George Hopkins

We want a limitless DCI??? Really let's think about the logistics of it all.

Not just the 200 BPM thing.

How many clarinets do you need to have to be heard in balance, in LOS, with Carolina Crown's horn line for the past decade??

How many pics? flutes? clarinets? bassoons? oboes?

Let's not forget the marching Bass Sax line...

Many in my university band do... and they learned a brass instrument to go do it...

Most don't care to... and either hate marching band... or actually love it... and they love drum corps.. but don't want to march.. in fact there are plenty of brass players who feel the same exact way... and some brass players even learn different instruments to go march corps. I mean...many brass players do not play on their main instrument. My instrument isn't legal... neither is a concert horn... or a concert euphonium.. or a concert tuba...

So we should legalize all them too!

NO!

They don't make sense on the field! (well the trombone actually would work... except for special consideration in drill...)

See, you're going back to field logistics, which is not really a problem. Designers can figure how to implement anything into a show if they need to. Furthermore, you're comparing different forms of brass instruments. Woodwinds are a whole different class of instrument altogether and would drastically change the sound in the show. And you kind of hurt your argument when you admit that trombones (I'm guessing your preferred instrument) could be added, but the others cannot for arbitrary reasons.

We want a limitless DCI??? Really let's think about the logistics of it all.

Not just the 200 BPM thing.

How many clarinets do you need to have to be heard in balance, in LOS, with Carolina Crown's horn line for the past decade??

How many pics? flutes? clarinets? bassoons? oboes?

Don't forget about marching oboes and bass clarinets too. Wouldn't want to leave those performers out....

You're like a broken record and we can always count on you to chime in on these threads, since you are the poster child for political correctness and your agenda regarding woodwinds...

But the question I have for you is this (and it's a very direct question): why the need to change drum corps into something other than what it is?

At last check, marching band already exists the wold over in multitudes that drum corps could only dream of. DCI is the last bastion of a very unique activity that all of us here (with the exception of you) enjoy. Drum corps flourished for many many years BECAUSE of its unique identity, not IN SPITE OF it. If woodwinds and everything else is the answer (as you see it) then a competing marching band circuit should easily be as popular or even surpass DCI in short order.

Yet, it wouldn't. It would be a firey train wreck of utter fail...because we already have marching band. Drum corps is unique unto itself. So, why push so hard to change it?

A drum corps is a marching band, only right now it has instrumentation limits...IMO it should not have those limits. It is not a unique anything...it is a band missing some ingredients...always has been. I am not changing it from something into something else; I just support the concept that it should have no limits on the instruments that can be used.

Who said I don't enjoy drum corps as it is? Of course I do...I've enjoyed it in every form it has taken since I started in 1964.

As for me 'pushing' anything...I am just a fan, no more or less. I post my POV as do you. Isn't that permitted here?

• Like 2

I'm interested to know how the current model is "too restrictive"?

It doesn't allow woodwinds. That's kind of what we're talking about here.

• Like 1

A drum corps is a marching band, only right now it has instrumentation limits...IMO it should not have those limits. It is not a unique anything...it is a band missing some ingredients...always has been. I am not changing it from something into something else; I just support the concept that it should have no limits on the instruments that can be used.

Who said I don't enjoy drum corps as it is? Of course I do...I've enjoyed it in every form it has taken since I started in 1964.

As for me 'pushing' anything...I am just a fan, no more or less. I post my POV as do you. Isn't that permitted here?

This guy gets it.

I wouldn't say that WWs are a whole half of the music spectrum... should we open up DCI to string instruments? Should we have computer corps? Just have people marching around the field with laptops attached to perform computer music?

Oh... and if they add Woodwinds... they better allow slide trombones... my feelings will be so hurt...

They should alloow the slide trombone, and any other instrument a corps wants to use. I don't "favor woodwinds"; I favor "no limits", whatever a groups wants to use.

just one person that is so outspoken... when "Hopkins" (in quotes b/c he was the most vocal and got most of the blame) tried the G7 ploy, he had 6 others on board. Can you say there aren't other's on his side of the woodwind issue also?

In this case, they aren't. And I don't think George is all that serious about it, either. The list of difficulties that adding woodwinds would entail is a mile long. Woodwinds are a massive, expensive headache that no one really wants. Woodwind soloists in the pits - something I'm personally okay with - is as far as the woodwind thing will go.

One observation, not really directed at soccerguy: Many people in the drum corps community, both on this forum and off it, make the assumption that band kids want drum corps to be just like band. It's easy to understand why some of us assume this to be true, but when you actually talk to band students you find out it's not usually. Even for woodwind players.

If anyone could ever pull this off, I'd be down with it as a one time thing just from the sheer strength and ability to do nearly impossible things it would take to do this (it'd have to be someone freakishly tall to start with though).

But otherwise no woodwinds for many reasons. Mostly because the interest (if it ever somehow got passed) would last maybe a season and then they'd realize why they've never been allowed in the first place and there wouldn't be enough interested woodwind players left to be worth fielding per corps.