Cedarburg News Coverage

Check this out: Cedarburg News Spot

This has to be some of the best news coverage for an upcoming show that I have ever seen that could really grab the attention of folks who know nothing of DCI. Great explanation, great video and great questions from the interviewers. Plus, it also has the Executive Director of Spirit of Atlanta, Dr. Todd Snead, offering his insight.

It would be awesome of DCI could get this kind of news coverage in other markets prior to shows...particularly large markets.

• Like 5

Box 5 TV spot? I think so. We need more like it!

I was there this morning and talking to a guy in a Piggly Wiggly t-shirt... little did I know it was Dr. Snead. Welcomed them back to Wisconsin, talked about some tweaks they were working on with the guard, talked about some history, talked some weather. Glad I didn't know who he was, I probably would have acted like some giddy kid rather than just some random drum corps nut. hehe! :tongue:

Eager as all get-out for tomorrow's show!

• Like 1

The city holds a great parade the next day too.

Major Madison Scouts fans in that city.

I believe the Mad Men have a special concert they do for the people at the end of the parade.

This is from the parade event page:

"This year we are excited to confirm that the Madison Scouts, Pioneer and Spirit of Atlanta marching bands will all participatein the parade, and the Madison Scouts will put on a rousing concert in the park after the parade."

I always stay overnight to see this parade.

It's one of my favorites!

• Like 1

How do bands and corps differ? Todd Snead says: "It's not a band. The primary difference is the intensity and the level at which we perform. These are really world-class performers from all over the world; they're doing this all over the country, the best of the best--that's the biggest difference. And also, the minor difference is that we don't have woodwind instruments: we don't have clarinets and flutes out there. We just have brass, percussion, and color guard. But a lot of it is how we perform and how we travel: that's not really like a high school band."

Thanks for posting this!

• Like 1

The city holds a great parade the next day too.

Major Madison Scouts fans in that city.

I believe the Mad Men have a special concert they do for the people at the end of the parade.

This is from the parade event page:

"This year we are excited to confirm that the Madison Scouts, Pioneer and Spirit of Atlanta marching bands will all participatein the parade, and the Madison Scouts will put on a rousing concert in the park after the parade."

I always stay overnight to see this parade.

It's one of my favorites!

No only that, but the owners of the Piggly Wiggly there are big Scouts fans. I marched with the son of the owner. Not sure if they do it for all corps, but they lay out a BIG spread and feed the Scouts at this show. And free Piggly Wiggly t-shirts are included.

How do bands and corps differ? Todd Snead says: "It's not a band. The primary difference is the intensity and the level at which we perform. These are really world-class performers from all over the world; they're doing this all over the country, the best of the best--that's the biggest difference. And also, the minor difference is that we don't have woodwind instruments: we don't have clarinets and flutes out there. We just have brass, percussion, and color guard. But a lot of it is how we perform and how we travel: that's not really like a high school band."

Thanks for posting this!

Yep, that was one of my favorite parts :thumbup:

Thanks for posting this!

Wait...so instrumentation is a minor difference? But I thought....doh.gifcool.gifthumbup.gif

The Cedarburg show is one of the best promoted drum corps shows around. Print ads, radio ads, and television ads... You name it! Add in the media coverage that they have gotten, and I've been thoroughly impressed with the job that they've done at getting the word out. I've seen some years where they've sold out the whole grandstand on the front sideline and then filled half of the back sideline!

I can remember Stillwater being like that. Used to be at this crappy little dump of a stadium, yet they'd have a two night show with virtually all of the top 20 and would fill both sides. Was pretty amazing, actually.