July Prediction Thread

So Jim Mason can just show up at any corps and they have a guaranteed 5th or above placement?

Who said that? The poster predicted an 8th place finish (which could very well happen), but adds "The Scouts start out well but falter when they realize they can't clean their show".

Then they go on to admit that they haven't even seen the show and that they are just basing it on "past experience". Kind of an asinine comment. That was what I took issue with, especially when they aren't even trying to have an informed opinion.

Other than that, I couldn't care less if everyone predicted the Scouts out of finals this year.

• Like 3

You're telling me past experience isn't information?

Uh...no. That's only part of what I said. It's "information", yes. What it is not is RELEVANT information to 2012. Especially when you look at the make up. Think about this. Madison's weakest caption was percussion. Not even in the top 12 in percussion last year. This year, complete turn around in staff straight out of Carolina Crown. Complete overhaul and already scoring in the 14s along with the big dogs. That one caption ALONE makes last year of no relevance to what happens this year. Visual, though not as weak as percussion last year, also a brand new staff straight out of Crown's roster and a complete overhaul. With those changes alone, you can't....CAN NOT...use last year as a reference to how they will be this year.

What's better: Kniwledge of how a corps is run and operates and accounting for improvements, or non-regional shows with an incomplete set of judges?

Oh that's easy to answer. Without hesitation, I'll take this year without a complete panel...or NO panel...as a valid relevant reference to how Madison (or ANY corps) will be over what happened last year. Reasons why? All in my above paragraph. Last year is IRRELEVANT to 2012. PERIOD! That's a FACT!

• Like 2

Uh...no. That's only part of what I said. It's "information", yes. What it is not is RELEVANT information to 2012. Especially when you look at the make up. Think about this. Madison's weakest caption was percussion. Not even in the top 12 in percussion last year. This year, complete turn around in staff straight out of Carolina Crown. Complete overhaul and already scoring in the 14s along with the big dogs. That one caption ALONE makes last year of no relevance to what happens this year. Visual, though not as weak as percussion last year, also a brand new staff straight out of Crown's roster and a complete overhaul. With those changes alone, you can't....CAN NOT...use last year as a reference to how they will be this year.

Oh that's easy to answer. Without hesitation, I'll take this year without a complete panel...or NO panel...as a valid relevant reference to how Madison (or ANY corps) will be over what happened last year. Reasons why? All in my above paragraph. Last year is IRRELEVANT to 2012. PERIOD! That's a FACT!

You just provided the foundation for your opinion...that is great. But...this thread is for people to give their own predictions, based on whatever they wish...heck, maybe they use the Magic 8-ball. It is just not worth getting hot and bothered over someone elses POV. :smile:

• Like 3

go read that 2012 vs 2011 threas.

Just read it. You know what it proves? It proves MY point. Madison actually started further down THIS year and is moving UP! Where last year they started strong and moved down. If last year is SOOOOO important to you, go look at last year's ranking trends compared to this year. Just look at it. Last year, they started near the big dogs until finally they pulled away while others like Boston and Blue Knights moved closer and eventually beat them. This year, the complete opposite is happening (at least so far). They started much further away from big dogs such as the Bluecoats while other corps like Spirit started right on their tail. Now, they pulling away from corps like Spirit, beat Cavies twice while increasing the spread (which is MIRACULOUS given the Cavalier's reputation and stature...regardless of whether it's a weak year for them or not). In addition, show by show they are edging closer to Bluecoats and caption beating them on a regular basis. The most important being G.E.

You can try to spin this year as being "same ole $^&*... strong start but set up to peak early and get caught"...but it's simply not true. The opposite is happening. Now, who knows? Maybe it will happen. Maybe they will lose steam. I don't know. I have no ability to know what will happen in the comming weeks. Howver, as of right here and now, with the information and statistics we now have, Madison has started slower (more in the middle of the pack) and is gradually gaining strength. Their scenario is more comparable to Boston's movement from last year than their own 2011 movement.

Edited by stevedb1975
  • Like 2

You just provided the foundation for your opinion...that is great. But...this thread is for people to give their own predictions, based on whatever they wish...heck, maybe they use the Magic 8-ball. It is just not worth getting hot and bothered over someone elses POV. :smile:

Yeah Mike, I know your stance on "opinions" and respect it. Even though, I don't exactly agree. I think people should be a little responsible and less reckless with their opinions. Provide some VALID information to support your view. To admit that you have never seen a show and give an opinion on it has no value and is completely worthless. See the show. Examine the stats and then form your opinion. Otherwise, I don't consider any of it credible and frankly... consider it annoying.

I appreciate your very settling and calming interjection though. :smile:

Edited by stevedb1975
  • Like 2

your_opinion.jpeg

It's still a little early to be making predictions, but I'll join in the fun and give it a shot...

1. Blue Devils

2. Bluecoats

3. Madison Scouts

4. Cavaliers

5. Blue Knights

6. Carolina Crown

7. Spirit Of Atlanta

8. Phantom Regiment

9. Cadets

10. Blue Stars

11. Santa Clara Vanguard

12. Blue Devils B

13. Jersey Surf

14. Boston Crusaders (craiga will blow a gasket)

15. Mandarins

16. Cascades

17. Crossmen

18. Pacific Crest.

19. Troopers

20. Cascades

21. Pioneer

22. 7th Regiment

23. Colts

24. Velvet Knights

25. Genesis

Ok, now check this out. As utterly ridiculous my above post looks, just watch. Bet me that there won't be AT LEAST two of these that will be spot on come August 12th. When that happens, I will return to this post on August 13th to prove a legitimate point about "predictions". And if none of them are spot on and I eat those words, I will still be able to make my point. Stay tuned. This will get fun. :thumbup: