The challenges of music licensing, and...

Great topic, Boo, thanks for the inside info.

But now I need you, with all the unofficial powers vested in you by nobody at DCI, to appoint me the Madison Scout honorary Director for a day. I promise you, I can resolve this.

I would gather my Madison Scout Drum and Bugle Corps in full regallea with the most magnificent arrangement of ESOM I could muster, I would take my own camera crew and make a Youtube like video of ESOM right in front of the State Farm Insurance world wide headquarters and I would thank the State Farm people for the wonderful job they do helping kids. I would make it a professional production and give the final tape to State Farm with the sincere thanks of the Madiosn Scouts, Drum Corps International, and non-profit charities everywhere.

As the director, I wouldn't ask for a thing. I would let all that great grass roots publicity get out there for State Farm, and let natural consequences take its own path.

And then I'd wait to see what happens.

Well, if you think I've got any powers, even if they be unofficial, then, hey...sure. Consider yourself appointed. :tongue:

(everybody sing) Like a good neighbor, Madison Scouts are there..

Thanks Boo, but forget mechanical rights, we're lookin' full blown corporate sponsorship with this deal. :cool:

Edited by wvu80

• 4 years later...

It was appropriate for the licensing company to just say "no" rather than risk spilling the beans about why they couldn't say "no."

I must respectfully disagree. The licensing company could have simply given a "no - the sync rights have been granted for an exclusive period and we CAN'T grant such rights at this time". Even that would have prevented a significant chunk of the misunderstanding. Sure, the company has no requirement to handle it that way - but good grief...

I must respectfully disagree. The licensing company could have simply given a "no - the sync rights have been granted for an exclusive period and we CAN'T grant such rights at this time". Even that would have prevented a significant chunk of the misunderstanding. Sure, the company has no requirement to handle it that way - but good grief...

You pulled this thread out of a 4-1/2 year vault; okay. A licensing company is not in existence to placate our curiosity as to why something was rejected. Please remember, we do not own the property; it is sort of like when a person knocks on someone's door to seek a transaction and the property owner just says 'no' then shuts the door. And as a business person who deals with musical transactions on a daily basis I am more than fine with that.

i did hear rumors of dci cutting a nice check to Tresona which should ease many past issues