Do you agree with the phrase...

hmmmm seems to me..through History true artists flipped the world on it's head....so were told

Actually, the Artists that are the MOST well regarded in history are the ones that transcend the momentary appeal, and the appeal became appreciated over multi generations. The Classical Composers many of us here all love and cherish today are still loved and cherished by generations of audiences over a hundred years in duration. Not all were Composers, artists, musicians, singers, dancers, etc that flipped the world on its head at the time either. Some were considered avant garde at the time to be sure. But just as many were considered as conventional and as " popular " oriented as could be in their day. But their " excellence " as Performing Artists and Composers that lasted over generations was based upon their appeal to world wide audiences. History is filled with " avant garde " Performing Artists that had their momentary day in the sun of novelty and momentary sucess... but then disappeared into obscurity and oblivion.True Classic greatness is only reserved for those that appeal to multi generations. And only " tradition " and time can bring that about.

Edited by BRASSO

Actually, the Artists that are the MOST well regarded in history are the ones that transcend the momentary appeal, and the appeal became appreciated over multi generations. The Classical Composers many of us here all love and cherish today are still loved and cherished by generations of audiences over a hundred years in duration. Not all were Composers, artists, musicians, singers, dancers, etc that flipped the world on its head at the time either. Some were considered avant garde at the time to be sure. But just as many were considered as conventional and as " popular " oriented as could be in their day. But their " excellence " as Performing Artists and Composers that lasted over generations was based upon their appeal to world wide audiences. History is filled with " avant garde " Performing Artists that had their momentary day in the sun of novelty and momentary sucess... but then disappeared into obscurity and oblivion.True Classic greatness is only reserved for those that appeal to multi generations. And only " tradition " and time can bring that about.

youre right and shows I thik how generational things can be. its like how so many disliked Star in their day and love them now. So all the BD shows people dislike now will be what a newer generation will consider, cutting edge, pushing the envelope, the most artistic....but as of today many ( here ) would disagree totally.

A singular performance does not make for an " excellent " Performing Artist, imo. Its in the realm of " a good show ". To qualify for the definition of " excellence " for a Performing Artist it requires an enthusiastic audience across a wide spectrum of performances. Sometimes it requires years of well received audience receptions. Do not confuse a " sup par " show as anything more than a " sub par show ". All of the excellent Performing Artists have a sub par performance on occasion. And don't confuse " excellence " in the Performing Arts with "technical proficency" in the Performing Arts. They are not the same thing at all, imo.

U5Zbl.gif

• Like 1

You're confusing CONTENT with execution. Excellence is excellence -- whether or not you enjoy the content in another matter entirely. And I have no idea how being "excellent" could possibly be barrier to someone else being excellent. But I'm sure you'll explain it. No wait -- I understand now...

George Hopkins.

Well, aren't we jumping to conclusions a bit here? I'm not a Hopkins hater at all. And I'm not talking about content. Let's consider a brilliant performer like Miles Davis for example. Probably one of the worst "executing" performers of all time. Yet each note has it's place and can be considered excellent in it's own way. Another example might be the New York Philharmonic under Bernstein. Some of those performances were crass and dirty and the most delicious of all time. Sometimes things can be executed to death, no pun intended but it fits anyway. Excellence is much more than pure execution. When something is executed to death it can become vanilla, methodical, sterile, lifeless, and yes, boring. My remark about excellence at the expense of others was in reference to pilfering the most talented from lesser corps to feed the greater ones. Cannibalism doesn't serve anyone well.

Well, aren't we jumping to conclusions a bit here? I'm not a Hopkins hater at all. And I'm not talking about content. Let's consider a brilliant performer like Miles Davis for example. Probably one of the worst "executing" performers of all time. Yet each note has it's place and can be considered excellent in it's own way. Another example might be the New York Philharmonic under Bernstein.

I was thinking of Rod Stewart hiding behind the amps during his first shows with Jeff Becks(?) group due to nervousness. Or watching early Van Morrison with his "I don't want to be here with you people" look. LOL great singing but unless you knew VMs problems with crowds you'd want to smack that look off his face. :ph34r:

As for tradition, it doesn't have to be shown on the field. Lot of it has to do with knowing the/your corps past, knowing what those who went before you went thru and respecting it. And that respect should also be directed toward those who kept the corps together during down times.

Yeah Cliff I didn't get the response either....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

a) So, if Lady Ga-Ga happened to perform for an audience on Friday night which does not like her style she would therefore be considered awful, and if she performed the exact same show on Saturday for an audience which does like her style she would therefore be considered excellent?

b) Another scenario: Marching Band performs a show just for the moms, dads, grandmas, ...; the band is out of step; out of tune; rhythmic problems galore; 501 parents, grandparents say they are excellent; therefore the band must be defined as excellent?

If audiences determine what is excellent, then the degree of excellence would be reflected in how many audiences, what size audiences, and what audience reactions are garnered.

... My remark about excellence at the expense of others was in reference to pilfering the most talented from lesser corps to feed the greater ones. Cannibalism doesn't serve anyone well.

I wouldn't call it 'pilfering' when a person decides to move from corps 'A' to corps 'B' (as long as it is done in the accepted manner). Members are consumers...they pay to belong to whichever corps they choose, just as people pay for the products they choose to purchase.

As for 'excellence'...what exactly is 'excellence' in the OP's POV? There seem to be as many definitions in this thread as there are people posting.

As for 'excellence'...what exactly is 'excellence' in the OP's POV? There seem to be as many definitions in this thread as there are people posting.

You try to figure out "excellence" and I'll try to figure out "tradition".....

• Like 1