Blue Knights to use Jupiter Brass

Firebird is a post-show exhibition tune. The show's called 'A Family Goes To Disneyland." It's the story of a family that used to road trip in a decent, but expensive car that barely fit them. Then, they get a far more affordable and comfortable family wagon with a new paint job and great gas mileage. Fun times had by all, running, loud notes, "CHAK, BU-BOOSH", horns down, drums do an 8 count smack-someone visual, and they score a 31.528π.

On topic, I really enjoy the sound of the instruments. I love that they're shiny, new, and something a kid in the hornline can be proud to take care of. That may not mean much to people, these days. I played a beat to hell and back Kanstul mello that I really hope is melted down into pawn shop jewelry. I'm happy for the horns. They deserve far better than drum corps budgets can allow, but this is a great year for them. They're motivated, humble, and willing to give any comers a demonstration of the Jupiter/BK quality.

Jason

Was a big fan of the kings, but then again I liked the G bugles back in the day as well. Hopefully the corps enjoys their new equipment. I had a two valve Dynesty Sop for the first 4 camps in '97 and then ended up playing on an old Mauraders horn. In '98 we got a new line of Kanstul Large Bore Sops and I remember loving the feeling of having that new horn. It sounded great and was fun to play as well, but I am happy that BK is always persuing avenues to improve the quality of equipment and the quality of drum corps each and every year!! Best of luck Jason, I'm assuming you're still working with them? Best of luck, God Bless

Wes P

I hear so much about how the Jupiter Quantum horns are terrible, but how many of you have actually played on them? I'm playing a Quantum tuba right now (first-gen, mind you) and I love it. It's definitely on the heavy side, but the tone quality is nearly perfect. As for the rest of the line, I assure your the high brass models are fine and not tinny at all. These horns are definitely worth a lot more than they cost and it's a very smart move for any corps to make the switch. Good for the Blue Knights.

• Like 1

Seriously kids... this is being done because it makes better financial sense. What else matters?

I remember the days when Blue Knights were playing on a collection (I mean collection... as in collected... as in hunting/gathering) of mismatched horns that were beat up, taped up, McGyvered.

What spoiled, out of touch, perspective lacking, My Pretty Pony lovin' folk would be complaining about a great corps getting a full set of brand spanking new, perfectly matched horns under conditions that are not only better than recent years, but better than the organization has ever had?

Edited by danielray
  • Like 1

Just curious, but out of the hornlines that have switched to Jupiter the past few seasons, were any of them not previously King hornlines?

Interesting how none of the Yamaha or even Dynasty brass lines are switching, and that Jupiter is gaining their market share at the expense of only one of their competitors.

Edited by ML23

Just curious, but out of the hornlines that have switched to Jupiter the past few seasons, were any of them not previously King hornlines?

Interesting how none of the Yamaha or even Dynasty brass lines are switching, and that Jupiter is gaining their market share at the expense of only one of their competitors.

Don't quote me on this, but I think The Academy was previously marching on Kanstul before switching. Everybody else was King I think.

Edited by DCIfan90

Don't quote me on this, but I think The Academy was previously marching on Kanstul before switching. Everybody else was King I think.

haha well no wonder they switched from kanstul! I mean they're good horns, but they don't offer any type of deals, right? the expenses must have been pretty high.

1336015140[/url]' post='3136909']

haha well no wonder they switched from kanstul! I mean they're good horns, but they don't offer any type of deals, right? the expenses must have been pretty high.

Kanstul doesn't offer deals like Yamaha, King, Jupiter or any companies out there, they provide quality horns. IMHO, if I could afford to, I would have all my instruments (trombones,tubas,bugles, and any other low brass instrument) made by Kanstul.

Yeah, for a standard 64 member hornline (12 contras, 8 euphs, 12 baris, 12 mellos, 20 trumpets) it would cost $232,080. That's quite a chunk of change and would probably cost even more since the new standard for hornlines has become 72 or 80 members.

1336018509[/url]' post='3136931']

Yeah, for a standard 64 member hornline (12 contras, 8 euphs, 12 baris, 12 mellos, 20 trumpets) it would cost $232,080. That's quite a chunk of change and would probably cost even more since the new standard for hornlines has become 72 or 80 members.

You should use this chart to price their horns more accurately http://www.kanstulmu...brass_inst.html

The prices on Kanstul's website show the MSRP, on Jack Kanstul's website, it shows the actual price they sell them for, and through Jack, you can get a better deal for schools/corps

Edited by Contra94

Kanstul doesn't offer deals like Yamaha, King, Jupiter or any companies out there, they provide quality horns. IMHO, if I could afford to, I would have all my instruments (trombones,tubas,bugles, and any other low brass instrument) made by Kanstul.

/thread