What year will Finals not be in Indy?

When I comes to acoustics, I usually look for clarity, which is by far the defining characteristic of "good acoustics". Unless you're right on (inside the 40's), it's pointless to buy tickets. Whereas, in an outdoor stadium, that problem doesn't exist.

And maybe that's what I don't know about LOS. I've only ever played there and stood inside the 40. I guess it's like a sports venue at DCI Finals - you get what you pay for.

But I will say that Mile High/Invesco/Sports Authority field (whatever you want to call it now) would be an excellent venue to host DCI. Besides the altitude, the stadium is still the most spectacular stadium I've ever played in, and the way the sound wraps around the stadium and exits the stadium is gorgeous. Plus Colorado is the most beautiful state in the lower 48 (yes I'm biased), Denver has an excellent downtown area and nightlife, and Denver International Airport is a very central location for airports in America. The only few problems with hosting DCI Finals in Denver again would be:

1: Denver is a long drive/bus/train/plane ride for most people in the US, and 2: Denver hosts two professional sports teams during the summer - the Rapids (which is a MLS team), and the Outlaws (which is a major league lacrosse team).

Why doesn't DCI request that the roof be open for all of Championships week? I remember when DCI first announced the long term deal in Indy, they said in response to some protesting of the "indoor" aspect that they would make every effort to keep the roof open, only closing it when necessary due to inclement weather. Now, once the long term deal is in effect, the roof is never open for Championships (at least so far).

I always wondered what caused the difference. Anyone know?

Last year, I'd say the first issue was the HEAT.

DCI Minneapolis was awfully hot and humid and I dont think DCI wanted a repeat of that in Indy.

On Finals night (Saturday), I think we ALL remember the horrific storm that came through the middle of Indianapolis that ended up killing so many people at the State Fair at the same time our last few corps were performing.

The last few corps had to scurry inside and do their warmups inside while the storm did so much damage right outside the dome.

....guess we were lucky to have a domed area for safety that night.

Edited by rkfdPRphan
  • Like 2

Talk about Different Strokes.... I CANNOT STAND Allentown! I hated it as a performer too (wish they had turf back then...that elephant grass was awful)

I honestly haven't figured out why DCI East hasn't upgraded to a larger university venue but I guess there are the traditionalists out there. Maybe I'm an oddball here

since the rebuild and new turf, allentown's stadium is pretty nice. Still a little dark, but not as bad as before since they got the new lighting. Plus it's only a 3 hour drive for me, and I get to see all corps 1 week before finals for hardly any cost.

DCI Minneapolis was awfully hot and humid and I dont think DCI wanted a repeat of that in Indy.

On Finals night (Saturday), I think we ALL remember the horrific storm that came through the middle of Indianapolis that ended up killing so many people at the State Fair at the same time our last few corps were performing.

The last few corps had to scurry inside and do their warmups inside while the storm did so much damage right outside the dome.

Yeah...and I remember having to go through a bus parking lot of rain in my uniform to get to our area we had to set up in for retreat. We're not supposed to run in uniform so I jazz ran in uniform. :thumbup:

• Like 2

Why doesn't DCI request that the roof be open for all of Championships week? I remember when DCI first announced the long term deal in Indy, they said in response to some protesting of the "indoor" aspect that they would make every effort to keep the roof open, only closing it when necessary due to inclement weather. Now, once the long term deal is in effect, the roof is never open for Championships (at least so far).

I always wondered what caused the difference. Anyone know?

the roof is only part of the issue, and in fact, opening it may make it worse because of those huge windows at the end of the stadium....the sound will just ratlle up there.

But I will say that Mile High/Invesco/Sports Authority field (whatever you want to call it now) would be an excellent venue to host DCI. Besides the altitude, the stadium is still the most spectacular stadium I've ever played in, and the way the sound wraps around the stadium and exits the stadium is gorgeous. Plus Colorado is the most beautiful state in the lower 48 (yes I'm biased), Denver has an excellent downtown area and nightlife, and Denver International Airport is a very central location for airports in America. The only few problems with hosting DCI Finals in Denver again would be:

1: Denver is a long drive/bus/train/plane ride for most people in the US, and 2: Denver hosts two professional sports teams during the summer - the Rapids (which is a MLS team), and the Outlaws (which is a major league lacrosse team).

it's just that right now, half of the state is on fire

• Like 2

In 2010, the roof definitely wasn't open because of the heat. Indy had an incredibly hot and humid summer that year. LOS has to turn off most air conditioning whenever the roof is open. Last year was definitely the weather. Almost everyone in the stadium didn't even know how bad the storm was outside. The whole crowd almost had to be evacuated out of the stands.

Man I don't know about y'all but I think Lucas Oil Stadium is an awesome venue. It's so clear acoustically, and not to mention it's FUN to play in.

FALSE!!!....lol, I played in there every year from 2006 to 2010 for BOA and DCI championships and it sounded awful every time playing in there. Talk about reverb it was kinda a nightmare every time haha.

Indy is a nice city, it's the monotony of going there year after year that's starting to get to me. Prior to Indy, being in different places allowed a sense of adventure for me, even if we went back to some cities multiple times.

This is a big thing for me, and I would say for the kids, too. I always thought it was so cool to get a new patch representing a new Championships location, very much like the Super Bowl. Having those sorts of things on your jacket (or t-shirt) helped give street cred to even the uninformed--what you were wearing showed how much you traveled, and helped display that adventure quality of our beloved activity.

• Like 1