names of corps

"Names":

The "Grey Knights Post Crusaders": A merger senior corps of the Rochester Crusaders and Gray Knights. Shortened to 'Rochester Crusaders' and goes by that name at present.

"Ballantine Brewers": Newark NJ senior corps initially sponsored by the P. Ballantine Brewing Company. The late Mickey Petrone was the corps director.

"Jolly Whalers": New Bedford MA senior. The name was shortened to 'Whalers'.

"Corps of the North": Fairbanks Alaska junior corps. Started by Dave Shaw (a Garfield Cadets Alum and columnist for Drum Corps World) when he was stationed in Alaska.

Butler PA had two juniors with 'lengthy' names: The General Butler Vagabonds', and the 'Catholic Daughters of American'.

St Johns 'Missilemen': A junior corps from Winthrop MA

There is a great listing of 'long gone' drum corps, with unusual names, in the DCW published "History of Drum Corps" Vol #1.

Elphaba

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Folks How bout Avant Garde? You didn't forget us already did ya?

Hey Baribrian:

Who could forget you guys? In you lime green unis(?) Back in '77 every time

we, Northstars, thought we had made some distance between us you were right

there with us. Boy p'd us a lot. But it made us work that much harder. We didn't

hate you for it, just the fact that you worked just as hard as we did. By the way,

did you guys have the Roman helmuts with the brush on top? Just curious.

Thanks for the rivalry, even though it wasn't a public one.

Old Dutch Boy Cadet,

Thanks for remembering. No that wasn't us that wore the Roman Helmets. Were you with the Kitchner North Star?

Ironically, The Avant Garde were the result of a merger between a Corp. named Emerald Knights and the Spegeleirs

Ya I thought so. That was so darn long ago, 28 years to be exact. Yes I was with the Kitchener Northstars. I'm surprized you even knew that. A lot of corps called us that other corps from Canada, the other two were Oakland Crusaders and

and the Seneca Optimists. We used to call the Emerald Knights the Fuller Brush

Cadets. (But that was an inside joke)

From Phoenix Arizona....please welcome

BURNT!

LOVE IT! That's actually a perfect corps name for around here. (We could compete with Crunchy Frog....we could be Burnt Toast! lol.)

Not exactly the WORST name, but I have NEVER liked it, especially for a corps from Phoenix- The Musketeers.

• 3 months later...
What are some of your all-time favorite (or least favorite) names of corps?  Which ones stand out as especially strange or unique?

I'm sorry but I can't stand the name Glassmen. I know I'm gonna get burned for this but the name itself resonates those being fragile and breakable. Names like Phantom Regiment, Crossmen, Santa Clara Vanguard, ect.. sounds like corps you wouldn't mess with.