2012 Fan Network

I hear ya: it's not the ticket prices that are a deal-break for me and my family: it's the substantial cost of traveling that I can't afford. Since moving to Southern CA summer of 99 I've only attended finals once and that was when it was in Pasadena. I would pay the price of a Finals ticket to live stream the event.

I think there are a number of us Left Coasters who are similar in this regard. As someone who is retired, fixed income, and who travels once yearly to a location I want to shoot for my second career, photography business, the cost of traveling to Indiana for Finals is simply prohibitive. I mean, Indianapolis is a nice enough city, but its just not very high up on my list of great photographic locations to invest my limited travel budget on! Thus, I depend on FN for my drum corps experience (after the early west coast shows, of course) as the season progresses. I too would gladly pay the full ticket price for a live stream in order to see Finals in real time.

Brainstorm/idea:

What if DCI enacted a policy similar to NFL & other sports' network details: "black out" the live stream for a certain radius around Indy. If you live within, say, 100 miles (the NFL blackout rules apply for those within a 75 mile radius. of the Indianapolis zip code you can't live stream finals, but those folks who live further away and are not likely to be a walk-up ticket-buyer could live stream the event for the average price of a WC Finals ticket. Heck, maybe DCI can also incorporate a clause where no one can live stream the event unless DCI reaches a specific ticket-sales threshold (like, they have to sell at least 15,000 Finals tickets or no live stream: if they sell 15,000 or more tickets the 100 mile radius blackout applies).

They could also add that as the Fan Network DVD/Blu-ray bundle. For example, this year's Fan Network would be $65 for live stream other than finals, and then an additional $120 gets you the Finals Blu-ray AND live-stream of Finals.

I truly believe if they incorporated both of those policies DCI at worst would make no more/less money than current FN revenue, and at best they would make a significant increase in Finals revenue.

well.....only one problem.

the NFL is blacking out free tv or at worst, usually basic cable. There is no alternative showing of finals anywhere, so if you back out in a certain radius, you may #### off people that can't afford the ticket price, have a different real life reason they can go etc.

I also don't really like the idea of attaching finals to the DVD order.

Knowing how many people pay just to watch semis, DCI would be smart to do one thing:

Regardless of your Fan Network subscription, a flat $25 fee to watch finals. even $40.

if 500 people buy it at 440, that's $20k in revenue before expenses. Say DCI gets 40% of it after expenses. Thats $8k more than they had before. That's $8k more that can be spread around to the corps. I'm pretty sure more than 500 people would buy it.

• Like 1

well.....only one problem.

the NFL is blacking out free tv or at worst, usually basic cable. There is no alternative showing of finals anywhere, so if you back out in a certain radius, you may #### off people that can't afford the ticket price, have a different real life reason they can go etc.

Knowing how many people pay just to watch semis, DCI would be smart to do one thing:

Regardless of your Fan Network subscription, a flat $25 fee to watch finals. even $40.

if 500 people buy it at 440, that's $20k in revenue before expenses. Say DCI gets 40% of it after expenses. Thats $8k more than they had before. That's $8k more that can be spread around to the corps. I'm pretty sure more than 500 people would buy it.

I get the criticism regarding the DVD/stream packaging and the blackout. I'm just thinking of a solution if DCI wanted to cover all of their basis (if they're worried that live-streaming Finals would hurt either ticket sales or DVD sales). Nothing they do will make everyone happy, but if their goal is to provide a new service to fans, create a new revenue stream, while also protecting their current revenue stream I think my proposal (while kind of harsh/hard-line) would suffice. If DCI wants to be bold and try something new while also being conservative, I think my idea would work.

As for the blackout thing, FWIW it apples to internet streaming as well: at least for MLB. One year I bought the MLB streaming package, and I couldn't watch any games of my home team (which was fine, because I wanted to watch other games). When I traveled to the other side of the country to visit family in OH, I still couldn't live stream San Diego Padres games. MLB used the credit card billing address to determine the blackout zone.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of it either; I'm not a huge fan of attaching Finals VOD with DVD/Blu-ray either. But I get why DCI does that, and I have gladly bought the DVD or Blu-ray the past two years to get to watch the Finals VOD ASAP

I get the criticism regarding the DVD/stream packaging and the blackout. I'm just thinking of a solution if DCI wanted to cover all of their basis (if they're worried that live-streaming Finals would hurt either ticket sales or DVD sales). Nothing they do will make everyone happy, but if their goal is to provide a new service to fans, create a new revenue stream, while also protecting their current revenue stream I think my proposal (while kind of harsh/hard-line) would suffice. If DCI wants to be bold and try something new while also being conservative, I think my idea would work.

As for the blackout thing, FWIW it apples to internet streaming as well: at least for MLB. One year I bought the MLB streaming package, and I couldn't watch any games of my home team (which was fine, because I wanted to watch other games). When I traveled to the other side of the country to visit family in OH, I still couldn't live stream San Diego Padres games. MLB used the credit card billing address to determine the blackout zone.

MLB's blackouts are a joke. I know people who live 4 hours from Philly, that can't get any kind of Philly sports stations, yet are blacked out on Dish.

Really...there are more like us, than not who can't go, or won't go for whatever reason. Showing finals is going to help them more than hurt them. Face it...many people are tired of Indy, and it's got how many years left? People don't like the dome. People have real life issues keeping them away.

if you charge $50 for finals, and 1000 people buy it....that's $50k in revenue.

drumcat ... first off, I want to thank you for all the information you give the fans about the Fan Network. We really appreciate it. I did want to bring back a question that someone asked that you must have missed because I'm curious about it was well. I've been buying the APD's ever since it started in 2004 but I don't see any APD's listed on the schedule this year. Are you just waiting on confirmation of where you'll be able to do APD's or is there something else going on? I hope DCI hasn't decided not to provide APD's this year ...

Thanks! :thumbup:

This happens every year. They'll put up the schedule for APDs when they finalize everything.

drumcat ... first off, I want to thank you for all the information you give the fans about the Fan Network. We really appreciate it. I did want to bring back a question that someone asked that you must have missed because I'm curious about it was well. I've been buying the APD's ever since it started in 2004 but I don't see any APD's listed on the schedule this year. Are you just waiting on confirmation of where you'll be able to do APD's or is there something else going on? I hope DCI hasn't decided not to provide APD's this year ...

Thanks! :thumbup:

We'll add the APDs in later. They'll definitely be done at QF, and we'll see what we can do for on-field engineering along the way. I think it's also safe to say Stanford, Denver, and San Antonio. Yes, schedule pending. Oh, and yes, those videos need labels, but they're all up. BTW, if you have a good connection, you can go full-screen and get up to 1280 video on those VODs just posted. More news to come... Who's ready for Stanford, right?

the new "tweetcasts" are welcomed content ... but why (DCI) can't we just access them from the dci.org page instead of going to itunes, or twitter, or facebook?

it can't be a marketing ploy, because you never want to redirect from your own site ... ?