Do you agree with the phrase...

The only tradition worth having, is a tradition of excellence?

Why or why not?

No, it's also important to know where we come from.. It is also important to create and possess a sense of community, commonality, and continuance.

So a jjeffeory translation would be what..., "Traditions of inferiority are to be praised"?

One person's excellence can be another person's useless boring garbage. And when whatever you perceive as excellence comes at the expense of others trying to do the same thing, you are shooting the horse that got you there. This is where drum corps has lost it's way.

You're confusing CONTENT with execution. Excellence is excellence -- whether or not you enjoy the content in another matter entirely. And I have no idea how being "excellent" could possibly be barrier to someone else being excellent. But I'm sure you'll explain it. No wait -- I understand now...

George Hopkins.

• Like 1

No. I think the people say "yes" may not really understand what they're saying yes to. There are little rituals and traditions that govern every aspect of the lives of most people, and that's doubly true for drum corps members, who spend their summers working their tails in a high-stress, enclosed environment. Without these even the most competitively successful summer would quickly become unbearable.

But there's a balance. Clinging to every little bit of history and tradition is counterproductive. But so is change for the sake of change. Most of the top corps understand this . . . they forge ahead while still making an effort to keep in touch with their past (even if they don't do so on the field).

Edited by Rifuarian
  • Like 2

The only tradition worth having, is a tradition of excellence?

No. I think the people say "yes" may not really understand what they're saying yes to. There are little rituals and traditions that govern every aspect of the lives of most people, and that's doubly true for drum corps members, who spend their summers working their tails in a high-stress, enclosed environment. Without these even the most competitively successful summer would quickly become unbearable.

But there's a balance. Clinging to every little bit of history and tradition is counterproductive. But so is change for the sake of change. Most of the top corps understand this . . . they forge ahead while still making an effort to keep in touch with their past (even if they don't do so on the field).

Agree 100% with this.

The key word in the original statement is *only*. It excludes having any other tradition but excellence. And it's why I disagree with the statement.

Do you think that in an effort to hold on to traditions from the past, we endanger our futures because it makes us less adaptable?

No.

We can simultaneously embrace tradition and adapt. Tradition doesn't mean doing the same things over and over again.

So a jjeffeory translation would be what..., "Traditions of inferiority are to be praised"?

I'm not sure exactly what that was supposed to mean, Stu. rock.gif

You keep the traditions that work for you and your organization; that identify who you are as a corps. Things that don't work or aren't loved aren't kept as traditions.

Is it really that hard to understand? ph34r.gif

• Like 1

I'm not sure exactly what that was supposed to mean, Stu. rock.gif

You keep the traditions that work for you and your organization; that identify who you are as a corps. Things that don't work or aren't loved aren't kept as traditions.

Is it really that hard to understand? ph34r.gif

Excellence in anything, or better yet everything, certainly is the "only" tradition to have. That does "not" mean stagnation of structure (as in we have to keep the tradition of excellence in block-slip drill), but one of excellence of implementation as we progress into the future. For example; excellence in simple elementary math as a child sets a tradition; and keeping that tradition of excellence of execution as you move into differential equations is the "only" tradition to maintain. Get my drift?

Excellence in anything, or better yet everything, certainly is the "only" tradition to have. That does "not" mean stagnation of structure (as in we have to keep the tradition of excellence in block-slip drill), but one of excellence of implementation as we progress into the future. For example; excellence in simple elementary math as a child sets a tradition; and keeping that tradition of excellence of execution as you move into differential equations is the "only" tradition to maintain. Get my drift?

Well that's your opinion.

I do NOT disagree that excellence is important to have. I do believe that some tradition is also in order. It's partially a history lesson, but also a way to stay connected with community.

I'm not advocating doing the same thing every year, but it seems that you're on the other extreme of this discussion, which is so perplexing to me.

Why is it that everything is black or white to so many people when there are millions of shades of grey?

This isn't an excellence versus some other opposite thing ( called tradition) conversation.

I do appreciate that you explained yourself a little more; I though you were just trying to jab at me personally. blink.gif

Well that's your opinion.

I do NOT disagree that excellence is important to have. I do believe that some tradition is also in order. It's partially a history lesson, but also a way to stay connected with community.

I'm not advocating doing the same thing every year, but it seems that you're on the other extreme of this discussion, which is so perplexing to me.

Why is it that everything is black or white to so many people when there are millions of shades of grey?

This isn't an excellence versus some other opposite thing ( called tradition) conversation.

I do appreciate that you explained yourself a little more; I though you were just trying to jab at me personally. blink.gif

I think we are defining "tradition" differently. I am not talking about a specific custom (i.e. in the tradition of excellence as it applies to the Cavaliers forever playing Iowa as they exit the field) I am talking a tradition of excellence established within accomplishing tasks, whatever that task may entail; even a completely new task. For example: We have a tradition of excellence no matter what we choose to accomplish; and that is the only thing which really matters.