Phil's Spread Rankings

Is Blue Devils the only still undefeated corps?

Is Blue Devils the only still undefeated corps?

Yes... (unless we count those few that have not competed yet.)

They are the only undefeated Corps. They are also currently ranked 3rd in most polls.

The Cavaliers were ranked 1st in all polls last June at this time. I just thought I'd mention this for what its worth.

Edited by BRASSO

Once the season gets a little further on and corps have had a chance to mix up a bit (not only going against the same 4 or 5 competitors like they have so far) this poll will really start to reflect the true status of the field. Right now it's still working from a pretty limited data set.

This is always my favorite rankings list to watch every year, it tends to be really accurate. Thanks for all the work putting it together and updating it.

Once the season gets a little further on and corps have had a chance to mix up a bit (not only going against the same 4 or 5 competitors like they have so far) this poll will really start to reflect the true status of the field. Right now it's still working from a pretty limited data set.

True. Its not like our rankings factor in SOS ( Strength of Schedule) in these rankings like they do in College sports teams rankings. Thus a Corps that finished 2nd last season, has not finished as low as 3rd in any competition the last 15 competitions since last July, hasn't finished a season lower than 2nd in half a dozen years, and is currently the only undefeated Corps for this season, can nonetheless currently be ranked 3rd in our methodology. Its all for sheets and giggles here in June anyway, so there's no harm in it all, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

This is always my favorite rankings list to watch every year, it tends to be really accurate. Thanks for all the work putting it together and updating it.

Thanks, Glad you like it.

And Brasso - the only reason BD is ranked third is because 1. they've only faced the same corps so far, and since not all of those corps perofrmed last night their score is being held down due to those relative spreads. Once they start mixing it up against more different corps.

However, as far as we know they might get 3rd if they competed against the Crown/Cadets combo, but who knows. The only variable we have that ties them together is Phantom and based on those spreads it would look like BD would be .7 ahead of Cadets but since that spread is pretty old it's not really much of a factor right now.

Yes... (unless we count those few that have not competed yet.)

They are the only undefeated Corps. They are also currently ranked 3rd in most polls.

The Cavaliers were ranked 1st in all polls last June at this time. I just thought I'd mention this for what its worth.

Also, my rankings are really only a snapshot of current standings not a predictor of future outcomes.

and last year the Cavaliers were 1st through the first regional. Also My rankings last year through the results of the shows on the day before San Antonio had 10 of the top 12 in the correct spots (BD & Cadets were tied in 2nd, and Troopers were in 12 instead of Spirit). 12-14 were the right 3 corps just not in the right order, although my standings showed those 3 corps only .44 from 12th-14th which in this rankings is basically a toss up. I also had 15th -22nd in the correct order that they placed in San Antonio (Jersey Surf was not at the Show)

Thanks, Glad you like it.

And Brasso - the only reason BD is ranked third is because 1. they've only faced the same corps so far, and since not all of those corps perofrmed last night their score is being held down due to those relative spreads. Once they start mixing it up against more different corps.

However, as far as we know they might get 3rd if they competed against the Crown/Cadets combo, but who knows. The only variable we have that ties them together is Phantom and based on those spreads it would look like BD would be .7 ahead of Cadets but since that spread is pretty old it's not really much of a factor right now.

True.. its gets even dicier when some scores are with full panels, and other scores are with partial panels.

• Like 1

True.. its gets even dicier when some scores are with full panels, and other scores are with partial panels.

True

How realistic are the scores from the short panel?

Will Crown still be ahead of Cadets once the Percussion and Guard scores are added into the mix?

Will the gap between Bluecoats and Madison once the Percussion scores are added since that is a strong suit of Bluecoats?

Will Cavaliers be closer to Crown once Percussion and Guard are added in?

Lots of question marks still, but with what we have to work with so far I think these standings are fairly accurate of the main groupings

1-3 within a point

4&5 within .3

6-8 within .5

9-11 within 1.4

12 & 13 within .3

14-16 within .8

updated to reflect 6/27 scores

Kinda funny that Cadets had been scoring 0.3 beind Crown for several shows, and your spread was closing that gap to I think around 0.5 after 6/26 (I think?)...and then they score a little lower 6/27 without Crown, while increasing their gap with Cavies, and your algorithm slides Cadets backwards to be 0.89 behind Crown. Stats are funny things :tongue: