How Does DCI draw in a new fan base?

Am I the only one who doesn't want DCI to get any more popular? I went to 2 shows in Los Angeles last year where there were NO seats left- people were sitting in the back. What if you went to your first show and sat in the back? Part of what makes DCI special is that only a select few of us are into it. I know that sounds a bit odd, but...

I'll be honest , when I 1st read what you wrote I said..is this person nuts?..lol..BUT after reading it again I guess I kind of get what you are saying. Also the more we appeal to a much larger mass the more drum corps will have to change to accomonadate its viewer....this will be a for sure.....more people more likes or dislikes.....Much to some peoples surprise not all people ( especially new ) will come into the activity with the same needs or desires and heaven forbid have a different opinion on whats entertaining or not...

Not agreeing or disagreeing ...just understanding what youre saying

• Like 1

your last paragraph gives all the reasons why some of the things you want back or see again arent done anymore....corps most of the time have to feed members and hit the road before a retreat would take place...shows also used to be at night ( I remember they didnt start befroe 8pm at 1 time )...made everything sparkle, corps hated going on in daylight. BUT NOW , lights cost, stadiums cost, many shows are done by 9 or 9:30 ,,it all comes down to $$$$$$...If sponsors have to spend more noone will hold a show,,its not worth it financially.

1. Corps don't "have to" pack up and leave early they chose to.

2. How much does lighting cost? $100 per hour? $1000 per hour? Can someone give examples of lighting cost?

Yes it costs money to put on a show and provide lights and the ticket prices need to cover the cost and include a little profit to make the endeavor worthwhile. Those things are what they are. The problem is we don't offer enough entertainment for the price we charge. Things like trooping the stands and having a full retreat add value, yet we don't do them because we find them inconvenient. We have structured our activity to maximize rehearsal time so we can add tenths of points to our score. What if we rehearsed just a little less, spent some time in the communities we visit promoting the activity, and stuck around a bit after the show to engage the audience a bit more. I believe a small sacrifice of the pursuit of perfection would pay large dividends in the growing of the fan base.

Those who hold the position that we should do all we can to maximize performance I ask you this: Will the activity still exist if only an interested few will to pay to see it? Do you see any value in presenting a product that engages an average person?

• Like 1

2. How much does lighting cost? $100 per hour? $1000 per hour? Can someone give examples of lighting cost?

Yes it costs money to put on a show and provide lights and the ticket prices need to cover the cost and include a little profit to make the endeavor worthwhile. Those things are what they are. The problem is we don't offer enough entertainment for the price we charge. Things like trooping the stands and having a full retreat add value, yet we don't do them because we find them inconvenient. We have structured our activity to maximize rehearsal time so we can add tenths of points to our score. What if we rehearsed just a little less, spent some time in the communities we visit promoting the activity, and stuck around a bit after the show to engage the audience a bit more. I believe a small sacrifice of the pursuit of perfection would pay large dividends in the growing of the fan base.

Those who hold the position that we should do all we can to maximize performance I ask you this: Will the activity still exist if only an interested few will to pay to see it? Do you see any value in presenting a product that engages an average person?

personally I hated being in retreats and watching them BUT,some facilitities dont even have a light source. as far as corps leaving...yeah they do....corps go on, feed members leave for next location, usually get there 6 or 7am sleep on floor for maybe 2 hours, rehearse a few hours, eat, rehearsa another few hours , eat pack up , head to show and repeat again. I teach 2 corps and its no easy sched.

Sure I remember the days of a bigger pagentry and would love to see night shows, etc etc and even to stay and see all the corps BUT those days have been gone a while.

when retreats were almost at their end directors came to this conclusion because it wasnt like BITD where everyone hung around . It dwindled more and more and now with I phones, etc etc you can be in your car and beat the traffic or be at the diner or bar and get the info as it happens.

Sad ( a little ) but so is alot in the world its not just drum corps that has changed

I'll be honest , when I 1st read what you wrote I said..is this person nuts?..lol..BUT after reading it again I guess I kind of get what you are saying. Also the more we appeal to a much larger mass the more drum corps will have to change to accomonadate its viewer....this will be a for sure.....more people more likes or dislikes.....Much to some peoples surprise not all people ( especially new ) will come into the activity with the same needs or desires and heaven forbid have a different opinion on whats entertaining or not...

Not agreeing or disagreeing ...just understanding what youre saying

Yeah- I know it's a bit odd what I said. And I agree with you not agreeing or disagreeing :tongue:

As much as I want money not to be an issue at all for any corps- it's nice to know that if you get your tickets moderately early to any show, you will have a seat inside the 40's and it will never be sold out. There is an odd threshold with my view- I want HUGE crowds at shows, but I don't want it TOO big. I always have this anxiety about people who go to their first show and are sitting on the 5 or 10 yard line and saying; "What the hell is the big deal?"

Edited by Cavies92FTW

The TOC format seems to be an attempt to broaden the amount of entertainment at the show itself, and to bring the members closer to the audience in some cases.

Not if you're Sac State!:thumbdown::tongue:

personally I hated being in retreats and watching them BUT,some facilitities dont even have a light source. as far as corps leaving...yeah they do....corps go on, feed members leave for next location, usually get there 6 or 7am sleep on floor for maybe 2 hours, rehearse a few hours, eat, rehearsa another few hours , eat pack up , head to show and repeat again. I teach 2 corps and its no easy sched.

Sure I remember the days of a bigger pagentry and would love to see night shows, etc etc and even to stay and see all the corps BUT those days have been gone a while.

when retreats were almost at their end directors came to this conclusion because it wasnt like BITD where everyone hung around . It dwindled more and more and now with I phones, etc etc you can be in your car and beat the traffic or be at the diner or bar and get the info as it happens.

Sad ( a little ) but so is alot in the world its not just drum corps that has changed

Yes things changed, who is to say they can't change again? You listed off all the reasons why we are where we are. Almost sounds like you throw up your hands and say that nothing can be done. Lots of things can be done, we just have to chose to do them. Will it be the same as we have now? Nope, it won't. If we want more fans we must sacrifice other things in order to obtain them.

Yes things changed, who is to say they can't change again? You listed off all the reasons why we are where we are. Almost sounds like you throw up your hands and say that nothing can be done. Lots of things can be done, we just have to chose to do them. Will it be the same as we have now? Nope, it won't. If we want more fans we must sacrifice other things in order to obtain them.

I havent thrown up my hands saying nothing can be done Im saying I dont think theres anything wrong. I listed 1 reason why it was easy to get rid of retreats ( few people staying )

Yes things can change again IF corps want them to. I also answered you as to why corps do have to leave most of the time when you said its their choice..Sure it is their choice , I guess they can stay an extra hour or 2 and not have the members sleep a few hours before starting it all over again just to travel to another city to perform to those hopefully who can appreciate them no matter what the format is.....sorry If I seem defensive, its hard not to when I travel with these kids at least a month and a half to 2 months every summer and see the hours and work thats put into doing this.. You can also say YES there is something wrong, look at attendence compared to back in the day...Well its not BITD its 2012 and the world, its wants, needs are all different...thats an old argument.

Edited by GUARDLING

I havent thrown up my hands saying nothing can be done Im saying I dont think theres anything wrong. I listed 1 reason why it was easy to get rid of retreats ( few people staying )

Yes things can change again IF corps want them to. I also answered you as to why corps do have to leave most of the time when you said its their choice..Sire it is their choice , I guess they can stay an extra hour or 2 and not have the members sleep a few hours before starting it all over again just to travel to another city to perform to those hopefully who can appreciate them no matter what the format is.....sorry If I seem defensive, its hard not to when I travel with these kids at least a month and a half to 2 months every summer and see the hours and work thats put into doing this.. You can also say YES there is something wrong, look at attendence compared to back in the day...Well its not BITD its 2012 and the world, its wants, needs are all different...thats an old argument.

Well if you think nothing is wrong then full steam ahead with our current system. While it has been several years I too was a member and a low level instructor/volunteer for a few corps so I know what it takes to get them on the road. I did not intend to make you defensive and I thank you for doing what you do.

My point was pretty much as you stated except I would not sacrifice member sleep I would sacrifice rehearsal time. Don't want to do a retreat? Fine, how about trooping the stands? What if some in the hornline and/or drum line went in to the stands and played bit while the next corps got setup on the field? How about instead of retreat there is a very quick announcement of scores and a 1 hour mandatory meet and greet out in the parking lot after the show. During that hour the members could still eat, pack, change, etc. There are more than enough members to rotate them in and out from interacting with fans. How about at lunch time go out to the town center arc up and throw down to generate some interest? The idea is to spend more time in front of an audience and attract more people to become paying customers.

Whether 2012 or BITD people still want to be entertained and if anything more money is spent on entertainment now than BITD. There is a lot more competition for that entertainment dollar yet we don't seem to make choices to go after that dollar. Making those choices has a cost and we must be willing to pay that cost if you believe like I do that change is needed.

Side rant: Why does it take so long to announce scores at the end of a show? At the most it should take 5 minutes. The score of the last corps can be entered and the final results known almost instantly. The drum majors for all but the last group should be lined up before the final note of the last performance. Last group leaves the field, last drum major is joined by the others and away we go.