Blue Devils on top...really?

The 'average Joe' doesn't come to a DC show to watch basically what that Youtube video shows. They come for excitement, intensity, showmanship and to be entertained. Who the flip cares about Dada or even knows what the heck it is?? And shut the flip up with the narration! Good grief does it go on and on and on and is so distracting!! I don't speak French, don't care to learn to either to understand a nonsense show. I'm gonna be blunt here....I'm old school DC and this sucks, period! Gimme a Madison front blowing my face off while the drumline is rocking in the rear riding with cymbals and the place is going absolutely nuts. THAT, my young friends, is what DRUM CORPS is all about!! Forget all this other nonsense. Just shut up and blow my fricking face off already! Tired of all this cerebral BS!!!! That isn't what DC is about..you want that, go watch a Opera....gimme my DRUM CORPS back!

With that kind of statement, it tells me two things; you are young, and you don't know what drum corps is really about from a historical perspective.

The corps I first fell in love with was the Santa Clara Vanguard in 1981, Young Person's Guide to Drum Corps version. When all the other top corps of the era were power corps trying to melt your face off with each song, the Vanguard went its own way and was the finesse corps of the day, probably the 4th-6th loudest corps that year, but man they were unbelievable. All you could do as a fan and watch with AWE the precision of their marching and playing. This was the DCI world champion, doing it their way, not everybody else's way.

Drum corps is now, and always has been exactly what it means to EACH and EVERY viewer, for who they are, and where they are in their life. That's why I liked simplistic bubble gum music as a child (think Beatles, I want to hold your hand), and now I like jazz and classical. I've grown musically as a person as the years have gone by.

I didn't always like Blue Devils. To be honest, they were way ahead of me where I was as a young person, back in the day. Now, they offer new musical selections that make me grow as as a fan, as I learn and enjoy things I never knew before.

Just as a person like yourself will grow as well, if I'm correct about your love for drum corps and your passion.

Timing is everything, my young friend. :cool:

Edited by wvu80

Its not a great BD show... HOWEVER!!! I can not ignore the talent of this corps. They are the definition of consistency. Sadly, I can't say that about The Cavaliers right now (although they are making some nice improvements and getting better... hope things turn up for them soon...). BD is the definition of great execution every single year.

So final thoughts from me... I may not like the show, BUT I have complete and full respect towards this corps. Those young adults are really marching the heck out of the show! :thumbup:

• Like 1

That's what I don't get ... fans just seem to politely applaud the Blue Devils. Big hands all around for Crown and Madison at the two show's I've been to. With the new judge's sheets with the emphasis on entertainment this year, I don't see how BD is winning all these shows by the wide margin in ALL captions that they are. Ok, I'd give them several of the captions, but all of them?

I get that the judges have been trained by Michael Cesanario, but Mike is this going the way you thought it would?

Ok, BD is clean, but come on judges a clean sweep in ALL captions. IMO there are several corps that are out entertaining BD this year. With the new scoring sheets how can you ignore the fan reactions?

Of course this is DCI and judging has been messed up for a long time! Mike I hope you can get your money back on that new score sheet you sold … it's a FAIL in my book.

How do we even know if the judges are actually using the new scoring system if the 'audience appeal' isn't shown in the recaps?

“When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” - C.S. Lewis

• Like 1

How do we even know if the judges are actually using the new scoring system if the 'audience appeal' isn't shown in the recaps?

True. DCI did change the judging system, but doesn't look like they brought in any new judges. How can you really say the judging system is different if the judges didn't change? It's like changing how Congress works, but keeping the same people. It's won't make any difference. I think that DCI could use a lot more transparency with judging, especially the "why" of how things are judged. I know it's all subjective, but even after reading the sheets, there really isn't much of a "why" to the way that judges give out their specific scores.

• Like 1

"Audience appeal" isn't on the sheets.

You are correct. The proper terminology is "Audience Engagement".

http://issuu.com/drumcorpsinternational/docs/2012_judging_sheets_full_set/21

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

"Boys don't mature as they grow up; they just get older." -wvu80 :rolleyes:

1342578901[/url]' post='3176114']

The 'average Joe' doesn't come to a DC show to watch basically what that Youtube video shows. They come for excitement, intensity, showmanship and to be entertained. Who the flip cares about Dada or even knows what the heck it is?? And shut the flip up with the narration! Good grief does it go on and on and on and is so distracting!! I don't speak French, don't care to learn to either to understand a nonsense show. I'm gonna be blunt here....I'm old school DC and this sucks, period! Gimme a Madison front blowing my face off while the drumline is rocking in the rear riding with cymbals and the place is going absolutely nuts. THAT, my young friends, is what DRUM CORPS is all about!! Forget all this other nonsense. Just shut up and blow my fricking face off already! Tired of all this cerebral BS!!!! That isn't what DC is about..you want that, go watch a Opera....gimme my DRUM CORPS back!

Ya know, the last time I checked, Madison was still wowing the crowd with their company front, a rotating one at that.The last time I checked, the Cadets were still pleasing fans with their style of drill.The last time I checked, Phantom was still thrilling people with their wonderful ability to build to and then deliver a wonderful emotional musical climax.The last I checked, SCV was still building wonderful shows with their special interpretation of classical music.The last time I checked, corps like Boston, Crossmen, and the Colts were still giving their fans their best possible performances.

Nobody needs to "give anybody their Drum Corps back .... Because the last time I checked, nobody had taken any of it away.

I've been attending DC shows for well over 50 years. I enjoy all of the corps mentioned above, for the reasons mentioned and many more. But I also enjoy watching a corps like BD offer up something of a different flavor as well.

I seldom voice my frustration on DCP, but I am honestly just fed up with the line of thinking that by BD presenting their style of show, that a fan is somehow deprived of a quality DC experience, and that "something needs to be done about it, G-- D--- it!" [my quote for emphasis]. If your favorite corps style is that of the Cadets, the Cavies, or whomever, enjoy the heck out of them ( I'll probably be right there with you), but please afford me the courtesy of allowing me to enjoy the corps I like without having to endure the constant complaints about how they have no place in Drum Corps. As I said, nobody has taken away your Drum Corps, so please, stop insisting on taking away Mine.

Sportster, please understand this is not meant as a personal attack on you. Your post just happened to be there at right (or wrong time tongue.gif).

Edited by Photographer Jim
  • Like 4