Phil's Spread Rankings

no problem blueparent! :smile:

you can't accurately compare scores from one competition to another (like, a 67 in CA on the same night as a 67 in VA don't mean the corps will be even when they meet head to head). The only way to see how the corps really stack up is to have them all in the same show, so some people have developed various methods to create an accurate picture, with varying degrees of success (lol)

no problem blueparent! :smile:

you can't accurately compare scores from one competition to another (like, a 67 in CA on the same night as a 67 in VA don't mean the corps will be even when they meet head to head). The only way to see how the corps really stack up is to have them all in the same show, so some people have developed various methods to create an accurate picture, with varying degrees of success (lol)

You can almost do it but not cross country. For example, I knew Phantom was going to be close to Devs when they had that 4 point spread over SCV and Devs only had a 3 point spread. I have a feeling it's going to be close between those two plus Cadets, Bluecoats and Crown

i think Phantom can win it all if they really want to. Frankly I thought they were much closer to BD at Stanford but BD the brass is usually the deal breaker. every other caption though I thought they did win.

• Like 1

The reason I started this system back in 1990 was because if you just look at a corps latest score there are two major issues.

1. You are comparing scores from different shows, different locations, and different dates.

2. If a corps doesn't perform for a couple days and all of their competition's scores go up then they would appear to be falling in the standings.

This system maintains a corps relative placement regardless of if they've had a show in a couple days or not. The assumption is that the spreads between them and the corps they have competed against will not change that dramatically from day to day and by using a calculation which takes into account all of the spreads against all of the corps each corps has competed against then these corps can be ranked where they are mostly to be when they have a show after a couple days of not competing.

It is all in good fun, but I have found that this system holds fairly accurate throughout the season as opposed to just looking at latest scores.

For some back history, I started this at a time when Bluecoats were consistently fighting for those last few spots in finals, and there were realistically 5-6 corps who could be anywhere from 10-15. This system was a way for me to see how they were stacking up against their competition and I've just kept doing it every year. A few years ago I decided to share the results with the DCP community.

So enjoy

• Like 2

updated for 6/25 show results

Thank you! It is GREATLY appreciated! :)

The reason I started this system back in 1990 was because if you just look at a corps latest score there are two major issues.

1. You are comparing scores from different shows, different locations, and different dates.

2. If a corps doesn't perform for a couple days and all of their competition's scores go up then they would appear to be falling in the standings.

This system maintains a corps relative placement regardless of if they've had a show in a couple days or not. The assumption is that the spreads between them and the corps they have competed against will not change that dramatically from day to day and by using a calculation which takes into account all of the spreads against all of the corps each corps has competed against then these corps can be ranked where they are mostly to be when they have a show after a couple days of not competing.

It is all in good fun, but I have found that this system holds fairly accurate throughout the season as opposed to just looking at latest scores.

For some back history, I started this at a time when Bluecoats were consistently fighting for those last few spots in finals, and there were realistically 5-6 corps who could be anywhere from 10-15. This system was a way for me to see how they were stacking up against their competition and I've just kept doing it every year. A few years ago I decided to share the results with the DCP community.

So enjoy

Edited by CloudFuel

I figure now is as good a time to start posting these.

I will update them after each days shows.

These are based on latest spreads between all corps competed against.

Through 6/25 shows

01……75.55……Crown

02……75.07……Cadets

03……74.75……Blue Devils

04……73.50……Bluecoats

05……73.30……Phantom

06……71.80……Madison

07……71.03……Cavaliers

08……71.01……Santa Clara

09……69.30……Spirit

10……68.75……Boston

11……66.92……Blue Stars

12……65.58……Glassmen

13……65.24……Blue Knights

14……63.38……Troopers

15……63.32……Crossmen

16……61.20……Colts

17……58.83……Academy

18……58.30……Pacific Crest

19……55.56……Mandarins

20……54.54……Pioneer

Still to Compete

Teal Sound

Cascades

Jersey Surf

This is cool!

updated to reflect 6/26 scores

I figure now is as good a time to start posting these.

I will update them after each days shows.

These are based on latest spreads between all corps competed against.

Through 6/26 shows

01……76.71……Crown

02……76.31……Cadets

03……75.76……Blue Devils

04……74.35……Phantom

05……74.08……Bluecoats

06……72.45……Cavaliers

07……72.31……Madison

08……71.99……Santa Clara

09……69.97……Boston

10……69.42……Spirit

11……68.53……Blue Stars

12……66.17……Blue Knights

13……65.82……Glassmen

14……64.43……Troopers

15……64.00……Crossmen

16……63.60……Colts

17……59.63……Academy

18……59.49……Pacific Crest

19……56.56……Mandarins

20……53.38……Pioneer

Still to Compete

Teal Sound

Cascades

Jersey Surf

Boston show last night 70.700. wrong score posted

Boston show last night 70.700. wrong score posted

That's because this system doesn't look at just one score but takes all scores, plugs them into a model, and spits out a ranking based on the formula.

• Like 1