DCP Echoing an Emotion of Negativity

it happens alot...havent you heard of people not getting jobs, losing jobs etc etc over postings on facebook?..it happens alot. I can tell you one kid was moaning about rehearsals, other members, staff, and they were warned several times until enough was enough. I have a friend who teaches a winter program in OHIO who sent someone home to another state when members were told specifically NOT to post about the group and they did....

I personally wouldnt hire a staff person for some bands ( very talented ) because this person has a rep of posting things they dont have any business doing...like about other staffs, groups etc etc...remember just like BITD if you wear your corps jacket you are representing your corps and the internet is no different today

I certainly have heard of people losing their jobs. I haven't heard of anyone losing their spot in a corps.

If these incidents are true, are these organizations writing something in their contracts stating that posting on social media is grounds for removal from the corps?

I certainly have heard of people losing their jobs. I haven't heard of anyone losing their spot in a corps.

If these incidents are true, are these organizations writing something in their contracts stating that posting on social media is grounds for removal from the corps?

That Im not really sure about. I do know of one corps that does and I do know a winter program that has had so many issues with this they have in on the 1st page of their contract. The ones I know of personally, the people had been warned to stop and why ,only to go on line that smae night and in a very cute, beat around the bush way did it again. Man was that a scene, literally pulling the kid from a rehearsal in the middle of God knows where, making them go and pack and driving off to the airport. I remember telling the kids around their spot.......ok i think we better close that spot now. Its sad but I guess so are lifes lessons.......It really is an issue with corps and winter programs..that and the entitlement of " I wanna march and I should , if I have to money or not " WHEW!!!! but thats another story..lol

Negativity?

So what. Build a bridge and get over it. Or float over it. Whatever way is best.

Not all of the world is shiny happy people.

Haha, trust me, I'm busy. Working two jobs and interning for a minor league baseball team (not to mention traveling an hour to every home game)

That's another reason why you should march. Kids in drum corps are usually very motivated.

Negativity on DCP? That never happens..... :ph34r:

Negativity on the internet? Inconceivable!!!

Negativity?

So what. Build a bridge and get over it. Or float over it. Whatever way is best.

Not all of the world is shiny happy people.

I don't think that's what the OP was asking for...

Over the past few weeks, there have been certain topics and comments posted on these forums that reflect a huge sense of disappointment and negativity ... How does DCI draw in a new fan base? (hinting that the current system isn't working).

The decades-long death-spiral of D&BC began in the early 1970s when its somewhat-flawed but working national structure was usurped by what I call the artistes within the activity. They professed an elitist policy from the start designed to favor themselves and those who they'd privately already determined would fit into their Brave New World ... which began to deconstruct almost immediately.

Of the 500-to-900 corps then active (estimates vary), within eight years the number was halved, then halved again in three years. The new national leadership responded by making it even more difficult and expensive to compete, and even more elitist by deeming the rookie kids who made up the lifeblood of D&BC irrelevant so that

"D&BC" (they kept the name) now sought only experienced (read "monied") talent.

And to cap off their victory (I struggled hard to avoid using quotes around that word) the new leadership has always dismissed the half-century pre-DCI history and its participants as though it and they were from some unenlightened Dark Age.

And that mindset is totally unlike every other competitive activity, each of which celebrates its past.

I've seen statements such as: "This activity is on a downward spiral," and "It really isn't worth it." Maybe these statements are true, I'm not saying they are or aren't, but they sure don't look good on a website promoting the activity.

Actually, this website discusses the activity, whether promotional, critical or noncommittal.

I find myself as a 20 year old looking to march next summer, do I really want to be a part of drum corps next summer after seeing these posts?

Only you can balance the determining factors on that.

DCP has always been negative. Every rule change is going to kill drum corps and whenever a corps who has never won a championship continues not winning championships, it's some judge conspiracy.

HOWEVER, this negativity is just the human condition. When something only slightly good happens, not a lot of people will bring it up (when did you last hear something "Corps X has a decent guard!"?). But if they're only slightly bad, you'll see a huge thread about it.

• Like 1

Oh No. Who brought this thread back from the dead? :blink:

But in the end, I find myself as a 20 year old looking to march next summer, do I really want to be a part of drum corps next summer after seeing these posts?

My guess is that..... as you pour yourself into that tour bus seat next year at 11PM, following a great performance... exhausted, sweaty, laughing and playing grab ### with your fellow MM's...that you won't give a rat's road rash about what this bunch on DCP thinks. More importantly....you'll be sleeping and not surfing DCP....and in that case, ignorance will be bliss! Just do it...and have a great time next year!