Marching Band Hazing at FAMU

This is the link for the FAMU at the marching band hazing incident convictions. Share some stories, marching bands or drumcorps.

http://www.ajc.com/news/dekalb/13-charged-in-famu-1429796.html

Never in my personal experience in senior drum corps. I would not be associated with an organization that was involved in this kind of despicable treatment of its members. Most drum corps work hard at creating an environment that will be attractive to new members.

If there was an "initiation" in any corps it was not at this level or even close as what happened at FAMU. I heard there was a group called the "Goon Platoon" with Oakland Crusaders but don't know anything other than, you didn't screw up or be late to rehearsals. Maybe someone with precise knowledge can say.

Way back in the mists of time there were hazings - but certainly not anything approaching this level.

In my own case, for example, I can recall my pants being thrown out the window of the bus on the way to my very first contest. Since "the bus" was really a Conestoga wagon, it wasn't all that difficult for me to jump off, pick them up, and run back aboard. (I added that last part before Haring does)

• Like 1

Never in my personal experience in senior drum corps. I would not be associated with an organization that was involved in this kind of despicable treatment of its members. Most drum corps work hard at creating an environment that will be attractive to new members.

Hey Roger, there is an old story/legend that you could possibly help put some truth to,..........back in the day, my dad used to tell a story about the Salamanca Black Knights being involved in run in with a judge and a chain link fence,.........fact or fiction?

Hey Roger, there is an old story/legend that you could possibly help put some truth to,..........back in the day, my dad used to tell a story about the Salamanca Black Knights being involved in run in with a judge and a chain link fence,.........fact or fiction?

Hey Gary. I can't help you with this one - I was never a Black Knight. I was an Interstate Ambassador. The Black Knights and Cornplanters merged to form the Interstate Cavaliers (1966) and the Interstate Cavaliers and the Olean Ambassadors merged to form the Interstate Ambassadors (1967). I can tell you that the summer of 1967 was an interesting time for a 17 year old guy loose with that corps during the Summer of Love. There were some colorful characters in that corps, including a number of Native Americans from Salamanca, and it was a LOT of fun! There was a bar we used to go to in Salamanca that had 15 cent drafts, and I never got ID'ed no matter where I went in NY.

Edited by Roger Ellis

At the Bushwackers the rule was no initiations of any type for new members. The word "rookie" was also banned, A new member of the corps was exactly that, A NEW member and was never to be called a "rookie".

Plain and simple,We were all Bushwackers.

Jay

Edited by HBD
  • Like 2

At the Bushwackers the rule was no initiations of any type for new members. The word "rookie" was also banned, A new member of the corps was exactly that, A NEW member and was never to be called a "rookie".

Plain and simple,We were all Bushwackers.

Jay

Sadly, Shenandoah Sound is different. On our first bus trip of the season, new members must individually sing "O Shenandoah" as best they can. While some members know all the words and have great singing voices, others struggle mightily and people in neighboring vehicles throw things at us! :tongue:

In all seriousness, we take great pride in making our corps family-friendly and very welcoming to all members. There is no tolerance for "hazing" or other abusive behavior.

At Westshore- the only thing I as a Rookie and the others were asked to do was to help clean up after the first Party at Corps Camp at Indiantown Gap. Not hazing. Teere are some stories, though about that clean-up and "Joe Soprano". Ask me when you see me and I'll tell them.

As a Proud Kappa Kappa Psi brother of over 25 years from Eta Rho, I have to ask why the Florida A&M Chapter never spoke out about the endemic hazing. Considering KKY has had a policy on the books against hazing in any form within its ranks for as long as I can remember-- All I know is this- If you don't speak out against hazing in any musical organization you belong to and you're supposedly a KKY Brother- you're sure as heck no brother of mine!

Ive seen the annual bus "fight" with a corps more than one year. It was a tradition brought on initially by a couple of fun loving teens just rough housing and playing around. Then it turned into folk lore for the corps and in years to come a free for all. The participation varied between by a lot of type A's in the corps that just had to show their arse and a lot of teens just wanting to have some fun. Fun at first but as testosterone and alcohol became more prevalent it started becoming out of hand. Corps put a stop to it after a few years before it became ugly.

Anything is a good thing in moderation. Obviously for FAMU this got out of hand and should not have been tolerated.

As far as hazing is concerned I have seen some mild stuff. Nothing to the magnitude of seeing someone get killed or even hurt. About the worst thing I have seen was someone having to pick up garbage or unload the bus if you freaking messed up bad enough. Maybe....Just maybe run a few laps for missing a spot or being late for rehearsal.

Then there is the whole rookie talent show. I won't even go into the trauma that it caused for a few rookies ::):):):):):)

Edited by camel lips