names of corps

what about the toileteers, from flushing, ny?? great name.. :)

There was a corps from Michigan up until about the early 90's called Northern Aurora, which I believe was the result of a merger between two other corps or else was what the Northernaires had evolved into. Northern and Aurora are the names of two brands of toilet paper :)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a corps from Michigan up until about the early 90's called Northern Aurora, which I believe was the result of a merger between two other corps or else was what the Northernaires had evolved into. Northern and Aurora are the names of two brands of toilet paper :)

northern aurora used to be the saginaires, from saginaw michigan. not sure why they changed their name, but it happened in the mid eighties

Little known fact...the Crossmen were technically named after a person. When the 507th Hornets and Keystone Regiment merged, there was a contest to "name the corps." The Hornets were, at the time, sponsored by the American Legion Post #507 in Norwood, PA. The Post was named in honor of a war veteran named John Wesley CROSS.

Other suggested names for the new corps that were thankfully rejected?

The Pennsylvania Atlantics

The Vigilantes (I kninda like this one!)

The Yankee Minutemen

...and my personal favorite...

The Delco Devil Dogs!!!

(I'm not making this up!)

When I was in the Geneseo Knights, we had a Rookie Day each year. The vets would "buy" rookies, and the rookies were dressed-up in ridiculous costumes and had to march the show. The name of the rookie corps was "Hoopole Sunbeams." It was a fun time. It was even more fun for me when I learned there really was a Hoopole, Illinois!

Bob Blomberg

Geneseo Knights, '79-'83

Kilties, '01-'02

P.S. Just try marching a bass drum spot wearing high heels and carrying an umbrella!

northern aurora used to be the saginaires, from saginaw michigan. not sure why they changed their name, but it happened in the mid eighties

Thanks, that makes more sense. Now that I think of it, the Northernaires were from Green Bay, WI :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Ya know ... "Blue Rock" always struck me as a funny name, too. I mean ... Blue Rock? I don't really get it. Anyone know the genesis of that name? It sort of stands out amid all the various Knights, Stars, Cadets, Scouts, Cavaliers, and Vanguards ... :D

Fun fact -- unless I'm grossly mistaken, there isn't one corps competing in North America today that has a color other than blue in their name. (And no, the "Green Machine" doesn't count. LOL)

A Blue Rock is a breed of chicken. Good thing they didn't have a corps from Rhode Island called The Reds...or did they?

:P

SCDreamer