Is it REALLY worth it?

Are you saying a Music Ed Degree will provide a better long term financial cost " payout " than degrees in business, finance, genetic and molecular engineering, etc ? With Cities and Towns strapped for cash to pay future obligations to pensioners ( to cite one pitfall )? That a Music Ed Degree is a great future choice " from a purely economical standpont " ? Andthat majoring in other degree specialties is " NOT worth it ". Really ? Are you serious, or just saying this tongue in cheek ?

You've missed my point entirely.

As a music ed major...doing drum corps is often a HELP in landing you a job.

As a finance major...it made zero difference unless you argue the worth ethic / teamwork side of things which the average recruiter won't understand.

I'm not comparing salaries here.

• Like 1

I know drum corps helped me become a better teacher and musician! No matter how much my schooling helped mr get ready for a career, drum corps gave me even more. Fundamentals, mentoring, team work, work ethic, efficiency of time are just some of things I got that helped shape me. It's paid for itself and then some

That's exactly my point. Doing drum corps full time doesn't allow for you to build your resume with anything else!

My view, is that doing Drum Corps, or not doing Drum Corps, will ultimately have no long term negative effects on your success chances in your career. Whether one is successful or a failure... from a financial payout... is not determined by the time spent in Drum Corps. I can give you hundreds of cases where people reached the pinnacle of financial wealth and success and who did Drum Corps in their youth. ( a some that wound up broke and destitute in life that did Drum Corps too ). The ages from 22 to 75 give one losts of time to rejigger their life choices and career choices. Some don't blossom in their careers until the kids are grown and moved out. Many, if not most, people will have multiple careers in their lifetimes, some good, some not so good. Some will finally open up their own businesses, and wonder why the hell they worked for someone else's dream for a few decades when they were younger. So I wouldn't be too concerned with what a resume looks like at age 22, 23, 24. Its mostly a period of exploration anyway, and a blank sheet.

Edited by BRASSO

You've missed my point entirely.

As a music ed major...doing drum corps is often a HELP in landing you a job.

As a finance major...it made zero difference unless you argue the worth ethic / teamwork side of things which the average recruiter won't understand.

I'm not saying your points nit valid as drum corps would tend to help someone in the music field, but it's how u r using it. If you are using drum corps as a resume builder I think it misses the point all together. Drum Corps teaches preserverance and the ability to overcome extreme obsticals. If you can handle 110 heat marching at 200 Bpm while sick, a day to day job will pale in comparance. I think the value is the strengthened mental attitude u get and the knowledge that you've pushed yourself to the highest extent.

I would add that while drum corps helps a music ed resume I have seen "others" that have marched learn very little after that from "real" world music experience.

A couple things:

1. You do NOT need to warm up for 1 hr before working music or playing a gig.

2. You do NOT practice 15 hours a day on the same music in the real world.

3. Everything you learned in you "corps" is not the be all and end all of playing, breathing and interpretation.

The list goes on but you get the idea. Drum Corps is AWESOME, but it's not the Bible of Music Education or Performance.

My view, is that doing Drum Corps, or not doing Drum Corps, will ultimately have no long term negative effects on your success chances in your career. Whether one is successful or a failure... from a financial payout... is not determined by the time spent in Drum Corps. I can give you hundreds of cases where people reached the pinnacle of financial wealth and success and who did Drum Corps in their youth. ( a some that wound up broke and destitute in life that did Drum Corps too ). The ages from 22 to 75 give one losts of time to rejigger their life choices and career choices. Some don't blossom in their careers until the kids are grown and moved out. Many, if not most, people will have multiple careers in their lifetimes, some good, some not so good. Some will finally open up their own businesses, and wonder why the hell they worked for someone else's dream for a few decades when they were younger. So I wouldn't be too concerned with what a resume looks like at age 22, 23, 24. Its mostly a period of exploration anyway, and a blank sheet.

The thing is, he has a much better point when you consider the current job market. Many people dont realize just how bad the market is for current grads and those under 30 in general (reaches 2x the national average, more if you consider underemployment or workers not working in their field of study... and this doesnt even cover the massive increase in student debt that has occurred). Less jobs in general combined with experienced workers available for hire, existing employees being pushed for more productivity and more older workers delaying retirement means the pool of jobs for new and recent grads is extremely low. I'm 27 and have numerous friends who took a very long time to get jobs that were 'college degree' level. I still have some that had plenty of related experience through summer internships and whatnot and theyre still working retail jobs due to a lack of hiring.

I think in and of itself, the $3000 or whatever drum corps costs is worth it if you can afford it. However, as you approach the end of college the opportunity cost of other opportunities may dwarf that $3000.

Edited by AlexL
  • Like 1

I know drum corps helped me become a better teacher and musician! No matter how much my schooling helped mr get ready for a career, drum corps gave me even more. Fundamentals, mentoring, team work, work ethic, efficiency of time are just some of things I got that helped shape me. It's paid for itself and then some

Time Management skill development, working under pressure deadlines, phsyical fitness and endurance growth, pushing yourself to levels of accomplisments one never knew one had, working in team settings, showing independence in travels away from home, taking discipline, maturity and self esateem and self confidence enhancements, ability to quickly respond to disappointments, challenges, testing ( or revealing ) one's character, learning other cultures, customs, music compositions, learning about other socio economic strata in travels across the USA, learning new things along the way, making life long friendships, making career contacts in some cases, etc..... LOTS of good things here in doing Drum Corps. I agree its not cheap to do Drum Corps. But there isn't too many things in life that provide lots and lots of tangible and intangible benefits where the cost is cheap either, imo

• Like 4

Very worth it. A lot of it depends on what the kid is looking to get out of it.

I'd say they get a lot, and since we have thousands of kids still marching, it must be worth it