Is it REALLY worth it?

So, in this hypothetical, these kids in college, are they in the school of music? If "yes," then, go ahead and do whatever you want with your summer....it won't matter - the job market is so brutal for music majors.... might as well go have yourself an "experience of a lifetime".

Edited by HockeyDad

This post is what I've been wondering myself. No, I have not marched Drum Corps. BUT, for those of you who may have seen the topic I started, I plan to next year (which will be my age out year.)

I can see where this person is coming from with financial reasons. For example, I live in the southern portion of Alabama. My closest commute to a World Class Corps is probably Spirit of Atlanta, then Teal Sound. I'm not sure which of those I want to audition for yet, but I will certainly weigh my options. I know those of you that have done this will say: "Location shouldn't matter." Well, I could agree with that, and the statement that "If you want to do this bad enough location shouldn't be an issue." I totally understand both sides of the coin.

As for me, I will graduate from a 4-year college in May of 2013. By that point I will be 21 and facing my last possible year to march DCI. Do I want to do it? Heck yes! I've always wanted to, but never made the full commitment to driving somewhere and going for it.

I am not a music major, in fact far from it. I'm majoring in journalism, planning to work with a Sports Information department one day. Is music my life? Absolutely not. To be honest, my musical abilities aren't where they should be (comparing to my past). However, with my last year of eligibility approaching, I want to make the commitment and join someone, somewhere and spend my summer of 2013 living the dream I've always wanted to do. And, the fact that corps and people are posting on here in late May saying there are still spots open makes me want to do it that much more. I feel like I'm letting someone down by not filling a spot that they have open, saying "that could have been me."

Sorry that was so long, but I hope many of you understand where I'm coming from.

And another thing...I may be totally going against the Drum Corps code with this, but I'm not looking to march to better my musical ability. In fact, that's the least thing I look forward to doing. As I said before, I am not a music major and never will be one. I want to do this activity for many other reasons. I've watched DCI for about 6 or 7 years, and I've seen the opportunities these kids get and I want to have those same ones. Travel, friends for a lifetime, the opportunity to push oneself day in and day out for a whole summer, and the chance to brighten thousands of fans days is why I'm so interested in this.

If I get ridiculed for this post, so be it...but there are far more reasons for this activity than to better oneself on thy instrument.

• Like 1

I never marched for financial reasons. I was fortunate enough to have the means to finance my kid to march 3 seasons. She is a much better and stronger person for her efforts. I say yes - It's worth it!

• Like 1

It's worth it to those who feel it is worth it.

To me, all of the virtues found in drum corps can be found in other activities, at much more affordable costs. The activity itself has been largely unsustainable for years, and it's not going to get better.

I think that's one of the reasons drum corps never got the kind of corporate support/backing that Bill Cook had envisioned would eventually become the norm: Cost per capita is too high, and it's easier to reach more kids, at a lower cost, by philanthropy to different types of arts organizations. Don't see that changing either.

But for those who want to do it, the only way is to support the costs. It's not rocket surgery.

Edited by DCIHasBeen
  • Like 1

So, here's the vibe I'm getting from these replies. It seems to me that, in this day in time in Drum Corps, people are treating this activity like it's a guaranteed spot in whatever organization they tried out for. Because, most of you are saying the only thing getting in the way is money. That makes total sense, but the person still has to make the cut so to speak. Or is that not the case anymore? Because like I said before, each year I see more and more corps posting spots still available in late May...which leads me to believe that the selection of members isn't as strict as it used to be.

Asking "is it really worth it" suggests that it can be looked at from a narrow perspective and that the thousands who are participating are unintelligent. Worth is a perception of the consumer. Someone just bought George Washington's copy of the constitution for a few million dollars. It was worth it to that person.

People participate in Drum Corps for a variety of reasons. Cost will become a larger and larger factor as long as the economy does not significantly turn around. HOWEVER, it is really a factor of the individual what they get out of Drum Corps. My daughter recently interviewed for a job and the manager asked her "why do you think I should hire you over the next person?"

My daughter's reply was along these lines: "Because I spent the last summer in an intense team environment in which I got up by 6:00 a.m., rehearsed in 90+ degree heat for up to 12 hours a day with limited breaks, performed in the same heat for crowds of thousands and then willingly got up the next morning and did it again - smiling every time we practiced or performed our show. I managed to get along with everyone while I did it and never stopped being a good team player - that's why you should hire me."

Did she join drum corps so she could say that? No - did she reap the benefit? Absolutely.

Jason

I would add that while drum corps helps a music ed resume I have seen "others" that have marched learn very little after that from "real" world music experience.

A couple things:

1. You do NOT need to warm up for 1 hr before working music or playing a gig.

2. You do NOT practice 15 hours a day on the same music in the real world.

3. Everything you learned in you "corps" is not the be all and end all of playing, breathing and interpretation.

The list goes on but you get the idea. Drum Corps is AWESOME, but it's not the Bible of Music Education or Performance.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!

So, here's the vibe I'm getting from these replies. It seems to me that, in this day in time in Drum Corps, people are treating this activity like it's a guaranteed spot in whatever organization they tried out for. Because, most of you are saying the only thing getting in the way is money. That makes total sense, but the person still has to make the cut so to speak. Or is that not the case anymore? Because like I said before, each year I see more and more corps posting spots still available in late May...which leads me to believe that the selection of members isn't as strict as it used to be.

well, the only way to participate in drum corps is to make the cut. If you don't make the corps, then you are not participating in the activity, so you can't really say if it was worth it, since you didn't do it.

and yes, corps are using new means of advertising their openings. Remember the internet as a whole is still fairly new. 12 years ago there was no DCP to post your openings. Facebook only started in 2004 and didn't open to everyone for a few more years. Twitter is even newer.