2012 Contra/Tuba Lines

I remember the days of 10 contras...wasn't too long ago.

Yes.

I would suggest that 16 is the new average. The sad reality is that as musicianship is dying in the world in general, due to budget cuts or lack of interest. And tuba players were a minority to begin with. Because of this, a lot of your DCI tuba players arent tuba players at all, and either learn the horn just to march, or the corps switches some people that may not make it on their respective horns. So its more of a danger now to march 12 tubs when 3 or 4 of them are beginner tuba players. I know that from 1st hand experience. In 09 we marched 12 and two of them didnt know how to play the horn.

So if you already have 3 or 4 members that don't know how to play tuba when fielding 12, wouldn't that logically mean you will have around 4-6 that don't know how to play tuba when marching 16? So why not just take the 10-12 that actually know how to play and field 12 tubas instead of having up to 6 members out that who don't know how to play the horn? I would prefer to see/hear 12 tubas that know what they are doing, than a 16 member section that, for a lack of a better word, has been diluted by more members who can't play tuba.

• Like 3

So if you already have 3 or 4 members that don't know how to play tuba when fielding 12, wouldn't that logically mean you will have around 4-6 that don't know how to play tuba when marching 16? So why not just take the 10-12 that actually know how to play and field 12 tubas instead of having up to 6 members out that who don't know how to play the horn? I would prefer to see/hear 12 tubas that know what they are doing, than a 16 member section that, for a lack of a better word, has been diluted by more members who can't play tuba.

That's a common truth, but it is also a function of the program. From my experience, as long as a member has desire, shows up, and is willing to work, I'm sure I can teach said member to play "a drum corps show." Granted, if a player can't even make a sound after a weekend audition camp, they will be cut; your "rule" will be put into effect, and a corps might have to go with less players (Cadets and Phantom had to do this recently.)

I have a soft spot for anyone willing to TRY to play contra. Think about it: It's an instrument no one cares to discern (synths anyone?). It's an instrument that blocks half the field of view. It is cumbersome to hold/carry, yet everyone expects members to flit and frolic with it like a soprano! Only a few corps have made it an OBVIOUS priority.

It can only benefit the corps and the membership to keep an open mind. It's very rare when an entire section is loaded with gunners. There is always room to improve. Even a very qualified section can be ordered 1 through 16; there will always be a "best" and a "worst" player! Note that unless you're playing a recent Bluecoats book, you don't need a section of gunners; you merely need a section of good, quality members who "get it" about "drum corps contra" within their organization's history. No one's going to be playing The Ride, Die Meistersinger or Fountains of Rome straight off the chart any time soon.

Signed,

Contra Evangelist :smile:

• Like 6

That's a common truth, but it is also a function of the program. From my experience, as long as a member has desire, shows up, and is willing to work, I'm sure I can teach said member to play "a drum corps show." Granted, if a player can't even make a sound after a weekend audition camp, they will be cut; your "rule" will be put into effect, and a corps might have to go with less players (Cadets and Phantom had to do this recently.)

I have a soft spot for anyone willing to TRY to play contra. Think about it: It's an instrument no one cares to discern (synths anyone?). It's an instrument that blocks half the field of view. It is cumbersome to hold/carry, yet everyone expects members to flit and frolic with it like a soprano! Only a few corps have made it an OBVIOUS priority.

It can only benefit the corps and the membership to keep an open mind. It's very rare when an entire section is loaded with gunners. There is always room to improve. Even a very qualified section can be ordered 1 through 16; there will always be a "best" and a "worst" player! Note that unless you're playing a recent Bluecoats book, you don't need a section of gunners; you merely need a section of good, quality members who "get it" about "drum corps contra" within their organization's history. No one's going to be playing The Ride, Die Meistersinger or Fountains of Rome straight off the chart any time soon.

Signed,

Contra Evangelist :smile:

If I didn't know any better I'd say you were my favorite tuba/singing tech :rolleyes: . But even if you didn't play a recent bluecoats book you have to admit, the books for tubas are getting a bit more difficult than usual.

• Like 1

Drum corps is also a VISUAL art form. 8-) Those extra bodies, if they can march, earn visual points. tongue.gif

• Like 2

that might officially make you a dino! :ph34r::tongue::shutup:

So what about those of us who remember when 6 was the norm?

that might officially make you a dino! :ph34r::tongue::shutup:

A baby dino....I kept the same drill number from 07 and 09. I used to be near the end (C9) of the arc and now I ended up near the middle (Tu9).

See I don't have a problem with making the section larger, as long as they can march (and play). The best marching corps, IMO, usually has the best marching contra section. It's hard as #### to clean even 12 tubas....let alone 16 or 20.

• Like 2

So what about those of us who remember when 6 was the norm?

Or none at all.