George Hopkins

In this case, they aren't. And I don't think George is all that serious about it, either. The list of difficulties that adding woodwinds would entail is a mile long. Woodwinds are a massive, expensive headache that no one really wants. Woodwind soloists in the pits - something I'm personally okay with - is as far as the woodwind thing will go.

One observation, not really directed at soccerguy: Many people in the drum corps community, both on this forum and off it, make the assumption that band kids want drum corps to be just like band. It's easy to understand why some of us assume this to be true, but when you actually talk to band students you find out it's not usually. Even for woodwind players.

1. As far as no one wanting that "expensive headache", I can almost guarantee you that is false.

2. Anecdotal evidence - if you go ask a WW player and he or she says "no, I don't want drum corps to be like marching band," that doesn't mean that anyone else agrees.

Edited by Nizerifin

It doesn't allow woodwinds. That's kind of what we're talking about here.

Way to take that comment out of context. Try answering again using the full quote.

A drum corps is a marching band, only right now it has instrumentation limits...IMO it should not have those limits. It is not a unique anything...it is a band missing some ingredients...always has been. I am not changing it from something into something else; I just support the concept that it should have no limits on the instruments that can be used.

Who said I don't enjoy drum corps as it is? Of course I do...I've enjoyed it in every form it has taken since I started in 1964.

As for me 'pushing' anything...I am just a fan, no more or less. I post my POV as do you. Isn't that permitted here?

NO! We WILL defeat the Borg!

I guess, we just don't see your reasoning behind your opinion. And you already have marching band which is limitless with instrumentation. What is wrong with having a sub culture in marching band? And it's changed enough... sometimes not for the best. IMO electronics haven't been used as effectively as they could be, there are few instances where use actually adds to a show. If anything electronics have taken away creativity from the designers. Instead of finding a way to imitate a sound, we just stroke a key. Really the only other thing we can add in is more instruments. Another addition that will add nothing to the activity. Well... it will add nothing that isn't already around somewhere else.

• Like 2

1. As far as no one wanting that "expensive headache", I can almost guarantee you that that is false.

2. Anecdotal evidence - if you go ask a WW player and he or she says "no, I don't want drum corps to be like marching band" that doesn't mean that anyone else agrees.

1. Almost guarantee? Well then who? No staffer, designer, or instructor I've spoken wants full, marching woodwind sections except for Hopkins, and Hopkins is pretty much half or even quarter-###ed about the whole thing.

2. I've taken hundreds and hundreds of band kids on trips to the Murfreesboro competition over the past decade. I enjoy asking them questions as a group, whose your favorite corps, that sort of thing. I do ask about woodwinds. Generally the kids don's feel it's needed. By no means am I saying all of them think this way. But most do.

I guess, we just don't see your reasoning behind your opinion. And you already have marching band which is limitless with instrumentation. What is wrong with having a sub culture in marching band? And it's changed enough... sometimes not for the best. IMO electronics haven't been used as effectively as they could be, there are few instances where use actually adds to a show. If anything electronics have taken away creativity from the designers. Instead of finding a way to imitate a sound, we just stroke a key. Really the only other thing we can add in is more instruments. Another addition that will add nothing to the activity. Well... it will add nothing that isn't already around somewhere else.

This.

Why do we need "summer marching band?" Go watch it all you want in the fall by high schools and colleges, if you're looking for no limits. I really just don't understand, I guess.

devil.gif

Be happy with your limitless marching band! Don't sissy up my drum corps with your sissy limitless crap!

• Like 1

This.

Why do we need "summer marching band?" Go watch it all you want in the fall by high schools and colleges, if you're looking for no limits. I really just don't understand, I guess.

Drum corps is summer marching band. Always has been.

• Like 3

Is this what you're afraid of? :tongue:

safe_image.php_.jpg

• Like 1

Sometimes Mike... I really think you are the number one troll on the internet... and one day you'll just come out with it when you're done having your fun on DCP. And you are just sitting at home laughing so hard because we fall for it, EVERY TIME.

• Like 2

Drum corps is summer marching band. Always has been.

Sorry, Mike.

Drum Corps is the next level.

It's not marching band. Not to me anyway...

• Like 2