Blue Knights to use Jupiter Brass

Alright, haters. I just got back from playing on these horns all weekend. First of all, you really can't make a judgement about Jupiter Quantum Marching Brass from year to year because they change and evolve every year. The ones that BK is marching now are leagues above the less than desirable ones that PR marched in '09. Second, these horns freaking rock. The newest models are definitely a MAJOR upgrade from what we were on before. Jupiter has the best customer service and is totally interested in helping make their horns better with us. It's an excellent business partnership for BK. And I think BK's still on Pearl drums for a bit - Hardimon likes Pearl. :cool:

AAAAAAUUUGH i'm soo sorry XDDD

i accidentally clicked the minus button on your post!! I meant to click the plus because it's cool that you can give us first hand reviews on the instruments, wow what a mindless mistake!

Anyways, you can add 2 points to your reputation because of me! :thumbup: sorry!

Edited by Ch1k3n
  • Like 1

I think this switch would be good if the jupiters are much improved from last gen. Last generation's euphs sounded sorta tinny, and that would NOT bode well for a group such as the blue knights.

Edited by Ch1k3n

I think this switch would be good if the jupiters are much improved from last gen. Last generation's euphs sounded sorta tinny, and that would NOT bode well for a group such as the blue knights.

Who sounded "tinny" with the last gen euphs? I can't think of any Jupiter corps that sounded "tinny" in the middle.

Lets just hope you don't become a victim of the Jupiter Effect.

What's the Jupiter effect? Boston went up in placement and was beating BK in brass all season (who was on King). Yes, PR and Stars did go down (some taking the record for biggest drop after a championship...) but those drops in placement were irrelevant to horn switching. It was all design based. PR fired their drill writer in the middle of the season and rewrote most of the show. Stars rewrote close to 100 pages of drill before the Minnesota regional. Jupiter horns have nothing to do with it. If anything, BK could move up because the quality of these instruments is LIGHTYEARS beyond the Kings they were on previously.

Buuuut, alas, haters 'gon hate. :tongue:

• Like 2

What's the Jupiter effect? Boston went up in placement and was beating BK in brass all season (who was on King). Yes, PR and Stars did go down (some taking the record for biggest drop after a championship...) but those drops in placement were irrelevant to horn switching. It was all design based. PR fired their drill writer in the middle of the season and rewrote most of the show. Stars rewrote close to 100 pages of drill before the Minnesota regional. Jupiter horns have nothing to do with it. If anything, BK could move up because the quality of these instruments is LIGHTYEARS beyond the Kings they were on previously.

Buuuut, alas, haters 'gon hate. :tongue:

Boston only went up as a result of Blue Stars going down.

Boston topped the Blue Stars across the board in every caption at Finals last year, ie Brass, GE, Visual, Percussion, Guard, etc. Its really not what horn Mfg. Blue Stars used last year. This is inconsequential to scores and placements.... for any of these Corps as a matter of fact. Its not the horn, drum, flag, rifle, saber, etc... its how its performed by the marcher- performer that matters most. Its not like any of these instrument Mfg.'s have a huge and decided advantage over other Mfg.'s that can make Corps leap over others by virtue of any perceived superiority of the make of the instument. If the Blue Stars move up in placement this year, it likewise won't have anything to do with who made the instruments that they'll use in performance this year. And thats true with ALL the Corps, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

I hope you're not serious. If so, how do you explain Boston beating other corps in brass (like SCV)?

Also, can someone explain to me how ANY corps switching to Jupiter is "selling out"? As I said on another thread, for any horn snobs out there, go ahead and write the check for $250,000+ to Blue Stars, Boston, Blue Knights, PR, and I'm sure they let you tell them which manufacturer to use.

• Like 2

I am very thankful for Kentw's assesment of the new horns. I am on the fence about the move. I think enough time has gone by that improvements likely would have been made to original models of Jupiter Horns. Always loved the low end sound on the King's but it would appear that Jupiter is truly trying to make a sizeable push to get more corps on board. Time will tell whether this is the right insruments for BK but I have a feeling you'll get the same great quality of sound we've been getting year in and out. This will be a strong hornline this summer for them so I am positive they'll play well on whatever horn is in their hands.

Wes P

BK '97 '98

• Like 2