DCP Echoing an Emotion of Negativity

you will learn that 1st DCP is only a fraction of the drum corps population and doesnt reflect the marjority of the community. Also Im sure you can go on Facebook etc etc and find just as much negativity. We have become a society of entitled people who honestly believe that people really care about ones every move and opinion. It also allowed many who even within our activity would never have had a voice have one now ( thats good and Bad )You will also learn IF you march most, if not all WC directors discourage any posting on DCP or many social networks. Ive seen many members over the past few years sent home, some right before championships, due to personal postings and airing laundry. Now you can take that advice or not But I do teach 2 WC corps so I do have 1st hand knowledge on this. There will always be the negativity unfortunately and it exsists in every art form or sports a. No matter what a corps does or dont do, play or dont play, change or not change there will always be those who think they have a better way to do things.I have personal friend who is always on facebook and hes a great friend BUT slams everthing about every subject BUT confront that same person face to face and they have nothing to say..lol Welcome to the real world....the good and bad of it.

I'm calling shenanigans on this, sorry. I honestly doubt that has ever happened, especially right before finals.

Even if it has, I doubt it's "many". Maybe one?

• Like 2

I'm calling shenanigans on this, sorry. I honestly doubt that has ever happened, especially right before finals.

Even if it has, I doubt it's "many". Maybe one?

well it has , I personally know of 3 people sent home ...1 in a corps I taught 3 weeks before finals..whenit happened I was told by another friend who teaches somewhere other than where I do that they sent someone home also about 2 or 3 weeks before.

Believe it or not.

But just a tad curious why you would think it wouldnt happen? The internet is great but also damaging some individuals who dont have a filter on what should or shouldnt be out there

Edited by GUARDLING

Time doesn't run out if you want to march with SCV, see 1989, I heard you can be like 25 to march with them.

That's really an unfair thing to say about SCV.

For the record, those two members from England forged their birth certificates and altered their passports. It could have happened to any corps. As soon as SCV learned of this (just before Finals), they were cut and sent home. I've wondered what kind of trouble they got into with immigration on either side of the pond.

• Like 3

So DCP breeds a culture of negativity? Ever heard of RAMD? If you try to read some of the archived posts, you'll feel compelled to take a six-day shower.

That said: it's the internet. People post billions of opinions (mostly wrong) every day. And if you get worked up over what somebody said in a moderated discussion forum, I'd like to see how you'd fare against staff members chewing you out for performance issues.

Ahhhhhh...the "RAMD" word. :rock: Ten yard penalty and a five-minute time out to cleanse all our memories with mind bleach.

• Like 1

Amen Michael.... There is no way to have known that a birth certificate was not legit. It's very unfair and also dangerous to make accusations about that sort of matter without knowing the facts!!

• Like 1

Over the past few weeks, there have been certain topics and comments posted on these forums that reflect a huge sense of disappointment and negativity. Here are some of the topics that have been started:

2012 Shaping Up to be a disappointing season?

How does DCI draw in a new fan base? (hinting that the current system isn't working)

Is it really worth it?

Now before you go jump my case right off the bat, I understand people will complain and find something wrong with everything that goes on with this world. But, the posts lately have really been alarming to me.

I've seen statements such as: "This activity is on a downward spiral," and "It really isn't worth it." Maybe these statements are true, I'm not saying they are or aren't, but they sure don't look good on a website promoting the activity. I'm not trying to be the moderator of this thing nor do I want to be, because in the end, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

But in the end, I find myself as a 20 year old looking to march next summer, do I really want to be a part of drum corps next summer after seeing these posts?

2 things....People are going to say what they are going to say. And I actually encourage honest assessment and diverse opinions of drum corps. I think its unfortunate that a negative post gets loads of negative votes. Nothing good comes from Pollyanna everything is just hunky-dory type attitudes. Just watch how much Lee Corso criticizes different college football teams. I don't see that going anywhere anytime soon. People talk trash about popular things all the time. In fact, the more popular a thing is the more trash talking there is. What I'm suggesting is that the free flowing of ideas however negative may actually be a sign of health.

