Blue Devils on top...really?

Perhaps....or maybe it was because nobody else had a good show that year either. I mean 02 was probably the weakest year of DCI in regards to show design and entertainment value. I mean a D2 corps made Finals along with Cascades that year....and that's not knocking Cascades, but that just sorta says it all about 2002

Well, in all fairness Magic (for all of their problems) wasn't really a D2 corps... at least not on the field.

Wow, and that's ALL they do. For 11 minutes. Got it.

(You are really letting your homerism (which isn't a bad thing, per se) ruin your impression of the show...)

BS! This has nothing to do with my homerism. I would feel the same way if Crown were in 11th place like they were during my days.

You don't need 11 minute of bad design to ruin a show....you just need a segment. We've already discussed the narration over the horns at the beginning, We've discussed the scatter "blobs".....and there is this section during the middle of the show that just screeches to a halt the entire production. You don't have to be a Crown fan to see this.

I am biased towards CMFC....but I'm not a blind follower.

• Like 1

And that's what we're lacking in DCI judging. Judges who aren't afraid and push the activity back in the direction of MUSIC. Having a vision can be contagious. That vision usually needs to lie with the head judge ... but I haven't seen a head judge with a vision of their own in over 30 years. They don't buck the trend ... they don't demand a change .. they comply with what WGI is doing as a good enough explanation and even push for the corps to design in that fashion. This is why you now have a highly VISUAL activity with mediocre expectations with regards to Music.

Is not the fact that the past few years the judges have been rewarding BD shows that buck the conventional trend showing a new vision?

BS! This has nothing to do with my homerism. I would feel the same way if Crown were in 11th place like they were during my days.

You don't need 11 minute of bad design to ruin a show....you just need a segment. We've already discussed the narration over the horns at the beginning, We've discussed the scatter "blobs".....and there is this section during the middle of the show that just screeches to a halt the entire production. You don't have to be a Crown fan to see this.

I am biased towards CMFC....but I'm not a blind follower.

Please check my follow up post, as I think that you did end up reading my original in a way that I didn't intend...

Now, about the changing thing... I have only seen BD on Fan Network... and I didn't even notice the uniform change at first (is it not done during the hoop thing by the guard?) I may not even know that they even had a uniform change if it didn't get so much talk on here... So for me, it wasn't that the show ground to an abrupt halt.

I agree on the narration, I think it's over the top and distracting. As far as the "blobs", maybe I am nuts, but I have always LIKED BD's visual style... it's different, and they do it very, very well.

That all said... I am actually pulling for your team this year, for many reasons, none of which are ABBD.

I wanted to clarify, because my original post probably comes across a lot more snarky than I intended...

I posted somewhere (maybe this thread?) that, as I have gotten older, my level of concern with scores/placements has gone way, way down. As a result, my enjoyment of shows has gotten considerably higher. Sure, I will still wade into the debates, because they are fun, and so is drum corps. At the end of the day, there are (more now than before) shows I like, and shows that just don't do it for me. If the show that gets the highest number on a Saturday in August is one of the latter, it really doesn't matter, because I have the other shows to enjoy from now on.

Thanks for the clarification.....and I like you, don't care about the scores after August. When the DVD/BluRays come out, I watch the shows I like, and skip the shows I don't. I often watch shows that didn't do it for me and I find that I like them better without the competitive aspect ruining the perception.

I was a BIG Cadets 98 fan.....I hated BD 98...but BD 98 is one of my favorite shows of all time now after the season was over and I got to watch that show over and over and over.

I put more stock into MUSIC than anything visual or "conceptual", and I want to like corps that grab me musically first and foremost. I haven't gotten that from BD since 2008.

I hear this so often from those who don't care for BD's style of show. Therefore it is interesting that in another current thread, BD is 2nd in votes (behind only Crown) for "Who has the best show (Overall)?".

Just saying, its fine to speak to one's own preferences, but care needs to be taken when presuming to know the thoughts and preferences of the entire DC fan base.

Thanks for your comments, Jim. DCI Monkey, you're clearly not a BD fan. We get it!! Jeez, how many digs- and in how many different ways- do you need to say it? :rock:

• Like 1

Thanks for the clarification.....and I like you, don't care about the scores after August. When the DVD/BluRays come out, I watch the shows I like, and skip the shows I don't. I often watch shows that didn't do it for me and I find that I like them better without the competitive aspect ruining the perception.

I was a BIG Cadets 98 fan.....I hated BD 98...but BD 98 is one of my favorite shows of all time now after the season was over and I got to watch that show over and over and over.

I put more stock into MUSIC than anything visual or "conceptual", and I want to like corps that grab me musically first and foremost. I haven't gotten that from BD since 2008.

Fair point... I actually like last year's BD show a TON because I really enjoy the music... my favorite musical book from them since 2004. (Still have not really come around on 98 though!)

• Like 1

Thanks for your comments, Jim. DCI Monkey, you're clearly not a BD fan. We get it!! Jeez, how many digs- and in how many different ways- do you need to say it? :rock:

I am a BD fan..... just not in certain years :tongue:

<Way #2035>

Let me just add this addendum, I Really like Cavaliers "historically", but last year when they were winning with their "A Coachroach on Stilts" program, I was just as vocal about why I thought that was crazy!

If you know ME as a person, you know I don't pull for a corps logo and uniform (except maybe my own) but I pull for shows. Some years I LOVE, BD, Cavies, Cadets, PR, SCV, Bluecoats... other years, I hate them. Just depends on the year, and the offering.

Edited by DCImonkey

I am a BD fan..... just not in certain years :tongue:

<Way #2035>

Oh, ok.... so, every year after 2008 they have sucked a**?

• Like 1

Oh, ok.... so, every year after 2008 they have sucked a**?

2009 - I thought the wrong team won obviously. It wasn't a bad show, but this is more opinion....over rewarded so to speak. I'll live with it.

2010 - Incredible visual concept! Yawnful musical offering performed extremely well. (see, I love music more than visual)

2011 - Much better musically. Engaging, but not "baby throwing" excitement. I'm not a big Burt B. fan. I was constantly reminded of when he was a guest on American Idol, or when he appeared atop the Double Decker Bus in Austin Powers. So, the entire year, i was thinking about Austin Powers rather than BD. strange now that I think of it.

sucks? No. They don't suck this year either, but I am not a fan of the offering