Battle Creek Brewery

I think this new judging system is the work of a higher demonic force. Two corps, both which have finished second, have scores of 66.6. Vanguard yesterday, Stars today. :devil::ph34r:

• Like 1

So how was Glassmen's show? Did many of the props make it in since family day?

Sorry. Hard to focus at the shows! I just got back.

Glassmen had new shakos. Not really much of a difference. The colors are distributed a little differently and the shield on it is more centered. The sideline "judge-hiders" (never could remember the technical term for them) were in and looked gorgeous. Guard was wearing the '10 closer outfit. Most of the silks were in. Interesting effect for the ballad in which they're toying around with reflections: the flags have printed pictures (reflections) of the guard member's face who is spinning it. Never seen anything like it.

The rest of the props were NOT in. Really expecting the effect scores to shoot up as props are added in and cohesion of each movement becomes clearer.

As a side note, the instant encore from each corps (except, oddly, Troopers) was an AWESOME touch. Got some good footage of the Glassmen's encore that I'm going to post in the Glassmen family page (I might put one of the standstill movements on YouTube as well...we'll see). That hornline is freakin' LOUD!! Once they get their feet under them on the field and can play like they do when they're standing...watch out!

Blue Stars mostly did runs of their show tunes. Another hornline that is just stupidly loud. I've been sitting up top at most shows the past few years, but after sitting three rows up on the 50 I may rethink my decision. When the Bluecoats did the Boxer...my god. The volume of the impact actually pushed me back in my seat a bit. I couldn't hear myself cheering. THAT is what drum corps is about.

Legends also did a standstill performance of their full show "The Edmund Fitzgerald'. I'm always impressed by how loud open class corps are. Their show is really ambitious in terms of the brass book. Some good licks through the hornline and very cool impact moments. Keep a look out for them if they're at a show you go to this summer. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Tonight was a pleasant evening at a really nice smaller venue for drum corps. Once the heat simmered down a bit it got pretty nice out. Got to catch up a lot of friends too! Can't beat all of that.

Next show I'll be at will be Michigan City. I'll try and get a public twitter account going so I can post pictures and quick updates for the few shows I get out to this summer. Meant to do it for tonight's show, but it slipped my mind.

• Like 2

When the Bluecoats did the Boxer...my god. The volume of the impact actually pushed me back in my seat a bit. I couldn't hear myself cheering. THAT is what drum corps is about.

Attention George Hopkins: This is a solid reason why we don't need/want woodwinds.

Thank you sir, for taking time to write your nice review.

• Like 2