Also, I would suggest to trust your own instincts. What do YOU think about drum corps? I can tell you that it changed my life; that every aspect of my current life is in some way touched by my experience in drum corps. I have developed friendships that will last a lifetime. And, when I marched they were talking about the "coming end of drum corps as well." That was almost 20 years ago. So the "sky is falling" has been around a while. (sheesh I'm getting old!) I would encourage you to check it out and come to a camp at least. I know many that really regret not marching before they age-out. Probably more of those types than people that actually marched. Try to have stronger emotional boundaries. Don't let another's opinion affect yours.

Over the past few weeks, there have been certain topics and comments posted on these forums that reflect a huge sense of disappointment and negativity. Here are some of the topics that have been started:

2012 Shaping Up to be a disappointing season?

How does DCI draw in a new fan base? (hinting that the current system isn't working)

Is it really worth it?

Now before you go jump my case right off the bat, I understand people will complain and find something wrong with everything that goes on with this world. But, the posts lately have really been alarming to me.

I've seen statements such as: "This activity is on a downward spiral," and "It really isn't worth it." Maybe these statements are true, I'm not saying they are or aren't, but they sure don't look good on a website promoting the activity. I'm not trying to be the moderator of this thing nor do I want to be, because in the end, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

But in the end, I find myself as a 20 year old looking to march next summer, do I really want to be a part of drum corps next summer after seeing these posts?

2 things....People are going to say what they are going to say. And I actually encourage honest assessment and diverse opinions of drum corps. I think its unfortunate that a negative post gets loads of negative votes. Nothing good comes from Pollyanna everything is just hunky-dory type attitudes. Just watch how much Lee Corso criticizes different college football teams. I don't see that going anywhere anytime soon. People talk trash about popular things all the time. In fact, the more popular a thing is the more trash talking there is. What I'm suggesting is that the free flowing of ideas however negative may actually be a sign of health.

Also, I would suggest to trust your own instincts. What do YOU think about drum corps? I can tell you that it changed my life; that every aspect of my current life is in some way touched by my experience in drum corps. I have developed friendships that will last a lifetime. And, when I marched they were talking about the "coming end of drum corps as well." That was almost 20 years ago. So the "sky is falling" has been around a while. (sheesh I'm getting old!) I would encourage you to check it out and come to a camp at least. I know many that really regret not marching before they age-out. Probably more of those types than people that actually marched. Try to have stronger emotional boundaries. Don't let another's opinion affect yours.

well it has , I personally know of 3 people sent home ...1 in a corps I taught 3 weeks before finals..whenit happened I was told by another friend who teaches somewhere other than where I do that they sent someone home also about 2 or 3 weeks before.

Believe it or not.

But just a tad curious why you would think it wouldnt happen? The internet is great but also damaging some individuals who dont have a filter on what should or shouldnt be out there

You are claiming these incidents happened mid-season. What did the person in your corps post that got him sent home?

And what should or shouldn't be out here? It's drum corps. Not a classified branch of the US government.

• Like 3

You are claiming these incidents happened mid-season. What did the person in your corps post that got him sent home?

And what should or shouldn't be out here? It's drum corps. Not a classified branch of the US government.

it happens alot...havent you heard of people not getting jobs, losing jobs etc etc over postings on facebook?..it happens alot. I can tell you one kid was moaning about rehearsals, other members, staff, and they were warned several times until enough was enough. I have a friend who teaches a winter program in OHIO who sent someone home to another state when members were told specifically NOT to post about the group and they did....

I personally wouldnt hire a staff person for some bands ( very talented ) because this person has a rep of posting things they dont have any business doing...like about other staffs, groups etc etc...remember just like BITD if you wear your corps jacket you are representing your corps and the internet is no different today

Edited by GUARDLING