Marching Band Hazing at FAMU

Ha, does said name combine the cities St. Louis and Los Angeles in their english versions?

Nope-- a city in New Jersey

edit: I think there might be an NFL stadium there. (For a team whose name I won't mention. Ahem... << life long Cowboys fan)

Edited by year1buick

No hazing at Cap Sound or MCL when I was with those organizations.

edit: I think there might be an NFL stadium there. (For a team whose name I won't mention. Ahem... << life long Cowboys fan)

Ah.... when I think of your era... I think of St.Louis/Angeles and the warm greetings from finals '92. That man looks terrifying in his pictures.

Ah.... when I think of your era... I think of St.Louis/Angeles and the warm greetings from finals '92. That man looks terrifying in his pictures.

Ha, ha yeah, he could be a little intimidating at first, I suppose, before you got to know him. (I witnessed the "salute" in person, BTW.) But he was nothing compared to Dan Farrell in that regard! At the first November camp for the 92 season, the baritone section (we weren't known as the Buicks yet) sang the Imperial March as he walked into the rehearsal hall. The man certainly demanded respect. (He was still brass caption head at the time.)

Hazing in general these days is pretty rare unless your in militaristic fraternities (cough, cough) but i remember going through hazing as a 1st year in HS marching band years and years ago. I thought it sucked at the time, but looking back at it, it brought us much more together and were a good hs unit. What happened with FAMU i consider more to be criminal assault rather than hazing.

• Like 1

Hazing in general these days is pretty rare unless your in militaristic fraternities (cough, cough) but i remember going through hazing as a 1st year in HS marching band years and years ago. I thought it sucked at the time, but looking back at it, it brought us much more together and were a good hs unit. What happened with FAMU i consider more to be criminal assault rather than hazing.

There is no doubt this is a terrible tragedy. My heart goes out to the families of both the victim and participants involved in this incident whose lives are forever changed. There are no do-overs here. That being said....I just want to also point out that hazing is more previlent than I originally thought. I was actually very surprised by a study I just read from a 2008 survey of 11,482 students over 53 colleges. I will let that study speak for itself.

Data from this study support the conclusion that hazing is woven into the fabric of student life and campus culture in U.S. colleges and universities. More

than half (55%) of the students who become involved in campus student organizations, clubs, and teams are hazed in the process of becoming a member or maintaining membership in these groups, and nearly seven in 10 students (69%) say they are aware of hazing in organizations other than their own.

Over the years, images of hazing have been most closely associated with fraternities (and, more recently, varsity athletic teams). However, this investigation found hazing among undergraduate students is far more widespread. Students report experiencing hazing behaviors across a range of group-types including athletic teams and Greek-letter groups as well as club sports, intramurals, performing arts groups, service fraternities and sororities, recreation clubs, academic clubs, honor societies; and some students indicated they had experienced hazing in other kinds of groups as well including military groups, religious or church-based groups, student government, and culturally based student organizations.

For those who are interested, the entire study I've directly quoted from above is found here: Hazing in View: College Students at Risk

Buick,

Being a Jersey Boy, I know who you you are talking about. I had met him when he was a DM and had friendly relations with him when he was Tour Director. I never saw him act out, but he didn't last long in his professional positions. Of course being a cash contributer he knew enough not to antagonize the gift horses. I never heard any stories about him being tyrannical, but it seems like he had some problems along this line and it perhaps was let go for this reason.

Kevin

Ha, ha yeah, he could be a little intimidating at first, I suppose, before you got to know him. (I witnessed the "salute" in person, BTW.) But he was nothing compared to Dan Farrell in that regard! At the first November camp for the 92 season, the baritone section (we weren't known as the Buicks yet) sang the Imperial March as he walked into the rehearsal hall. The man certainly demanded respect. (He was still brass caption head at the time.)

His name is East?

• Like 1

He was a teddy bear. I dearly loved the guy, once I got to know him. He remains the only person whom I postponed a vacation for in order to speak at a retirement party/corps banquet.

• Like 1

This.....so much this.

I was never hazed in BD....I got three snuggies, but that was because I earned them, not because it was some rite of passage.

You acted like pros, you got TREATED like pros....simple.

Nothing about snuggies was professional (professional players wouldn't do such a thing and a professional org wouldn't tolerate such a juvenile thing), which is why they were stopped. As mentioned already in this thread, there was a good reason why Dave stopped these... simply the kids were above that sort of thing, just no one had really made them understand it yet.

Dave had a clear vision for taking the organization to another level in terms of professionalism and overall respect (and the bar was already pretty high). The transitional years were a bit tough, a lot of distractions with people getting emotionally invested into silly traditions that didn't really matter (I remember one hugely emotional breakdown with soloists not being able to take off their shako's).

Uniform changes in 94 were sort of a symbolic representation that this philosophical shift (91-93) was complete.

• Like 1