Can you lose your World Class Status?

Half-full of Red Label scotch!

If I put myself in the shoes of the two factions, it seems rational to me that a class-less drum corps activity solves a lot of the issues brought up. But, of course, I can see that OC corps won't like it much.

Well, there's always the DCA model. Open is for the big corps, Class A is for the small corps, but they all compete on the same sheets and against each other until championships. It's not until Prelims that Class A corps compete only against them selves for three finalist spots. DCI could do something similar, eliminating the "open class tour" and having the Open corps stay on the main tour. Maybe have a Open show at regional earlier in the day/days?

Can you remain in the G7 (8?) if you haven't finished in the top 7 in a couple years?

Can you say your corps is from La Crosse/Rockford/pick a town, if no member of your corps is actually from there?

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 1

Thank you Hockey dad, you have a great idea, but then you edited it out. Too bad. Something about holding on to moonbeams.

We should have a Moonbeam class. It would be a class that anyone could join. All you have to do is dream. It would be a class where everyone wins all the time. It doesn’t matter if you are financially sound or dead broke. The only thing that matters is that the kids get a great moonbeam experience. Rejection is not a part of the moonbeam platform. We take everyone and never say no, except when it comes to judging. Moonbeam Corps International does not judge their corps performances. Everyone receives a perfect score, because all our moonbeam members are perfect little angels.The fans of Moonbeam corps will love all the corps equally and have no favorites. They will enjoy every show concept and never express disappointment. Moonbeam fan will not care what the ticket prizes will be, cause they know that it goes towards providing the groups to catch a hold of their own moonbeam.

Edited by argonaut
  • Like 1

Thank you Hockey dad, you have a great idea, but then you edited it out. Too bad. Something about holding on to moonbeams.

We should have a Moonbeam class. It would be a class that anyone could join. All you have to do is dream. It would be a class where everyone wins all the time. It doesn’t matter if you are financially sound or dead broke. The only thing that matters is that the kids get a great moonbeam experience. Rejection is not a part of the moonbeam platform. We take everyone and never say no, except when it comes to judging. Moonbeam Corps International does not judge their corps performances. Everyone receives a perfect score, because all our moonbeam members are perfect little angels.The fans of Moonbeam corps will love all the corps equally and have no favorites. They will enjoy every show concept and never express disappointment. Moonbeam fan will not care what the ticket prizes will be, cause they know that it goes towards pervading the groups to catch ahold of their own moonbeam.

Wow you're fast. Yup I edited it out - I was already drifting off topic, I stopped myself from taking it further....

When's the last time a world class corps folded mid-season? (I know there have been issues, I'm asking for specific data)

Memphis Blues Brass Band 1983... Barely had enough money to pay for the gas to get corps members back to Memphis.

Suncoast Sound 1989 ... They managed to finish the season but with starving members and last minute donations to help get the corps back to home base.

I know these seem like ancient history.... but you didn't specify a time period.

Memphis Blues Brass Band 1983... Barely had enough money to pay for the gas to get corps members back to Memphis.

Suncoast Sound 1989 ... They managed to finish the season but with starving members and last minute donations to help get the corps back to home base.

I know these seem like ancient history.... but you didn't specify a time period.

Right, but neither of them folded mid-season (though Suncoast later would as a Division 2 corps).

Right, but neither of them folded mid-season (though Suncoast later would as a Division 2 corps).

Memphis Blues did. I was a member when it happened. A measure in the Tennessee legislature that would have allowed California style bingo failed and the corps was only able to complete in a few of it's scheduled shows. Ironically with the way competition moneys were dispensed back then the corps would have had a higher percentage of money derived from shows had it finished in 17th place instead of 19th the previous year. The was of course with a different payment structure than exist today. IMO the system in place today is even worse than it was then making it even harder for a corps to get into the top 12.

My point is that if a corps is struggling financially it should be able to move back to open class until it is able to get the money situation remedied instead of just folding completely out of existence.

Edited by musclebud

I have an idea that can solve Cascades number problems for now. Remember, Spokane Thunder didn't field a corps a couple of years ago and it's members marched that summer with Cascades, maybe half their corps can march the rest of this summer with Cascades since Thunder's tour ends tonight in Ogden Utah. This would solve the number issues, hopefully, the execution by late July would be there for Cascades. Just an idea.