DCP Echoing an Emotion of Negativity

Over the past few weeks, there have been certain topics and comments posted on these forums that reflect a huge sense of disappointment and negativity. Here are some of the topics that have been started:

2012 Shaping Up to be a disappointing season?

How does DCI draw in a new fan base? (hinting that the current system isn't working)

Is it really worth it?

Now before you go jump my case right off the bat, I understand people will complain and find something wrong with everything that goes on with this world. But, the posts lately have really been alarming to me.

I've seen statements such as: "This activity is on a downward spiral," and "It really isn't worth it." Maybe these statements are true, I'm not saying they are or aren't, but they sure don't look good on a website promoting the activity. I'm not trying to be the moderator of this thing nor do I want to be, because in the end, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

But in the end, I find myself as a 20 year old looking to march next summer, do I really want to be a part of drum corps next summer after seeing these posts?

• Like 7

Over the past few weeks, there have been certain topics and comments posted on these forums that reflect a huge sense of disappointment and negativity. Here are some of the topics that have been started:

How does DCI draw in a new fan base? (hinting that the current system isn't working)

Is it really worth it?

Now before you go jump my case right off the bat, I understand people will complain and find something wrong with everything that goes on with this world. But, the posts lately have really been alarming to me.

I've seen statements such as: "This activity is on a downward spiral," and "It really isn't worth it." Maybe these statements are true, I'm not saying they are or aren't, but they sure don't look good on a website promoting the activity. I'm not trying to be the moderator of this thing nor do I want to be, because in the end, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

But in the end, I find myself as a 20 year old looking to march next summer, do I really want to be a part of drum corps next summer after seeing these posts?

yes

/thread

• Like 6

Negativity on DCP? That never happens..... :ph34r:

It's a forum with many different opinions, my young friend. Ignore opinions and go march. If you are 20, time is running out for you to experience the touring side of this thing.

Yes, many of us crab and moan over this or that, but we're on DCP because we love the activity, warts and all. I'm here and I'm 57. Started marching when I Was 13. Do the math and you'll find it's something pretty wonderful to hold my passion for so long.

Even if I do hate amps..... :tongue:

Edited by Grandpa
  • Like 3

Is it really worth it?

you will learn that 1st DCP is only a fraction of the drum corps population and doesnt reflect the marjority of the community. Also Im sure you can go on Facebook etc etc and find just as much negativity. We have become a society of entitled people who honestly believe that people really care about ones every move and opinion. It also allowed many who even within our activity would never have had a voice have one now ( thats good and Bad )You will also learn IF you march most, if not all WC directors discourage any posting on DCP or many social networks. Ive seen many members over the past few years sent home, some right before championships, due to personal postings and airing laundry. Now you can take that advice or not But I do teach 2 WC corps so I do have 1st hand knowledge on this. There will always be the negativity unfortunately and it exsists in every art form or sports a. No matter what a corps does or dont do, play or dont play, change or not change there will always be those who think they have a better way to do things.I have personal friend who is always on facebook and hes a great friend BUT slams everthing about every subject BUT confront that same person face to face and they have nothing to say..lol Welcome to the real world....the good and bad of it.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

There have always been complaints about DCI, its direction and directors, and the corps that are performing. The amount of negativity you see on here is a byproduct of the age of technology. Everyone has a faster, eaiser way of communicating their good and bad of any subject.

I would certainly NOT take anything from a post or topic on this forum as a variable you use when you decide to march. You should do it for your own reasons of course. And I bet, when you ask anyone on here, even those who have started or posted negativity on DCP, they would probably all say march!

Good luck and I hope to see and hear you on the field next year!!

• Like 1

Is it really worth it?

If the uninformed ideas of others cause you to take pause, then you probably shouldn't be involved in drum corps.

EDIT: Changed "uniformed" to "uninformed." h/t to Mr Boo.

Edited by Bruckner8
  • Like 1

I don't know - do you? - Sorry just had to! :cool:

Seriously though. I wouldn't let anything you read on DCP alter your choice of whether or not to march. I played in my high school and college snare lines and majored in music in college but never marched in a drum corps. If I had really wanted to I could have pulled it off financially but I chose the "safe" route and worked every summer. It's one of the biggest regrets of my life - mostly after seeing the great changes my kid went through when she did march. I say read DCP for info - maybe even for fun but make your own decisions. If you enjoy drum corps half as much as I always have - and if you have the means and the talent - you will be very sorry if you choose not to follow that dream.

• Like 2

Take one thing into consideration, the most negative topics have been started by people new to DCP.

For whatever reason, this year we have drawn in a lot of people who feel they need to be highly critical and extremely negative.

Its not like responding to a newspaper article, one line and out, no, we seem to be drawing people who feel the need to take the time to sign up for a login screen name and then blast away.

WHY!!!!!

Maybe the other drum corps related sites have thrown these people out - so they are coming here?

I WOULD NOT ALLOW THESE PEOPLE WITH 20 OR LESS POSTS TO DECIDE FOR YOU WHETHER MARCHING IS WORTH IT OR NOT.

I work with a corps and I see a TON of very happy drum corps people (marchers/staff/volunteers). Drum Corps is alive and well. It is NOT going anywhere for a few years. AND YOU SHOULD GIVE IT A TRY!!!!!

• Like 2