Religion while on tour.

A few corps I've worked with had random times when people could get together. Often before a long trip or on a Sunday the director would let members know that a prayer circle would be forming right before dinner let say, it was optional to attend and lasted a few minutes. One summer we had a girl that found a church when she could, and sometimes missed rehearsal for it. She was in the pit and that was part of the deal when she accepted her spot in the corps.

Personally I think corps should set aside 15 minutes on Saturday or Sunday for personal reflection. A staff member or corps member would take charge and do a semi formal non-denominational service. Members that didn't want to participate would just have to spend the time doing something, anything, else. If you have special spiritual needs, you could really do it over the phone with your home paster. This is 2012, Skype or cell phone etc.

Religion doesn't have to be about dressing up and spending an hour in a church one hour a week. It can be about personal prayer daily, or taking a few minutes out of an hour lunch or packing time to reflect. If your religion doesn't allow for this, and your corps doesn't allow you practice the way you see fit, then you must make the choice.

• Like 2

Posting Guidelines: Members shall not post --

--any reference to material considered political or religious in nature

I've removed a number of posts. Keep it civil, and discuss the topic at hand.

Then why don't you remove the whole thread considering the whole thing is based around religion? Or is it more that you just want to filter the anti-religious viewpoint?

• Like 2

The thread is about religion on tour, and how members and corps deal with it. That topic is perfectly acceptable.

Posting your opinions about religion is not acceptable. I think that's pretty clear.

• Like 4

For those who have marched during the DCI touring era, how did corps handle members who whished to attend a service during the weekend, whether on tour or during monthly camps? Or do they just blow it off during those times? Sorry deity, sorry Mom.

(Note: In early 65 BAC stopped off near Rooservelt Stadium in Union, NJ to attend Mass. We came in last. The corps never attended any religious service (as far as I know) since then.)

Most of those that marched BAC back then in '65 probably havn't been back to Catholic Mass since, so I woudn't sweat the personal, multi denominational religious ( or non religious ) angle time of those that march today while on tour, if I was you.

Edited by BRASSO

Yes. Crossmen have Bible study on the schedule

• Like 1

The thread is about religion on tour, and how members and corps deal with it. That topic is perfectly acceptable.

Posting your opinions about religion is not acceptable. I think that's pretty clear.

Ok well hmm...let me rephrase this post then.

I don't think corps should allow any time away from practice to make room for religion because it is a waste of rehearsal time that could be better spent learning about how to play and march better. Religion should be kept out of drum corps as any of the time devoted to practicing religion takes away from time that could be spent practicing in a way that will directly benefit your corps and the fans.

It also would be offensive to members that are not religious or that do not share the same religion, either because they feel that those members would be receiving special treatment away from practice, or that because everyone is forced to take time off for some people to observe then their product might suffer competitively or from an entertainment standpoint. Depending on the religion it could also offend members of the LGBT community who obviously are well represented throughout the activity. Drum Corps is about drum corps, and anything that distracts from that should stay home.

Edited by Geoff
  • Like 1

Then why don't you remove the whole thread considering the whole thing is based around religion? Or is it more that you just want to filter the anti-religious viewpoint?

This is a "privately owned" site. The team can allow, or disallow, what they want when they want.

• Like 1

Here we go... :ph34r:

• Like 1

Ok well hmm...let me rephrase this post then.

I don't think corps should allow any time away from practice to make room for religion because it is a waste of rehearsal time that could be better spent learning about how to play and march better. Religion should be kept out of drum corps as any of the time devoted to practicing religion takes away from time that could be spent practicing in a way that will directly benefit your corps and the fans.

It also would be offensive to members that are not religious or that do not share the same religion, either because they feel that those members would be receiving special treatment away from practice, or that because everyone is forced to take time off for some people to observe then their product might suffer competitively or from an entertainment standpoint. Depending on the religion it could also offend members of the LGBT community who obviously are well represented throughout the activity. Drum Corps is about drum corps, and anything that distracts from that should stay home.

Is that PC enough to not make anyone here cry and start deleting posts?

a) To be consistent that open time to read or pray would take away from rehearsal time your opinion must also apply to free time, laundry time, chow time, sleep time, shower time, rest breaks, ... all of which bite into rehearsal time.

b) Talk to any psychologist, psychiatrist, doctor, educator, etc... and you will be informed that every person needs there own down time (ie free time) especially when engaged in a stressful activity like drum corps. And if you are offended by what someone else does on there own free time, whether it is read, pray, sleep, play hacky-sack, etc... then that is not problem of the other person but a problem of yours.

• Like 7