Few Brass Spots at SOA (1 tpt, 1 tuba, 1 bari)

Sorry for the double post. Tried to remove one. Is there a way to do that?

Friend just sent me this. I hear things are going really well, a step or two up from last year. Could be a great opportunity for someone to jump on board and probably at reduced cost.

I will be at their concert next weekend. Can't wait.

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=f52030f8-02f4-4604-aea6-bc2de9f0e03f

Edited by derbydawg

Sorry for the double post. Tried to remove one. Is there a way to do that?

It seems the easiest way to handle it is to edit one of the duplicates and replace all the text with "double post" or something similar. If there's a way to actually delete one of your own posts, I'm not aware of how to do it.

Of course, all of us have wished there was a way to delete OTHER folks' posts from time to time, but that's another story. ;-)

Contact one of the Mods and tell them which thread to delete.

Same thing with changing the Thread titles.

I also heard things were going well. Have a old BD buddy who will be at their open house. I am sure he will fill me in.

As far as the double post, everyone will figure it out.

It will be very hard to fill these spots, considering all SOA did all offseason was brag about how many people auditioned.

If that many people of quality auditioned, why wouldn't they offer those positions to them? Something doesn't add up. Either the people that auditioned weren't quality, or the numbers were wrong. Maybe both. 300-350+ people auditioning that aren't even good enough to fill holes, is hardly an audition to brag about.

• Like 3

It will be very hard to fill these spots, considering all SOA did all offseason was brag about how many people auditioned.

If that many people of quality auditioned, why wouldn't they offer those positions to them? Something doesn't add up. Either the people that auditioned weren't quality, or the numbers were wrong. Maybe both. 300-350+ people auditioning that aren't even good enough to fill holes, is hardly an audition to brag about.

*sigh*

Goodness.

Edited by dapperpoet
  • Like 3

*sigh*

Goodness.

Hater's gonna hate,Dan.

And as someone who is painfully close to the situation that led to one of those three openings, all I've got to say is he can kiss my big fat butt. :rolleyes:

I don't think that suddenly having three openings right before all-days is that big a deal, especially when you are expanding the size of your hornline as Spirit is doing.

I was there at audition camp in December, as I've been at just about every Spirit audition camp for the past 35 years. I saw the number of audtionees, and heard the talent level. I know what I saw and heard, and I know that it far exceeded anything that Spirit has had at auditions for at least 20 years. I'm not concerned at all.

Edited by oldsoprano
  • Like 3

Hater's gonna hate,Dan.

And as someone who is painfully close to the situation that led to one of those three openings, all I've got to say is he can kiss my big fat butt. :rolleyes:

I don't think that suddenly having three openings right before all-days is that big a deal, especially when you are expanding the size of your hornline as Spirit is doing.

I was there at audition camp in December, as I've been at just about every Spirit audition camp for the past 35 years. I saw the number of audtionees, and heard the talent level. I know what I saw and heard, and I know that it far exceeded anything that Spirit has had at auditions for at least 20 years. I'm not concerned at all.

Then why didn't Spirit call on those kids to come fill holes?

• Like 3

What this shows is how difficult it is for a top twelve corps to manage their inventory (potential brass members). If you start with 300 plus at audition camp what do you do? Brass staff wants to cut to a managable level (150) but adminstration wants to have everyone return to the next camp so that they can get another camp fee of $75.00. If you don't cut you are probably only going to get 200 at the next camp anyway. So the rule is don't cut anyone. Let the members cut themselves for whatever reason. Members today are smart so after several camps they can understand the dynamics of the situtation. Be honest with members as to their status in the line. Keep improving and keep coming to camps and the chance that you will be in the line improves every day. If you follow this method and adjust as the winter moves along by having members switch sections you should be ok.

I know of corps that didn't cut any of their orginal auditionee's recrutied new members all winter along and opened spring training with a full line plus alternates. While having holes at move ins is not a disaster it does slow the development of the corps concept.

• Like 3

What this shows is how difficult it is for a top twelve corps to manage their inventory (potential brass members). If you start with 300 plus at audition camp what do you do? Brass staff wants to cut to a managable level (150) but adminstration wants to have everyone return to the next camp so that they can get another camp fee of $75.00. If you don't cut you are probably only going to get 200 at the next camp anyway. So the rule is don't cut anyone. Let the members cut themselves for whatever reason. Members today are smart so after several camps they can understand the dynamics of the situtation. Be honest with members as to their status in the line. Keep improving and keep coming to camps and the chance that you will be in the line improves every day. If you follow this method and adjust as the winter moves along by having members switch sections you should be ok.

I know of corps that didn't cut any of their orginal auditionee's recrutied new members all winter along and opened spring training with a full line plus alternates. While having holes at move ins is not a disaster it does slow the development of the corps concept.

Great post!

• Like 1