You have 30 minutes...

..."Drum Corps...... it's the Lexus of Marching Music!"

I'd personally go with, "Lexus...it's the drum corps of cars." :thumbup::tongue:

• Like 2

The dealership cares about the bottom line.

Emphasize the points that WhiteDawn made.

Also, find a way to allow the dealership to have:

1. A static vehicle display directly infront of or just inside the primary entrance.

2. Allow the dealership to put up signage and use their display assets at various points around the facilities.

3. Allow the dealership to use premium based lead generation to gather prospective buyers and/or supply people with more information about the vehicles.

Experiential marketing as a part of a media or sponsorship buy is A LOT OF ADDED value. That value, many times, sets the sponsorship pitch over the top.

Static displays are not allowed by state dealer associations - the rules are very strict. A dealer's name is not allowed on any display vehicle off the dealer's lot (apparently other dealers complain that they don't have enough exposure. (You know, kind of like that G7 thing :-)

Remember, the dealer has a virtual lock on the local market for a Lexus. He doesn't need more advertising. He might be interested if the target audience is a group who wouldn't buy a car from him anyway.

A free test drive? A bag of popcorn while you walk the showroom? What's the "premium"?

I don't know who is downvoting you, but they are absurd.

If I were doing the pitch, I'd probably hit on two things:

*According to MENC research, 83% of the people who make more than $150,000 per year participated in music education as a student. (Link) Since your audience is presumably made up of music students and their parents, the audience is similar to a PGA event, but *younger!* Your audience = their market in 10, 15, 20 years.

*Deep connections with the community. Your audience is comprised of members of society who are in to cultural things like live music. I'd bet that this population serves as "tastemakers" regarding the area at large. These people care about this activity, and for a name sponsor that is a luxury brand to show some love to you would go a LONG way with these folks.

"And in 10 or 15 years (if I haven't already retired to Naples) those earners will come to me to buy a Lexus if they want one."

"Tastemasters? I already have those as customers."

Plan, did you give me a red neggy?

You're a mad man, alright, but only when BD's around.

:tongue:

G, you can't seriously be asking me that question......I love this thread...leave it to you to start it! Many greenies!

• Like 1

Exactly right. The relationship is not between "drum corps" and "luxury vehicles." The only relationship that matters is "spend" to "bottom line," or more succinctly, "potential market" to "brand." The potential for Lexus' market to match the audience of the show certainly exists, so it's just a matter of connecting the dots.

Experience is KEY for this demo. They aren't driven by value pricing -- they just want stuff to work and work well. Bonus points if it looks cool or is a status symbol.

Hook a GX up to a trailer. Park it right inside. Let every attendee filter by it. ("Look! Lexuses can tow stuff! How great would our boat look behind that?!")

The pitch is "Brand awareness among this audience is invaluable both now and in the future, because these adults are your market already, and their children will be once they reach adulthood."

The dealership cares about the bottom line.

Emphasize the points that WhiteDawn made.

Also, find a way to allow the dealership to have:

1. A static vehicle display directly infront of or just inside the primary entrance.

2. Allow the dealership to put up signage and use their display assets at various points around the facilities.

3. Allow the dealership to use premium based lead generation to gather prospective buyers and/or supply people with more information about the vehicles.

Experiential marketing as a part of a media or sponsorship buy is A LOT OF ADDED value. That value, many times, sets the sponsorship pitch over the top.

Static displays are not allowed by state dealer associations - the rules are very strict. A dealer's name is not allowed on any display vehicle off the dealer's lot (apparently other dealers complain that they don't have enough exposure. (You know, kind of like that G7 thing :-)

Remember, the dealer has a virtual lock on the local market for a Lexus. He doesn't need more advertising. He might be interested if the target audience is a group who wouldn't buy a car from him anyway.

A free test drive? A bag of popcorn while you walk the showroom? What's the "premium"?

Some of this information isn't accurate. Lexus is broken into 3 experiential categories. Tier 1 (National Events, done via two seperate agencies primarily), Tier 2 (Regional Events, done via an IPG agency), Tier 3 (Dealership). When the dealership is paying the sponsorship, they are not bound to the Tier 1 and Tier 2 static regulations. This must mean they would be making the purchase from their Lexus Tier 1/Tier 2 marketing/advertising funding. As little money as it is, they should be able to use their dealership marketing/advertising funds. Or they are giving you a convenient excuse to show they aren't interested.

Premium based lead generation for a Drum Corps show... could be many things. Seat cushions that are Lexus branded, water tumblers, sunscreen, bug spray, drawstring style bags, etc.

Premium based lead generation is great for an event like this. By taking everyone's information and then providing the premium, there would be some people ask for more information and several probably ask for quotes via the dealer. This is a good idea because it allows the dealer to quantify the success of their purchase with quotes, opt ins, and consumer interactions.

Some of this information isn't accurate. Lexus is broken into 3 experiential categories. Tier 1 (National Events, done via two seperate agencies primarily), Tier 2 (Regional Events, done via an IPG agency), Tier 3 (Dealership). When the dealership is paying the sponsorship, they are not bound to the Tier 1 and Tier 2 static regulations. This must mean they would be making the purchase from their Lexus Tier 1/Tier 2 marketing/advertising funding. As little money as it is, they should be able to use their dealership marketing/advertising funds. Or they are giving you a convenient excuse to show they aren't interested.

Premium based lead generation for a Drum Corps show... could be many things. Seat cushions that are Lexus branded, water tumblers, sunscreen, bug spray, drawstring style bags, etc.

Premium based lead generation is great for an event like this. By taking everyone's information and then providing the premium, there would be some people ask for more information and several probably ask for quotes via the dealer. This is a good idea because it allows the dealer to quantify the success of their purchase with quotes, opt ins, and consumer interactions.

The show promoter keeps close demo data collected from online ticket sales and surveys-for-useless-stuff at the show. Why not offer to give him the entire mailing list? The show promoter wouldn't then have to spend on branded seat cushions and water bottles.

Edited by garfield

You're probably right on all this. But, if true, the dealer would offer the display from his m/a funds. If it's a convenient excuse and the promoter knows the rules you've stated, how does the pitch remove the objection before it's presented?

Tier 1, Tier 2... who gives a crap! All I know is.. while you guys are arguing about this..I'm having my way with your wives!

Signed, Don

Edited by Plan9
  • Like 1