bringing to a viewing station, loading up tapes and film reels to watch a small number of films.

Now, with the internet, YouTube... all that info and anything else is available within seconds.

Could it simply be that drum corps is not necessarily becoming more esoteric, but that, due to technological innovation, creators have a much broader range and volume of influences than ever before?

This could open up an entirely different discussion... but it seems that the greatest influence on design has actually been technological innovations. It is not so much that the capabilities of creative talents are so quickly, but that technological tools are advancing at a rate allow different influences (as mentioned above) and the ability to do things that would have been much more complicated years before.

Notation software, drill design software, photoshop, illustrator, digital printing, instant video, etc. are what is driving the pace of creativity. How much has video influenced both creativity and technique? Now a kid on the other side of the planet can pull out their phone and capture a video of themselves drumming, playing, spinning, moving... upload it and get feedback from a number of others.

A bit of a tangent, but... sort of comes full circle, and is related to DaDa in the sense that the movement was a period where new technologies like film were really being explored as a creative medium... and explored simply for technological capabilities (capturing light, movement, sound, etc.) that can drive new forms of expression in the medium (while film had been around for a bit.. was the first time it was really used for non-narrative expression... and exploited simply for technological capabilities of these creative tools).

Good points! I agree that technology has enabled us to more easily be exposed to more information in a shorter amount of time than ever before. It makes us more connected and also creates some other problems of its own. Yes, creators have access to a greater breadth of influences than ever before. Students can also get feedback more quickly. At the same time, the designers do not necessarily always hit upon depth in composition and effect that they could before because they have too many things going on at the same time. ..and the feedback that a student receives may not always be helpful or constructive. After all, the reviewers are going to be engaged with all the other people who also want a piece of their time. Technology is a double edged sword!

For me it's always about the how, not the what. The designers have all of these tools available to them to help them create a better "product". They must not only be proficient in their craft, they must also become proficient with these tools and not become overloaded with too much information. This is not always possible and the result is that the depth is not always attained.