Can you lose your World Class Status?

Cap Regiment, Magic, maybe others that came close that we don't know about?

IMO this is nothing to mess around with. Nobody wants the risk, liability or bad press that comes from cutting corners when you have 100 kids 1000 miles from home. If you can't 100% fund the tour with a very generous financial buffer, then you do not belong on the tour. DCI would be 100% justified to perform periodic financial audits on its members to ensure that they are able to support their touring commitments.

I don't recall either of those corps folding while on the road. Again, I'm all for financial oversight (been trumpeting that cause for years). But it's got to apply to every corps in World Class, no exceptions.

• Like 1

I don't recall either of those corps folding while on the road. Again, I'm all for financial oversight (been trumpeting that cause for years). But it's got to apply to every corps in World Class, no exceptions.

I'm not privy to insider details, but the publicly-released info on Cap Regiment made it seem pretty bad: DCI had to parachute in a tour director to get them down the road, several corps had to step up to feed/house them, there were medical issues with some of the members, etc.

The point is not to air dirty laundry, just to say that it would be very bad for DCI, the activity and the other corps if a group really did implode mid-summer. I'm with you on "should apply to all" - if anything, the fallout would be worse if a more established corps failed mid-tour.

Edited by ShortAndFast

Is it possible for a corps to lose its World Class status? The Cascades are obviously struggling this year, with a very small corps, and haven’t recovered from there inactivity a couple of years ago. They have even taken a step backwards from last year. If performance level and size are meaningless to your corps status as a World Class corps than the status is meaningless. Does a World Class corps get higher performance fees? If World Class corps get higher performance fees and are not delivering a world class performance, why should they get more? It is also must be discouraging for corps members to have their corps come in last every show with no one to compete with in their class. If they were in the class they deserve, they would be able to compare themselves to others in the relatively same level. Is it fair to have a corps that is only World Class by name to perform after an Open Class corps that is twice the size and performing at a much higher level? I know that a corps can struggle from time to time, but if they are truly World Class, they will still perform at that level. Are they World Class for life, or is there a standard for them to maintain?

The Cascades will regroup, clean up there show and emerge in the top 12 by finals. Don't count them out because of one show.

• Like 1

The Cascades will regroup, clean up there show and emerge in the top 12 by finals. Don't count them out because of one show.

futuramafry.jpg

• Like 2

The irony to me is that some world class corps are actually placing lower than they did as open class corps.

Look at that, a Cascades homer. I've never seen that before. You may be more then a bit over-optimistic though. If they can re-group and clean, they have a shot at the Top 25, not the Top 12. Hate to burst your bubble, but to have a shot at Finals, they need probably 70 more people and a new show

Really? I'm getting down voted for actually being honest? Does a anyone really think cascades have a shot at Finals? Seriously?

Edited by fsubone
  • Like 4

Is it possible for a corps to lose its World Class status? The Cascades are obviously struggling this year, with a very small corps, and haven’t recovered from there inactivity a couple of years ago. They have even taken a step backwards from last year. If performance level and size are meaningless to your corps status as a World Class corps than the status is meaningless. Does a World Class corps get higher performance fees? If World Class corps get higher performance fees and are not delivering a world class performance, why should they get more? It is also must be discouraging for corps members to have their corps come in last every show with no one to compete with in their class. If they were in the class they deserve, they would be able to compare themselves to others in the relatively same level. Is it fair to have a corps that is only World Class by name to perform after an Open Class corps that is twice the size and performing at a much higher level? I know that a corps can struggle from time to time, but if they are truly World Class, they will still perform at that level. Are they World Class for life, or is there a standard for them to maintain?

Back in the 80's Boston had what less than 50 + people and still manage to stay in the WC.

The irony to me is that some world class corps are actually placing lower than they did as open class corps.

All of them are? Jersey Surf placed 3rd in 2008, Teal was 5th, so they would have to be making TOC to do better in World Class than they did in Open Class. And Mandarins won Div.2 multiple times, same with Pioneer, and Academy and Cascades.

I think the only corps that has almost equaled their success would be Crown, since they did well in Div.2 and 3 before moving up to Div. 1

that's the key...EVERY corps. I'm pretty sure a few at the top would #### their pants if they had to be reviewed again

• Like 2